It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Unconditional Love Really Exist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Ummm...I gave you both a star and a flag...not because I felt you had any desire or need for them...rather, because of the wonderment your question stirred within. It was a means of saying...thank you.

It amazes me that the reconsideration of a familiar topic can beget such an internal dialogue...To consider again, or observe a further nuance, or reflection that I had not previously entertained. This...to me,would be why such questions SHOULD be asked, and the sheer number of responses also reflects that others were intrigued by your proposal as well.

In so much, as I believe that love can be unconditional, I also firmly believe that it must also be fleeting...or studiously renewed. I think that such non-condition remains at the behest of good-nature and that good-nature is more akin to a practice than a natural state. It takes one hell of a lot of energy to "turn the other cheek", to sublimate fight or flight and maintain compassion in the face of mortal danger. The example of the STORY of Christ is not a tragedy, but, rather, a primer...a lesson on love without condition...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It doesn't exist. What loves exists; what is loved exists.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Realtruth

BO XIAN

I believe that there's a very strong qualitative difference between UNCONDITIONALLY LOVING individuals vs a hobby, passion, an art, a thing.

One can worship a tree or a sports car or a job or a doorknob or a horse's rear.

It's not the same thing.

You appear to be attaching conditions to what the definition of "Unconditional Love" is.

I believe that "Unconditional Love" is just what it is.

Loving something without conditions.

Peace,

RT

edit on 14-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

Ummm...I believe that you have stepped beyond the original intent of your premise...One could certainly argue that Jeffery Dahmer loved to consume human remains, or pedophiles love to practice their sub-societal predations. Would you also consider these examples un-conditional for those that display these behaviors?.......I think perhaps that you confuse love with lust in your examples...I contend that these are apple and orange comparisons....Perhaps we need to more narrowly define this love of which you speak...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

reject

Yes, there are some parents who have that kind of love for their offspring...

Don't get me wrong its a beautiful thing when parents love their children that much.

But unless they love themselves and everyone else that way too its conditional love. The condition is that of being their children.

Unconditional love and forgiveness do exist but as an altered state of consciousness. The knowledge of how it feels to experience unconditional love is state-specific knowledge.

edit on 14-12-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I don't know that I'm quibbling with the definition.

I'm quibbling that loving things vs loving individuals is very equal experientially.

I don't believe they are as equal as you seem to think they are.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

YouSir

Ummm...I believe that you have stepped beyond the original intent of your premise...One could certainly argue that Jeffery Dahmer loved to consume human remains, or pedophiles love to practice their sub-societal predations. Would you also consider these examples un-conditional for those that display these behaviors?.......I think perhaps that you confuse love with lust in your examples...I contend that these are apple and orange comparisons....Perhaps we need to more narrowly define this love of which you speak...

YouSir

Well that is the question isn't it. What love is.

I think many people define love differently.

And your point is a good one. One person's love, could be another's horror.

I have to say that one of the reasons that this world is extremely hard to navigate is the fact that "Labels", such as "Love" mean so many different things.

I have personal friends that are doctors that spend most of their time helping people in poor countries. And they truly love what they do, and they do it unconditionally. The compassion, love, and caring that emanate from their being is unparalleled, imo.

Does this make them unconditionally love what they do?

To you or me this type of giving, lifestyle, or sacrifice maybe pure misery , or horror, but to them it's who they are and how they can express what is within them.
edit on 14-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

BO XIAN

I don't know that I'm quibbling with the definition.

I'm quibbling that loving things vs loving individuals is very equal experientially.

I don't believe they are as equal as you seem to think they are.

Loving a tool, or a thing helps some people express the love within themselves.

A writer loves paper, pens, and these days computers because they help express the love that is bottled up within themselves.

A painter loves their canvas, brush, paints because they can share with the world their true artist abilities that come from deep within.

What I am trying to get at is there seem to be many paths to unconditional love.

Our bodies are physical shells, that contain a spiritual being.

IMO it's a thing and love that comes from within is being expressed through it.

I hope this makes sense.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

JokerThe1st
unconditional love is a state of 'Being' where one lives in unity through love for all creation.

Moments in our world are most certainly possible, but a permanent condition/consciousness of Love may well be for a refined vibration.

