It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: America Has Now Become a Nation of “Tent Cities”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I find this so disgusting! I know hard working people that have lost their homes. I to have been fighting foreclosure!

We give other countries billions and billions of dollars and we can't take care of own

Homelessness and hunger are spreading across America, according to a new survey. America’s homeless are not just the mentally ill or drug addicts. They are college graduates, veterans returning from the war, and middle class families who have fallen on hard times.

U.S. cities like Greenville, S.C. are experiencing rapid growth of new homeless communities forming as the economy takes another downturn. Those who cannot find new homes can find shelter in a “Tent City,” a community of homeless people who live in tents and makeshift homes made from tarps. These new “tribes” can be found throughout the city, under bridges and in nearby woods. For many, Tent Cities have become America’s new norm.

Read more: benswann.com...
Follow us: @BenSwann_ on Twitter

It's happening in cities by me...not enough homeless shelters.

benswann.com...

Hunger 'games' set to worsen with homelessness on the rise across America, survey says!

Homelessness and hunger are spreading across America, according to a survey which looked at 25 big cities, including LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and Washington; 21 percent of the demand for food assistance hasn’t been met during the past year.

Last year's national poverty rate of 15 percent hovered near the Great Recession’s staggering record of 15 percent, according to the Census Bureau. Although the US stock market has surpassed its pre-recession high, poor residents of some major American cities have not gained from the country's economic wins, the new report has shown. The number of people in the poverty trap went up from 46.2 million in 2011 to 46.5 million in 2012. These figures remained slightly changed from 2010 when the number of poor people reached the highest level in the more than half-century that poverty estimates have been published. The poverty rate in 2012 was 2.5 percentage points higher than that reported in 2007, the year before the economic recession.

Over 80 percent of US cities reported that req

This is not just happening in major cities but smaller ones.
Twice a week my daughter who is a freshman at the university of New Haven helps feed the poor and homeless in New haven CT. what's great is the school supplies the food to give back to the community.

I asked her how I could help" can't do a lot I don't have any cash to spare" so I asked her I have coats, blankets ect. She marked thanks Dad we get enough that stuff what we really need is socks.
So I am setting up boxes at stores to collect sox.

I have my problems but there is always someone out their worst off than me.

rt.com...

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I think people are just lazy. They want a home, a car they want to go on vacation but they don't want to work.

For most of us it's a fact that if you want a paycheck you need to work for somebody else . Don't tell me there's no work available because that's bs. It may not be the job you want but I'm sure it's better than living in a "tent city".

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Teach your leaders that gaining respect and status is about helping others, not about collecting 99 percent of the wealth and things will change.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

justreleased

I think people are just lazy. They want a home, a car they want to go on vacation but they don't want to work.

For most of us it's a fact that if you want a paycheck you need to work for somebody else . Don't tell me there's no work available because that's bs. It may not be the job you want but I'm sure it's better than living in a "tent city".

It's a viscous cycle that's difficult to see when you are not a part of it. People don't need to be unemployed to lose their homes. People are losing their homes all the time due to all sorts of scenarios.

Unless you are at least middle class, you are one major illness away from being homeless, yourself.

(post by justreleased removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
All we can do bro is help each other

The beginning of the macro economic demise of this country was started when Reagan cut taxes for the rich and destroyed our trade policy that protected American workers.

Then the so called liberal progressive Bill Clinton passed NAFTA and let the pernicious devil of the Banksters loose on the world when he gutted the Glass Steegle act that required the separation of investment banks from regular savings banks.

Now the US is going the way of a third world country

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I can't get the interview to play with Explorer. Too bad, I like me some Ben Swann. He's one of my heroes in media.
You did give me an idea for Christmas though, thanks! Think I'll see if we have a tent city or find the homeless shelter and give out some nice warm socks, gloves and scarves. Failing that the Salvation Army is the best charity at actually getting help to those who need it instead of paying exorbitant salaries like the Red Cross does.

Good for you and your daughter doing what can to help others! Thank you and may God Bless your efforts.
We can make a difference even if our government is only concerned with helping those who are already filthy rich.

And Merry Christmas!
You are the first person to inspire me to even think about the holiday.
Cheers,
ATA

edit on 13-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

Hey Einstein... the poster wasn't commenting on YOUR socio-economic class. He/she was merely saying that unless a PERSON is middle class (i.e., has the financial security of at least that level), they are one major illness away from being homeless.

Try decaf once in awhile.

Sheesh.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

F&S for you. But did you know? Tent cities started springing up big time back around 2000-2001 - and they're routinely destroyed by police responding to complaints from "concerned citizens."

