It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Man Brings His White Girlfriend Into A Harlem Barbershop - Watch What Happens.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
These videos will restore your faith in humanity, just as long as you don't read the comments in any of said videos, because some of them are pretty bad.
edit on 13-12-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This show is treading dangerous territory with it's subversive agenda. On the surface it promotes some "greater good", but underneath it all it is social conditioning. For every injustice it seeks to right, it quietly enforces other stereotypes.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Jeez that last woman had soooooooo much wisdom and such a gentle spirit.... she moved my heart big time....

Take a look at a beautiful kept gardened flowerbed.... there you will see a thousand different colours and varieties of everything the same....flowers...

my son who is 13 years old was suspended from school for a few days because he told his teacher..there is no racism as there is only one race..the human race..and all our differences mean nothing other than the value we give to them...false or factual ....we're all human....and thats what we should look at more than our language/religious and skin colour... we are one family with a single mitochondrial mother.....

this 13 year old boy of mine blew me away as he did the Headmaster and the Governors of the school.....

Let me tell you something this next generation of kids poor or rich,,educated or illiterate share something we as this generation dont.... and my advice ?.. let them take their own future and build it themselves..... let them build on what little we gave them....let them just be human and explore what it is to be a human being in all its aspects..good/bad/indifferent/spiritual and scientific.... let them forge their own lives...

Weaves

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

wingsfan
This show is treading dangerous territory with it's subversive agenda. On the surface it promotes some "greater good", but underneath it all it is social conditioning. For every injustice it seeks to right, it quietly enforces other stereotypes.

Agreed. I've kept my tongue bitten on that aspect for now as I'm not sure how I'd want to comment on it yet. It's setup to be a very touchy path to tread if you want to challenge the surface appearance.

Some of the other shows that were linked in the earlier thread that included this video left me with a severe raised eyebrow.

/salute

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by weaverre

Why on earth would such a statement as that be grounds for suspension?!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

gardener
Wow

I was blown away by the gay woman's vibe!

Same here! Helping Us Grow Spiritually! What an awesome saying.

The way she handled it made me think completely differently about how I would handle that situation. If I was in a place like that full of white people and someone spoke like that about a black lady who walked in, I certainly would have spoke up, but I would have been very angry and they would have been beeping out my language to be honest.

That was before I saw how that gay lady handled it. She actually changed me.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I was moved by the sentiment, course I am a bit of a softy when it comes to humans of different races communing in a transcendent and positive fashion.
I dig a couple of statements:
"let's try to rise together" and "sometimes we need to step up so we don't fall back."

Thanks for a little inspiration. Even if it was just the one's who spoke out, that did not know they were on camera, their gestures were genuine and heartfelt.

Peace,
spec
edit on 13-12-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It does seem kind of fake. For example, I know that the lady is faking it. IMHO, the people are probably subconsciously picking up on it. The problem is not only is this show possibly causing undue stress on the others (by trying to convince them someone is being racist) but the outcome can't be trusted because there're probably subconscious things going on underneath.

Bottom line, I agree with the premise of the show we shouldn't judge people based on race or gender or anything else, but rather let their actions define them.

I think most racism is much much more subtle than this video. And it goes both ways, not just white on black but black on white. I think we're long past a point where it's mostly white people hating black people. I think it's much more spread out.

I was in shelters for a while and there were many dark skinned people and I am ofc white. I never once had any hate for them I only saw htem as people. I'm sure there'er prejudices between people but theyy're not obvious. For example, I think sometimes "insiders" distrust "outsiders" and judge them. This can be anywhere in any group or community. Even christians can be prejudiced against non-christians or military veterans prejudiced against non-military and so on.

See here:
www.wired.com - ‘Cuddle Chemical’ Also Fuels Favoritism, Bigotry...

Men given a dose of oxytocin, a hormone known to promote feelings of love and trust, have revealed the chemical’s dark side: It made them more ethnocentric.

When asked to resolve a moral dilemma, such as choosing to save five lives from a runaway train by sacrificing one life, oxytocin-sniffing Dutch men more often saved fellow countrymen over Arabs and Germans than those who didn’t get a hormonal whiff.

“Earlier research of oxytocin paints a very rosy view of it. We thought it was odd a neurological system that survived evolution would make people indiscriminately loving toward others,” said social psychologist Carsten De Dreu of the University of Amsterdam, co-author of a Jan. 10 study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. “Under oxytocin we saw an increase of in-group favoritism, which has the downside of discrimination against people who are not part of your group.”

edit on 13-12-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

BardingTheBard

kimish
The video was posted already by Spider. It's staged.

As Boncho pointed out... the *scenario* is staged of course... but as far as we know the reactions are not.

And if the customers reacting are also acting... then I'll still give a nod of approval to the enjoyable theater.

Win either way.

Think of "Rachael" as the visible portion of "TPTB" (politians, celebrities) with the host being the monitoring (NSA, CIA)... and all of us being the customers. We're all participating in a giant game of "will you support the people deliberately trying to provoke others... or will you stand up for those being provoked". "Will you take the bait to cheat your way to the top... or will you pass and earn it", etc. etc. The visible people being jerks know why they are being jerks... do those copying them or supporting them know why they are copying them?

I'm willing to continue to entertain that thought toward the whole spying revelations thing being part of disclosure... getting everyone used to the idea that we've already been being monitored in excruciating detail long before we were spying on ourselves. There is nothing about us that is not known by everyone "out there" if they wish to know it. The shock of that would be too much though... so first we get ourselves used to being spied on by ourselves and handling *that*... then work our way up to "them other observers".

/hug and have fun!
edit on 13-12-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

I like the perspective you take! I wish we all could see the world as clearly!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
This was very moving to watch, and it made me smile...

