It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: America Has Now Become a Nation of “Tent Cities”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by boymonkey74

"He is just saying it in general.....
He is also right...why don't you say sorry now eh? "

I only apologize if I'm wrong. I'm not wrong about this. Perhaps you guys are right but the person who made the comment hasn't replied so it's all just speculation.

I haven't responded because I didn't take you seriously. I thought you were just trolling me as you sounded like a parody with your moral indignation over your inability to read what I was saying.

I wasn't saying anything about YOU. I said that, unless you are a part of the viscous cycle (poverty / homelessness), it's difficult to see their perspective. Then I said that, unless you are at least middle class, you are also in danger of homelessness in the event of a family death, sickness, injury, or a home disaster.

You are the one assuming you know people when you say that "they are all lazy". Don't you think you sound like a parody? I thought you were kidding.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

deathmode
I know I will likely take heat for this but the housing bubble was the fault of the consumer. There was a study done and something like 70% of the issue had to do with straight of lying by homebuyers on their financial situation. Bottom line; they signed the papers, they agreed to balloon payments, they lied about income to get into the big house. Did any of them go to jail. No.

You need to educate yourself deathmode.

Investment Bankers conjured up a way to package mortgage securities into bundles, good and bad and pawned them off to investors the world over. They could not get enough of them to sell, so they lobbied the US Government to ease lending restrictions and also trained their investors to make a sell to anyone with a pulse. They were called Liars Loans and they were the ones pushing it.

Tell me where were all the "lying home buyers" and why was it not a problem until Wall Street created these instruments?
Those at top on Wall Street knocked down every barrier in their way for this scheme to take place. It must be nice when you can write your own rules and regulations and then pass off to your cronies in DC. Then, when it fails, cry foul that it is not your responsibility for these policies and we demand a bail out from the tax payers.

The solution is to BOOT Wall Street out of the US Government

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

beezzer
I've seen many posts where banks, bankers were to blame. Politicians are to blame.

And that seems to be the problem.

No-one is saying, "Hey, I over spent, I over credited, I over did it".

No-one is taking responsibility!!!

What the hecky-darns????

YOUR LIFE IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. YOUR LIFE IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE GOVERNMENT. GROW A PAIR AND LIVE YOUR LIFE HOW YOU WANT. DO WHAT YOU WANT, LIVE HOW YOU WANT, BE WHO YOU WANT.

JUST DON'T ASK ME TO SPONSOR IT.

Personal Responsibility requires Independence and Freedom to be allowed to succeed or fail on our own but the system we have is one of enslavement and deception. Where are the policies from the government or any party for that matter that promote independence?

You either work for the government, someone else or yourself so that your productivity trickles up to the thieves on Wall Street. Where are the policies promoting independence from the system so that we can have full accountable on our own? People could start an enclave deep in the forest but the government thugs would come boot you out as they have done to others many times.

The point I am making is that, you have no choice not to play in this monopoly game that is rigged that they have set up short of death and the policies they make effect everyone.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

jacobe001

beezzer
I've seen many posts where banks, bankers were to blame. Politicians are to blame.

What the hecky-darns????

YOUR LIFE IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. YOUR LIFE IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE GOVERNMENT. GROW A PAIR AND LIVE YOUR LIFE HOW YOU WANT. DO WHAT YOU WANT, LIVE HOW YOU WANT, BE WHO YOU WANT.

Personal Responsibility requires Independence and Freedom to be allowed to succeed or fail on our own but the system we have is one of enslavement and deception. Where are the policies from the government or any party for that matter that promote independence?

You either work for the government, someone else or yourself so that your productivity trickles up to the thieves on Wall Street. Where are the policies promoting independence from the system so that we can have full accountable on our own? People could start an enclave deep in the forest but the government thugs would come boot you out as they have done to others many times.

The point I am making is that, you have no choice not to play in this monopoly game that is rigged that they have set up short of death and the policies they make effect everyone.

Bullshirt! You can still determine your own destiny.

Though the weak will proclaim otherwise.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

If you can't afford it then don't eat it, drive it, or marry it.

Which explains why going on millions of Americans live in tent cities, homeless shelters and the like. Fortunately, many tent cities provide bus service into 'town' so people can get to work. Meaning they don't have homes OR cars. But they ARE living within their means.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by soficrow

Ridiculous.

To say that all homeless people are lazy is just an example of an opinion of someone who refuses to actually look into and research anything.

Sure hope you don't think I said all homeless people are lazy. ...Didn't say it. Don't think it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

beezzer

The weak would be the ones that have to pony up to the government to serve them over the expense to the rest of the country. That is not capitalism, that is not responsible and that is what Wall Street is ALL ABOUT

There is no PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY or ACCOUNTABILITY exhibited when you have politicians on Speed Dial!

The rules you set forth for the people in this country consist of one rule for the top elite and a different rule for everyone else where they have to slog it alone.

The true Collective Communists in this country is not the 99% but the top .5% that engage in board room conversations, back room deals, political kick backs, Commie Chinese Trade Pacts and so forth, but DAM if the people below them organize together to put a stop to it.
edit on 13-12-2013 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
seems everyone discussing whose fault it is, whether the government could do more or people aren't doing enough.
its a problem for sure but equally so is building concrete jungles

the problem in a way will always exist, how do people in power and those who are not share.
edit on 13-12-2013 by guidetube because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I think people are just lazy. They want a home, a car they want to go on vacation but they don't want to work.