Tent city dismantled

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

justreleased

Yes some of that is true...BUT! When your over 55 it is tuff as hell to get a job.
Oh yeah they say no age discrimination...but guess what their is. I was a victim of it!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

soficrow

F&S for you. But did you know? Tent cities started springing up big time back around 2000-2001 - and they're routinely destroyed by police responding to complaints from "concerned citizens."

Tent city dismantled

Yes I understand ...but we know the government is putting pressure on the news channels. But it is getting worse look at some of the state's.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

The person quoted my post which leads me to believe it's a direct reply to my comment.

How am I wrong?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

He is just saying it in general.....
He is also right...why don't you say sorry now eh?

Back to the op at least in the UK If we get ill we do not have to worry about paying medical bills.
The banks instead of helping people to change their payment plans so at least they have a roof above their heads are just taking their homes because they can sell that property and make more money quicker.
It really is time that we ALL just take our money to credit unions instead of these twats.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Not just government - global corporations don't want anyone to know how bad things really are til they finish dotting the i's and crossing the t's on their "trade" deals. Also, tent cities did not get coverage even when they first started appearing - it's always been hard to find any news about them - the extent, numbers anything. Just bits here and there - a documentary about one in Toronto, the closure of one in California. Not much more. But they are out there - lots and lots of them.

The situation is beyond horrible. Can you get pictures?

Ed to add: Can you add to this list?

List of tent cities in the United States

edit on 13/12/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

"He is just saying it in general.....
He is also right...why don't you say sorry now eh? "

I only apologize if I'm wrong. I'm not wrong about this. Perhaps you guys are right but the person who made the comment hasn't replied so it's all just speculation.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

justreleased

Cuervo

justreleased

It's a viscous cycle that's difficult to see when you are not a part of it. People don't need to be unemployed to lose their homes. People are losing their homes all the time due to all sorts of scenarios.

Unless you are at least middle class, you are one major illness away from being homeless, yourself.

LOL. How do you know I'm "not part of it" ? I own a home. I manage my bills. I work for a living.

You're an ass. You say I'm not at least middle class? You know nothing of my income or my family.

Apologize.

Hmm. Nasty.

In 2012, no news coverage in the states has focused on the problem of homelessness and "tent cities" in America. In fact, if you were an American citizen, you would think that this problem did not exist. The only media outlet that has covered this problem this year is the BBC.

...There are now 13 million unemployed Americans, which is three million more than when President Barack Obama was first elected.

The stark reality is that many of them are people who very recently lived comfortable middle-class lives.

For them, the economic downturn came too fast and many have been forced to trade their middle-class homes for lives in shelters, motels and at the far extreme, tented encampments.

...Tent cities have sprung up in and around at least 55 American cities - they represent the bleak reality of America's poverty crisis.

edit on 13/12/13 by soficrow because: add wd

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Not sure if this was in response to my reply but it's the impression I recieve.

It's undeniable that many have suffered. How many of those people attempted to buy a house with a ridiculous mortgage? How many charged their credit cards to the max. ? How many drove a new car they knew they couldn't afford?

I'll give you the answer.....99%.

If you can't afford it then don't eat it, drive it, or marry it.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Ridiculous.

To say that all homeless people are lazy is just an example of an opinion of someone who refuses to actually look into and research anything.

Either way, to softcrow: You are correct in regard to police dismantling tent cities. Actually as a homeless person that can find a city that has one of these is lucky. Most of the time you are just supposed to cease existence altogether.

I stand by my opinion that the best thing each city could do for people who are knocked off their feet facing homelessness is to have a designated tent city with showers and a place to get mail. It would make all the difference in regard to picking up the pieces after unexpected job loss or for those that just cannot afford housing(single minimum wage workers fall into this category). You cannot pay bills in many cities because cost of living is too high if you're making minimum wage. It just a reality that some people don't understand. The choice needs to be there for shanty town like living.

Even people that don't make much money and need to stay somewhere for awhile to save up or pay off bills could benefit from them. It's hard living but some people might choose that route over a home if it meant getting back on feet.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

So everything runs perfectly for people all the time eh?
Many things can take a middle class family from living a nice life with a car a home etc to having no money, no home, Illness, the economy, mental health issues.
You do not know what is right around the corner, life can throw you a pie in the face when you don't realise it.
You saying that these folk are just lazy is just ignorance and I hope your life is always perfect and nothing goes wrong through no fault of your own.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I wish no ill will toward anyone.

My simple point is that people should live within their means. If you opt to buy the expensive car or home then you should be able to afford the payments.

The people who accepted the huge loans from the banks caused the housing market crash, not the banks. If those people had paid their agreed upon loans there would have been no crash. Simple stuff folks.

People need to accept responsibility for their mistakes.

edit on 13-12-2013 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join