It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two men arrested for anti-Semitic tweets after Spurs v West Ham match

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
If I trawled US MSM I'm pretty much certain I could post similar cases in the US - this is not unique to the UK, not by a long shot.

There's many an uninformed bigot / racist who takes every opportunity possible to spout their bollocks on the internet, anyone who does so on a social media site nowadays must be incredibly stupid or incredibly naïve, possibly both.

Many do-gooders and the PC Brigade simply don't understand banter and craic - neither do most non-UK residents - but some of the things that have been posted are just downright hateful and there's a line that shouldn't be crossed. But who decides just where that line is?

I don't go to football anymore, (yes, it's football - the clue is in the word!). There are various reasons for that, it's become a pale shadow of what it used to be.
Fans Against Modern Football.

As I implied earlier, we in the UK are no more or no less free than people anywhere else in the world, including the USA. If anyone thinks other I'll be kind and assume they fall into the very naïve bracket.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Swills

I hear what you're saying because I'm American and enjoy free speech,

Rar rar American crap. O LOOK IM A AMERICAN BLAH BLAH BLAH IM SPECIAL

You think only a American can be upset by this? No most us in the UK are getting fed up too.

UK and USA are in the same boat. Our freedom of speach is slowly being attacked, your other freedoms are being attacked too. We dont yet have warrentless searches , airport rape squads,ect Swings and roundabouts. Rather than bash and laugh at other countrys we should be teaming up.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

The only cases that may be similar you'll find (I can only of think of 1) are people being brought to a mental health facility for posting anti govt things on their Facebook page. So feel free to "trawl" out MSN but I don't think you'll come up with anything.
edit on 13-12-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

U mad bro?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Swills
U mad bro?

Hell yeah I am!

And so should you be at your goverment too!

USA and UK people are both in the same boat, both our freedoms are under attack. Like you guys all this crap came in 2001, before hand you never had all this PC BS.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

semperfortis
If you want to spout hate speech, and curse, you can do it anywhere else you want to

You wont do it here

That kind of disgusting drivel has no place in a decent society or this board

You have been warned

Exactly, and that's the way the UK feels about hate speech and hate crimes too.
And I'm glad they prosecute in these cases and long may we continue to do so.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

blupblup

Exactly, and that's the way the UK feels about hate speech and hate crimes too.
And I'm glad they prosecute in these cases and long may we continue to do so.

Warning maybe or maybe a small fine for extreme cases.

But prison?

Thats the problem people are being jailed for "bad words". Surely prison is for violent crminals only?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Rah rah rah special American posting here.

I'm no fan of my govt & the criminals running it but I have the constitution to protect me, for now, until these criminals get their way and null & void it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

crazyewok

Warning maybe or maybe a small fine for extreme cases.

But prison?

Thats the problem people are being jailed for "bad words". Surely prison is for violent crminals only?

Really? See I thought prison was for people who broke the law?

99% of crime is non-violent, prisons would be empty if only violent criminals were inside.
(while there is a debate to be had about drugs, drink driving and all manner of things, this isn't the thread)
I'm not saying jail anybody who cracks a risque joke or who is engaging in banter or whatever.
some of my favourite comedy is literally the most offensive.

I saw Jerry Sadowitz perform in the last couple of years.... Sooooo offensive, joked about everything from race, rape, paedophilia and anything else you can or cant imagine.

But that's comedy.

Anyone who attacks people based on gender, sexuality, race, religion or similar deserves whatever the law deems fit.
If people want to verbally abuse and threaten and incite based on their own prejudices, then they should be able to accept the consequences of their actions.
edit on 13/12/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Swills

Rah rah rah special American posting here.
but I have the constitution to protect me
Not really, your goverment is attacking it already and has been since 2001.

Anyway what the diffrence between a constitution or bill and charter or law book? All are just words written on a piece of paper are they not? Whether a right is in a constitution or law dosnt matter its about the people will to keep and stand up for those rights.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

blupblup

Really? See I thought prison was for people who broke the law?

So are fines, restraining orders, court orders and community service.

