It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read the "New" forum before posting for craps sake!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with some of you people? Every time a breaking news story hits some idiot (or ten) comes on here and posts a Breaking News Headline. Are some of you people so freaking needy for stars and flags that you feel pressure to post it first and don't want to take a chance on not being "The One" who broke it on ATS first?

Here are a couple of thoughts:
1. If the story has been breaking on CNN for more than five minutes. Someone beat you to it.
2. Check the dam "New" thread before making it clear to many of us you are an attention whore.
3. If the story posted on any of the big alternative sites you may want to refer to number two above, before posting.

Rant off.
edit on 13-12-2013 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Did you see that there was a shooting at Arapahoe High School a little while ago?

It'll be ok. People are people after all. Sometimes they post so close together that they couldn't tell and other times I think they get excited. Either way the mods usually take care of it pretty quickly.

It is what it is and it will probably always happen. Be as one with the multiple posts.

edit on 12/13/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

This rant has also been posted before.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Drat!

-Peace-
edit on 13-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Someone beat me to it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

But why does this bother you? What do you have to do sort through duplicate posts? Just curious on why this is big deal to you. Also I hope you don't mind I don't S&F rants about people getting S&F's as it appeals to the hypocrite in me...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hey did you hear their was a school shooting in Colorado today?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sometimes people are in the midst of creating their thread when a minimal thread pops up first. It happens.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I done this recently (as in about a hour ago)

Now when i done it I did check out the "new" tab and I did not notice.

It was (shocker) a mistake on my part and nothing to do with me being a idiot, I have been working all day go check out the news and find something like that flashing up as breaking news. I run to ATS have a quick check of the new threads, dont see any, post the news, find that its already been posted, then put in a quick comment to say i have seen my mistake. END OF.

it happens every now and then, I will admit something that most probably wont admit to on this site.

I like to be the guy who breaks the news to you folks on ATS and I have at lest once before posted something only to find its already been posted. But most of the time I do notice, I notice that someone else has posted the news before me and I just add to a existing thread (as we all should be doing). If i have not noticed then usually with in the first 2 or 3 comments I will say "oops already posted".

As for Starts and flags, for me its just that i like to be the one who gets the scoops, if i get some S&F's along the way so be it but I am more interested in getting the ball running in what could turn out be a huge thread. That's what I am after I value response to my threads over anything else.

Most members are like this and behave just like this.

I see it all the time, quite often i am the guy with the "already posted sorry" comment on the first page because i spend quite a bit of time around ATS.

getting annoyed over it really is not going to achieve much.

and calling people "idiots" for doing something that you yourself might very well one day also do is probably a little.... well.... idiotic.
edit on 13-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Since you are posting out of sheer frustration and are not an "attention whore", and do not need stars or flags, I withheld both.

I recommend Xanax.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Most of us have done it before if we are honest. I have. I have reported myself just like you did earlier. It's a mistake and nothing more. If anything it is embarrassing to post a duplicate (to me anyway) so I do try hard to NOT do it.

I am not sure how anyone thinks that a board this huge should never have duplicate threads... if it never occurred that would be far more strange.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is some overlap and delay, I can admit that can cause multiple "New" topics. However look at the New section and you will see it just happened again. This time the guy claims to have searched before posting.

Clutter is clutter and some people are idiots. That will never change and that is why I posted this in Rants. You won't change my mind.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Mamatus
There is some overlap and delay, I can admit that can cause multiple "New" topics. However look at the New section and you will see it just happened again. This time the guy claims to have searched before posting.

Clutter is clutter and some people are idiots. That will never change and that is why I posted this in Rants. You won't change my mind.

Alrighty then. Know what the difference between a closed mind and a rock is? A rock will expand on occasion, depending on what forces are acting upon it. All a closed mind does is contract, no matter what.

Have a nice day.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

totally agree it is always a little embarrassing when you see you have posted the duplicate.

still does not make you a idiot as the OP seems to be saying.

which is ironic considering that this thread itself is probably a duplicate.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
After having been here a long time,trust me,this has always happened. Even I did it myself just recently and YES I searched first. But sometimes these things can be missed. Same topic,different forum,posting at same time,or an alternate news title throws you off. Duplicate threads are my pet peeve as well,but I deal with it by replying to the first thread posted and ignoring the rest.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Also:

*Before you make a new thread with a link, READ THE LINK.
Too often I see people who've rushed to post having only scanned the headline, and they end up postulating stupid questions that are answer in the same freaking news article that they linked to.
I've even seen people post youtube videos that they admit they havnt even watched yet.

*Before you reply to a post, READ IT.
Too many time I've seen idiots reply to the sensationalist headline as the thread topic, and start asking questions that are actually answered in the opening post they're replying to.

Of course, the extension to this is to actually read through a short thread before replying, to see if your question has been answered already, but since its hard enough getting ATS users to read past a single headline, thats never going to happen.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I suppose ats could just develop a php block with a news feed couldn't it.

btw, some of us the have read the sources before someone else posts them here.
edit on 13-12-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

top topics

join