It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Naval Vessel Tries to Force U.S. Warship to Stop in International Waters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Chinese Naval Vessel Tries to Force U.S. Warship to Stop in International Waters

BY: Bill Gertz
December 13, 2013 5:00 am

A Chinese naval vessel tried to force a U.S. guided missile warship to stop in international waters recently, causing a tense military standoff in the latest case of Chinese maritime harassment, according to defense officials.

The guided missile cruiser USS Cowpens, which recently took part in disaster relief operations in the Philippines, was confronted by Chinese warships in the South China Sea near Beijing’s new aircraft carrier Liaoning, according to officials familiar with the incident.

“On December 5th, while lawfully operating in international waters in the South China Sea, USS Cowpens and a PLA Navy vessel had an encounter that required maneuvering to avoid a collision,” a Navy official said.

“This incident underscores the need to ensure the highest standards of professional seamanship, including communications between vessels, to mitigate the risk of an unintended incident or mishap.”

A State Department official said the U.S. government issued protests to China in both Washington and Beijing in both diplomatic and military channels.

The Cowpens was conducting surveillance of the Liaoning at the time. The carrier had recently sailed from the port of Qingdao on the northern Chinese coast into the South China Sea.

Click link for remainder of article.

So it begins.. These types of actions were last seen during the height of the cold war when the Soviet Union and the US engaged in that type of behavior.

Someone is going to get an itchy trigger finger and we are going to be in a war.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Multi-polar worlds are much more dangerous.
Sooner or later the two biggest kids on the block will fight. But instead of some small regionally isolated conflict this one could engulf and wreak havoc over a much, much larger stage and in the process drawing in allies on both sides.

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The Cowpens was conducting surveillance of the Liaoning at the time

Provocative much.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Won't be long 'til their cheap, made in china fleet sinks.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

ken10

Provocative much.

Such are the games played. Just wait until the Moon hassles begin.

link   

ken10

Provocative much.

Really?

Not very aware that Navies all over the world are always doing surveillance on each other. Didn't the Chinese brag about surfacing a sub near an American Carrier group fairly recently?

+2 more 
link   

ken10

Provocative much.

Not at all being they are in international waters...

Chinese surveillance ship arrived in the U.S. near Hawaiian waters

Provocative much?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

ken10

Provocative much.

Hardly provocative.
I watched Soviet vessels performing surveillance on our ships while we were on maneuvers. They were close enough that I could see their sailors on the deck and we didn't attempt anything forceful with them.... because we were in International waters.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Suspected drugtrafficking?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

ken10

Provocative much.

as an American, that was my thought too....there really needs to be some diplomacy here...military men on both sides are in a penis-waving contest, and cooler heads need to prevail.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I seem to remember a thread where international airspace according to some was not applicable to military planes, I'm sure this was in respect to Iranian planes getting too close to a US drone or something.

Hypocrisy much

edit on 13-12-2013 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Dumbass
Suspected drugtrafficking?

Probably not. The Chinese are pretty much against their sailors being on drugs. I wouldn't assume their reckless behavior was drug induced and I highly doubt they'd be trafficking any with their new Carrier.

I know this ATS but let' keep it in the realm of possibility people.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Or to rephrase it:

Off the coast of China, a Chinese ship encountered a spy ship from a country on the other side of the planet that was currently engaged in spying on China.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wonder how many people will fall for this fear mongering. The important ones to fall are in Congress.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Approx 330 million will.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
So how do you provide "relieve efforts" with a guided missile ship ?

The US is full of it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
So where was the sub while above was going on?

Is this the ex Russian carrier? If so the US/UK already have a sound profile, but maybe it needs to be checked in case of underwater modifications.

Very interesting programme on BBC TV last night and repeated a couple of times later this month, re submarine surveillance on all 3 sides.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Includes breaking confirmation news of a collision between 2 subs! Millions of acres of water and you have to find the only occupied parking space. Hehe.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

So if China does it it is harassment, if the usa does it it is for their protection and all other sorts of bullsh reasons. Crap.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Bah, I think this is manufactured nonsense to keep us worrying about US/China relations.
We need China to finance our debt.
China needs the US to buy their cheap products.
It's all a stage show.

Meanwhile the war on terror is expanding in the Muslim world, drone attacks in Yemen and Pakistan while Somalia, Kenya and entire sub-Sahara are turning in to the new battle zones.

(post by Mindmonopoly removed for a manners violation)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join