Its finding the right punnishment for the right crime.

And its a KNOW fact that putting non violent criminals in with violent criminals turns those non violent criminals into violent or other serouis level criminals. Prisons act as college for crime! Ok theifs and fraudsters should be locked up. But is it worth looking up someone for saying a few bad words and risk turning them into career criminals?

blupblup
99% of crime is non-violent, prisons would be empty if only violent criminals were inside.

That would be a good thing, full prisons dont mean less crime......look at the USA!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but this isn't the thread.
make a thread about the current system and law and prisons and we'll discuss it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
overkill.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Good to see you blup.

The thing is mate, it's one thing for opposing fans to call Spurs fans Yids, they actively embrace the term themselves. It's another to make offensive jokes about Jews burning in Belsen etc / Munich air disaster / Hillsborough / Bradford etc.

What next?
Not allowed to call Scousers bin dippers?
Any welsh clubs supporters sheep shaggers?
Man Utd fans are almost universally known as Scum, offensive?
Hartlepool - monkey hanging chimp chokers?
www.footballforums.net...

As in most things it's about context.

Had to laugh at the fuss made over the gay chants made at Brighton games - every single gay person I know, not that there's many but there are a few, found them hilarious.

Wonder when they are going to start kicking up a stink about the 'offensive' name of the Washington Redskins and the Atlanta Braves?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Surely people like Frankey boyle should be serving life by now?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Freeborn

Good to see you blup.

The thing is mate, it's one thing for opposing fans to call Spurs fans Yids, they actively embrace the term themselves. It's another to make offensive jokes about Jews burning in Belsen etc / Munich air disaster / Hillsborough / Bradford etc.

Hey dude, how's it going?

Exactly, I have a couple of Spurs mates and they're always singing "Yid Army" and "We are the Yids" and so on watching games... but yes, making crushing faces or aeroplanes with your arms as Liverpool and Man U fans do, is another matter and a sick one.

What next?
Not allowed to call Scousers bin dippers?
Any welsh clubs supporters sheep shaggers?
Man Utd fans are almost universally known as Scum, offensive?
Hartlepool - monkey hanging chimp chokers?
www.footballforums.net...

As in most things it's about context.

Exactly, as with anything offensive, it's context and intent.

Had to laugh at the fuss made over the gay chants made at Brighton games - every single gay person I know, not that there's many but there are a few, found them hilarious.

Wonder when they are going to start kicking up a stink about the 'offensive' name of the Washington Redskins and the Atlanta Braves?

Well I don't know, I'm sure for the fans who got banned for using it and for any fans targeted it probably wasn't, but I dunno...whatever.
And yes, totally agree... I think there have been issues regarding the clearly racist and deeply offensive names in the US... but will it ever change, we'll see.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Why not this thread? I think this thread be a perfect place to discuss this!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

"Moral of the story, if you don't have anything nice to say in the UK while on the internet then just shut the BLEEP up! "

Moral is you live in a surveillance society where the police will arrest you if you say something against the law.

Who cares what someone says on Twitter anyway. Its not exactly a public place. You have to join to twit to twit.

You can only say nice things on the internet in the UK!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

Well the UK is the world model for Big Brother but the USA is catching up rather quickly.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I was on a Casuals Forum a month or two back and some Brighton fans were posting in it.
They said they don't mind the usual terrace chants, its part and parcel of British football and can be quite a good laugh. They said the 'we can see you holding hands' chant was harmless but pretty boring and predictable now, they complained that fans weren't thinking up new songs.
They were however offended by a Millwall fan who rather aggressively asked a Brighton fan who was with his 6 year old son if he 'was going to share his son around with all his mates after the match'.
That'd seriously piss me off.

Unfortunately comments like the last one are reasonably common on football sites as well.

There is a massive grey area and overlap between biting humour, insensitivity, offensiveness and hate driven behaviour.

I dislike the move towards an over sensitive, PC governed society but at the same time I accept and agree that there should be no place for the racially, bigoted or simply hate filled bile that gets passed off as humour or banter at times.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join