For most of us it's a fact that if you want a paycheck you need to work for somebody else . Don't tell me there's no work available because that's bs. It may not be the job you want but I'm sure it's better than living in a "tent city".

If you are an American, this is about the most cold hearted callous thing you could say. Our economy is in the crapper, and not knowing your position, but you obviously feel secure. Your "I got mine, now you get yours" mentality is an insult to everything that America has ever stood for.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

justreleased

Cuervo

justreleased

I think people are just lazy. They want a home, a car they want to go on vacation but they don't want to work.

For most of us it's a fact that if you want a paycheck you need to work for somebody else . Don't tell me there's no work available because that's bs. It may not be the job you want but I'm sure it's better than living in a "tent city".

It's a viscous cycle that's difficult to see when you are not a part of it. People don't need to be unemployed to lose their homes. People are losing their homes all the time due to all sorts of scenarios.

Unless you are at least middle class, you are one major illness away from being homeless, yourself.

LOL. How do you know I'm "not part of it" ? I own a home. I manage my bills. I work for a living.

You're an ass. You say I'm not at least middle class? You know nothing of my income or my family.

Apologize.

You are the typical person in America, because you think you have earned everything you have on your own, but you won't lift a finger to help someone out, some thing tells me, you also claim to be a Christian. I hope Karma bites you bad.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

soficrow

F&S for you. But did you know? Tent cities started springing up big time back around 2000-2001 - and they're routinely destroyed by police responding to complaints from "concerned citizens."

Tent city dismantled

This is an unfortunate situation, unfortunately my own metro area has been involved.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by soficrow

Not sure if this was in response to my reply but it's the impression I recieve.

It's undeniable that many have suffered. How many of those people attempted to buy a house with a ridiculous mortgage? How many charged their credit cards to the max. ? How many drove a new car they knew they couldn't afford?

I'll give you the answer.....99%.

If you can't afford it then don't eat it, drive it, or marry it.

Peace.

You have some amazing statistics there, would you mind providing a source for your awesome amount of information?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

What he posted is absurd. Banks knowingly gave sub prime loans to people they knew couldn't afford it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by boymonkey74

I wish no ill will toward anyone.

My simple point is that people should live within their means. If you opt to buy the expensive car or home then you should be able to afford the payments.

The people who accepted the huge loans from the banks caused the housing market crash, not the banks. If those people had paid their agreed upon loans there would have been no crash. Simple stuff folks.

People need to accept responsibility for their mistakes.

edit on 13-12-2013 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

Maybe you need to live in 800 square feet, and drive a car you paid cash for. Maybe there are a lot of things you need to do. By doing the things above, I am able to donate $200 bucks a month to charity, what are you doing to help you fellow man, wait, I know the answer, abosolutely f'ng nothing.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

beezzer

Have you ever noticed that when a republican is in office, all the news is about is the homeless and tent cities.

Yet when a liberal gets in office, the homeless problem never makes the news anymore.

SnF for your noble efforts!

Hadn't honestly thought about that one, but you are right. No matter how well the country is doing, there is a certain percentage of homeless, and yeah I have to admit, that during republican administrations they get more coverage.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

deathmode
I know I will likely take heat for this but the housing bubble was the fault of the consumer. There was a study done and something like 70% of the issue had to do with straight of lying by homebuyers on their financial situation. Bottom line; they signed the papers, they agreed to balloon payments, they lied about income to get into the big house. Did any of them go to jail. No.

As for unemployment, I've spoken to people getting benefits and they honestly told me they didn't decide to get off their ass until the benefits ran out. They also did nothing with the time to improve their situation like getting a new skill or seriously looking for work. Nothing.

This may not be the case for some but it the case for many. They want all the stuff but are not willing to do what it takes like making uncommon sacrifices. Delaying having kids, marriage, buying crap, or planning way ahead. I'm not even empathetic because I see this stuff at work of co-workers talking about their struggles but they are also showing me things on FB on their smartphone. Screw them. I went for years without a phone, no TV, a POS car, and was responsible with my money. I finally have the things I've always wanted because I worked and paid my dues for those things. I also would do it all over again and d start from the bottom if I had to without complaining. I would work at effin Taco Bell if I had too with a smile on my face.

You quote a lot of things to be facts, please provide your sources.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

beezzer

What the hecky-darns????

There were a lot of people hurt in this last financial crisis, through layoffs, etc. They had no control over this, they were not bad employees, but they couldn't find another job. No job, no money, can't make my payments, even though I have for the last 20 years, and now, according to you, they are the bad guys. I am just not seeing how the "I made mine, now you make yours" attitude is helping anything, person, situation, etc.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

jacobe001

beezzer

What the hecky-darns????

We have a lot of independence and freedom to do what we want, we also have to abide by our local, county, and state regulations. The tea party promotes local regulation, but at least, where I live, this is what defeats local business. If I want to start a business, I have to have a local, county, and state license. The federal government is not involved at all. Keep supporting local government, and keep imagining they have your best interest at heart.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

beezzer

jacobe001

beezzer

What the hecky-darns????

Apparently Beez you live a charmed life, I though I had it under control, until I got hurt in 06, wife's company went bankrupt in 07, through no fault of our own we lost our house. Fortunately we have family, and we all kind of look after each other, that is what has been lost in the American experience, I was fortunate in that I got to care for my grandfather the last 6 months of his life, and he died at 95.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

justreleased

That's real easy for you to say. Why don't you switch lives with them and then see if you think they are lazy. By the way you don't have to be lazy to be thrown out on your ass.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join