Sounds more like the oneness where all is in symbiotic harmony than my definition of unconditional love.

Trying to be in symbiotic harmony with the people you meet and avoid people who destroy the peace is easy but confining. If you want to be less confined I would say: try to be symbiotic harmony with the people you meet and a karma mirror on those who destroy the peace to not have any confinements.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

The experience of unity, as an altered state of consciousness, provides the transpersonal perspective necessary for unconditional love.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My opinion is that to give your life so that another being could live, that would qualify for unconditional love. In a sane state of mind of course, with full knowledge of the consequences. I do think I love my wife unconditionally, but this is the only way that I know of where it could be truly put to the test, and it's scary to even think about it, but that's life.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Gumerk
My opinion is that to give your life so that another being could live, that would qualify for unconditional love. In a sane state of mind of course, with full knowledge of the consequences. I do think I love my wife unconditionally, but this is the only way that I know of where it could be truly put to the test, and it's scary to even think about it, but that's life.

Gumerk,

You bring up another great point.

Does our minds get in the way for unconditional love?

I am not going to even touch that one, but I will let the rest of you pick it apart.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

BlueMule

The experience of unity, as an altered state of consciousness, provides the transpersonal perspective necessary for unconditional love.

Ok lets assume that all things are one single whole and that all parts are evolving at their own speed towards unity understanding. Does that mean that you should always hold your temper and not be angry or hate people when they do things that hurt that unity?

Jesus lost his temper according to the bible. It is easy to love every humans potential and what they will be but loving them when they treat others and you like crap is harder, especially when they fall to selfish needs that hurt others without remorse.
edit on 15-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Yeah, what others have said about love being by definition unconditional, love is the nature of our reality imho. Our minds may illusion ourselves, but sometimes we may, by and by, realize the all in all that love is.
edit on 15-12-2013 by tetraether because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

If we're all one then you 'can not go against nature, cause that's part of nature, too.'. I love that Jesus story, cause it shows his human side. He demonstrated pure love as well as human frustration. I love how he focused on the nature of money to illusion us.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Personally, I'm surprised at the amount of scepticism in the posts here. Actually the question itself is absurd to ask if you are alive and in your senses. Yet, meanwhile you all continue to exist more or less comfortably and totally unconditionally without any complaint or judgement from exisistence itself. You are accepted in your totality as you couldn't be distinguished from it in the first place. All that seems to claim otherwise is illusion, maya, whatever you would like to call it. Isn't that proof enough?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Does unconditional love really exist...? Yes it does, but not for everybody. Are you willing to die for someone? That would be the ultimate answer.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
With a bit of editorial emphasis and alteration . . .

YouSir

. . .
In so much, as I believe that love can be unconditional, I also firmly believe that it must also be fleeting...or studiously renewed. I think that such non-condition remains at the behest of good-nature and that good-nature is more akin to a practice than a natural state. It takes one hell of a lot of energy to "turn the other cheek", to sublimate fight or flight and maintain compassion in the face of mortal danger. The example of the [TRUTH] of Christ is not a tragedy, but, rather, a primer...a lesson on love without condition...

Yes . . . "taking up one's cross daily and FOLLOWING HIM in His Way of Selfless Love IS a daily, moment by moment choice and "walking out."

We choose to make net progress by His Spirit's help and leading or . . . fall into net regression . . . there's no real standing absolutely still on the continuum.

And, we can have in our relationship with Him the ultimate university and field placement practicum of

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. He modeled it . . .

and the Dance with Him requires it for the maximum . . . thrill of The Dance.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Truly believes that love is limitless..having children opened up that perspective with me, I remember worrying before I had the last baby that I wouldn't have enough love to go around to all 4 plus my husband with any left over for my self..but have since came to the conclusion that life and love just don't work that way..i love each of my children unconditionally and none less than another..including the husband with at least a bit left to put into myself when needed! Love knows no bounds..
many times in the past with ex partners I thought I was in love with them, until meeting the man I am with today, loving him made me realize how real it is this time and all the others were purely emotional attachments..

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I know what love is. It was the first moment I landed my eyes on my little baby girl. She is my life and I would do anything for her no matter what. Daddy loves you Sydney. Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I believe it's the foundation of this and all existence.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join