And despite the show staging the events so that they can tape the emotions and feelings, I still think it may be a good thing to examine.

We have had so much angst and pent-up bad feelings from the history's past, that being able to move forward is truly challenging in today's society. It takes supposedly 10 muscles to smile, 100 muscles to frown - How Many Muscles does it take to smile, although other research makes other claims, it's always the smile using less muscles and effort than the frown.

Could it be that if we all smiled and accepted one another a bit more that the world might be a bit better place to live in? I'm going to smile and think about the prospects of that scenario for awhile, will you join me?

edit on 12/13/2013 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

JohnnyAnonymous
This was very moving to watch...

And despite the show staging the events so that they can tape the emotions and feelings, I still think it may be a good thing to examine.

Staging things is NEVER good. Reality is a harsh and beautiful mistress. Cold yet warm, sad yet happy, evil yet righteous, ugly and also gorgeous. We must accept and embrace reality, not try to change it. Otherwise we are living in a facade.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

We must accept and embrace reality, not try to change it. Otherwise we are living in a facade.

Sometimes sure, but as a rule for always? Since we are part of and can affect reality, sometimes we have a duty to exercise our will, especially when it comes to helping others or reducing suffering.
Civil rights, heroic actions and sacrifice are part of who we are and what separates us from the animals.
I agree that everyone can't fix everything, but to say not to change anything ever is unbalanced,imo. By definition, would not doing nothing be considered a facade as well?
edit on 13-12-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stdscf12

I had to watch this video one more time.........It really touched me........Thank you.

I wish Mr. King could see just how far his dream has come in just a few short years. There are so many people holding back this message but yet it finds a way into all of our hearts and souls anyways.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

speculativeoptimist

We must accept and embrace reality, not try to change it. Otherwise we are living in a facade.

Sometimes sure, but as a rule for always? Since we are part of and can affect reality, sometimes we have a duty to exercise our will, especially when it comes to helping others or reducing suffering.
Civil rights, heroic actions and sacrifice are part of who we are and what separates us from the animals.
I agree that everyone can't fix everything, but to say not to change anything ever is unbalanced. By definition, would doing nothing be considered a facade as well?

Doing nothing is no good either, but pretending is still pretending. Just because it feels good doesn't make it right or real. Though his suggestion of smiling more was something I should of also addressed because I agree with that.

What I mean is, don't pretend to be good, try to live by it. And if you stumble in your endeavor, so what, try again tomorrow. We don't need tv shows and lies to make us know what is right, and we don't need the numbness and pretentiousness of being phoney. Do good things to make others feel good, not yourself.

This tv show strokes phony egos the same way the thumbs-up button on social media does. Someone can be a dick all day then come home and give approval to all the feel good stories they read. They don't do that to the betterment of those involved, they do it for themselves.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stdscf12

I'll admit that the lesson was wonderful, but like all reality shows, there wasn't a stitch of reality in the whole skit. What if this film crew and the actors came in and did their thing and no one said a word? That wouldn't make much of a show now would it? Reality on television depends on who's holding the camera and who's doing the editing.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

We don't need tv shows and lies to make us know what is right, and we don't need the numbness and pretentiousness of being phoney. Do good things to make others feel good, not yourself.

I guess we see it a little differently, which is okay and perhaps it is not an "either or" situation but a little of both applies. Sometimes various sources, including tv or music serve to inspire and as a result a change in attitude may emerge. The numbness and pretentiousness certainly fills more tv space than anything else, which is why a glimpse of something real and powerful, like the individuals who stood up to say something, is refreshing.

Some folks(maybe too many) live mostly reactionary lives, without much thought into things,so these sources can sometimes influence them for the better, though be it rare. Additionally, hope(not the Obama kind) or faith can sometimes be rekindled, as was my reaction to the vid, and I will take a little cheese with some hope sometimes.

Good things to make others feel good, selflessly? Absolutely!

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I just read your topic you posted in the general area. Incredible! That is what I mean, you're dealing with a harsh reality and found the beauty and importance in it. That's REAL life, not tv fantasy. In fact it really hit close to home, almost exactly.
edit on 14-12-2013 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
All black people in the united states.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Word, tv in general is poison and I guess I am a little optimistic in my perspective, searching for any little rays of goodness and supporting them, even blindly at times. I appreciate your perspective too though friend and thank you for the kind words regarding the other thread.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

wingsfan

speculativeoptimist

I agree that everyone can't fix everything, but to say not to change anything ever is unbalanced. By definition, would doing nothing be considered a facade as well?

Doing nothing is no good either, but pretending is still pretending. Just because it feels good doesn't make it right or real. Though his suggestion of smiling more was something I should of also addressed because I agree with that.

What I mean is, don't pretend to be good, try to live by it. And if you stumble in your endeavor, so what, try again tomorrow. We don't need tv shows and lies to make us know what is right, and we don't need the numbness and pretentiousness of being phoney. Do good things to make others feel good, not yourself.

This tv show strokes phony egos the same way the thumbs-up button on social media does. Someone can be a dick all day then come home and give approval to all the feel good stories they read. They don't do that to the betterment of those involved, they do it for themselves.

I don't agree.

Sure...the set up is well....a set-up, but the reaction from the observers is (IMO) legitimate. I think it challenges the people that did nothing (or those watching who would normally be the one to do nothing) to DO something next time. I believe it encourages morality by pointing out how horrible it is to stand by and watch something wrong without stopping it.

Have you seen other episodes of this show? It's been around for awhile, and has revealed some appalling behaviors. BUT...it highlights those who step up and DO THE RIGHT THING.

If we ALL did this...behaved like reasonable, involved adults who care about the people around us, we would all be better off.

It is a very good message.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join