It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy Fog Enshrouds London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Wasn't sure where to put this as there is no "weather" forum so this seemed the most appropriate place I guess.

This is pretty cool. What a great pic of the area and WOW what a heavy fog. Anyone in the area have any local (ATS member) pics of this from the ground? I can't imagine what it would be like if Atlanta was covered with a fog like that...would probably be mass chaos here...

London Fog

An impenetrable fog rolled into London Wednesday morning, which caused some travel woes, and also produced rare views of the city's skyline from above, with only the tallest buildings poking above the mist.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Cool thread. I love fog. Its kinda creepy. I went deer hunting once here in Oklahoma and had a fog bank move in on me. Everything got silent. No birds. No squirrels. Nothing. Pure silence. My imagination started acting up and i could swear there were people in the fog. Crazy.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
A foggy day in London towne
Had me low, had me down.
I viewed the morning with alarm.
The British Museum had lost its charm.

Honestly the first thing to come to mind.
And I am an American. I learned the song in elementary school.
Well Gershwin was American.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

catfishjoe
Cool thread. I love fog. Its kinda creepy. I went deer hunting once here in Oklahoma and had a fog bank move in on me. Everything got silent. No birds. No squirrels. Nothing. Pure silence. My imagination started acting up and i could swear there were people in the fog. Crazy.

Yeah...love fog too. I have had a similar experience when I lived in MS near the MS river...fog rolled in and complete silence. Wonder why everything goes silent in fog, or if the fog just dampens sound enough to not hear anything. Will have to check into that a bit.

It is always creepy when you can't see 10 feet in front of you and it goes completely silent.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I lived on a canal when I lived on long island. One morning I was sitting by the water and I swear the fog came in looking like a giant hand made of mist. It got very thick very quickly. Creepy.Yes.
Another time I was out on our boat and it came in fast. That was scary because my boat was a little 16 foot bow rider and there were much bigger boats out on the bay. I had a canned fog horn I let blast every few minutes and had the lights on but I was still scared I was going to get run over.
For total silence fog over a snowy ground is like a cacoon .

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Yeah the silence...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
I lived on a canal when I lived on long island. One morning I was sitting by the water and I swear the fog came in looking like a giant hand made of mist. It got very thick very quickly. Creepy.Yes.
Another time I was out on our boat and it came in fast. That was scary because my boat was a little 16 foot bow rider and there were much bigger boats out on the bay. I had a canned fog horn I let blast every few minutes and had the lights on but I was still scared I was going to get run over.
For total silence fog over a snowy ground is like a cacoon .

Nice...yeah...snow silence is amazing as well. Lived in Montana for a couple years and loved camping there because of the silence I could get in the woods...

And have done my fair share of boating and would not want to be in a situation with a lot of boats and heavy fog rolling in....

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

One of my fondest memories was getting up very early on a snowy morning and going into the woods. Mine were the only footprints. The silence was magical. The only sound was the occasional fluft as some heavy snow fell to the forest floor. That was in 1969 And the memory is still strong and clear. I can even feel the cold as I write this.
Nice to meet you.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I tried to get my little boat as close to the barrier islands as possible as the water was shallow and the bigger boats could not go there. I made sure I was well away from the channel.
Now I live on the Chesapeake bay with even bigger boats and battle cruisers and aircraft carriers along with container ships going to Norfolk or up the bay to Maryland.
The Chesapeake is a lot bigger than long islands great south bay which I could walk across except for the channel they dug out. There it was only pleasure boats But they were yachts and mine was a dingy in comparison.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I live in London and can tell you from the ground the fog was not as thick as it looks in that picture from above, visibility was about 100 metres at ground level the only real traffic chaos it caused was air traffic with many flights cancelled and smaller airports remaining closed.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by coldlikecustard

How often is it like that? I don't see news that much on fog in London and figured it was fairly normal but for them to report on it here I am guessing this was unusual?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It happens in England very often London however seems to be less affected by fog than rural countryside areas do.

It happens in London maybe 10 days a year although it is usually gone by mid morning this was not the case however on the day in question it lingered for the whole day which was the only thing i found strange about it.

I think the spectacular picture was the main reason for someone bothering to report it in the first place but that is just my humble opinion.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Fog you say ? It's snowing in Egypt right now , Al gore should pay a visit he might find his manbearpig

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

The same freezing fog that hit Portland this week is in Utah now and headed my way... Not use to seeing ice storms so far north... not that they don't happen here, just saying it's pretty rare when they do

goes to show ya weather all over is being strange this year... Here in CO we had one of the worse fire seasons ever this passed spring, then by Oct it was like someone slipped a switch...flooding and up at Loveland pass they already got 110 inches right now...God knows what's next..."Sharknado" maybe?
edit on 13-12-2013 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Love fog.

It didnt seem to be that bad when I went out into it. I wanted it to be thicker, love fog.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
At least since the clean air act of the 1970s or when ever it was we got rid of the infamous smogs (smoke and fog mixed together).This is what we used to call "pea-soupers" where they could get so thick you could barely see your hand in front of your face.........

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
fog in london? no way!!!!!! what's next rain in seattle??

new topics

top topics

join