It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dementia is the next global pandemic, says Aids prevention pioneer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

It was really fairly recent that we started living past 50.

Nope. Lots of people used to live to 100 - like my Grandma, great-grandma etc - but high rates in infant deaths brought the averages way down. There is NO doubt that we're creating new pathogens and spreading them way more efficiently than ever before. Dementia is one outcome.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

soficrow

Nope. Lots of people used to live to 100 - like my Grandma, great-grandma etc - but high rates in infant deaths brought the averages way down. There is NO doubt that we're creating new pathogens and spreading them way more efficiently than ever before. Dementia is one outcome.

ACTUALLY, the average life span in 1900 was 49 years old. Germ theory wasn't even born till the late 1800's. Antibiotics not till 1940. Society didn't even fully accept vaccines until the end of WWII. Granted there were Dr.'s experimenting back in the late 1700s with small pox, slicing a persons skin and putting puss from an infected persons blister under their skin.

There were people like your Grandparents who lived that long. Shoot, my Grandpa is almost 100 and he was there, exposed and all, at the test site in New Mexico when they tested our nukes. They are a rarity not the norm.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
That being said however, I in no way am saying that the toxins we pollute our world with are not without severe consequences.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I come from a long lived family members, sadly I can see the deterioration of the new generations when it comes to diseases and quality of life.

In the past people lived ripe old ages more often than not with mental clarity, one of the reasons people didn't live past 50s in men was more to safety, while women childbearing was one of the causes of early death.

Things have changed, that is for sure, we live longer lives but our quality of life have declined, meaning you live longer but will be facing an array of health related problems that will have you taking medications for the rest of your life, side effects takes away from the joy of living.

Statistic say that people over 60 have 9 or more prescribed medications, you can imagine the side effects of all those medications on the quality of life of the elderly.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

ACTUALLY, the average life span in 1900 was 49 years old.

As you say, the AVERAGE life span was 49. So in a population of 10 people, 3 die at birth, 3 die at 30 and 4 live to 100 - making the average life span 49 years - but 40% of the population lived to 100.

...Point being, you need a significant percentage living long lives to bring the average lifespan up to 49 when so many infants die at birth or in their first year.

...Forgetting that Industrial Revolution started about 1775 and started killing people off big time.
edit on 13/12/13 by soficrow because: to add "point being"

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
That is part of the point I am making.

Between combating infant mortality, decreasing the amount of women who do not live through child birth, the children who died within the first 15 years of life from all the things we now have vaccines for, and all the people who would have died from infection - we now have 60% more people living to a ripe old age. That is quite a jump just in the last 100 years. Therefore we have 60% more people passing away from other things like dementia, cancer, and heart disease.

I'm just saying its not a surprise epidemic. It's simple math. If 100 people were only able to die from 3 different things and you took away two, then why would there be surprise when they all died from that last thing?

Its life. Our hair will go grey, our skin will thin, our bones will brittle, and our minds will wind down.

Unless the scientists want to say that death itself is an epidemic.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

As you say they think dementia is unknown.

Taking preventative measures to not create health problems is always helpful including healthy diet, exercise,positive thinking & feeling in social interactions .

Dementia is forgetting, its not a "complex disease" one can forget how to move, how to interact with others , how to eat, how to be continent in fact everything you remember can be forgotten.
I think dementia is simple.
How it effects different personalities by WHAT they forget makes it seem more complex.
Admit first that society is sick and go from there, what do you expect in a world that is sick & stupid and has forgotten what it is to be human.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I agree with you, scientists like using the fear mongering words "pandemic" and "epidemic" for funding.

edit on 13-12-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Dementia is not just simply forgetting. It is nerve damage which can be caused by a lot of things - drugs and alcohol use, B12 deficiencies, head injuries at any point in life can cause fluid to build in areas that eventually kill the nerves there. It can be caused by the vessels in the brain becoming hard, infections, or even issues with other organs.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

mrsdudara
Dementia is not just simply forgetting. It is nerve damage which can be caused by a lot of things - drugs and alcohol use, B12 deficiencies, head injuries at any point in life can cause fluid to build in areas that eventually kill the nerves there. It can be caused by the vessels in the brain becoming hard, infections, or even issues with other organs.
It is forgetting.
It can be caused by many different insults to the brain( drugs, living un healthily, brain injury or just aging) .
The neural pathways are broken its simple really.
Why don't you like it simplified to forgetting .

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

Dementia isn't this a surprise ! All coming along since the smoking ban, if you cant get your nicotinamide the result seems to be dementia. I'm only being mildly cynical here. When old time doctors used to prescribe smoking for it, I'm wondering what's going on.?.The processed food is way down on essential nutrients, and big Parma wouldn't be that worried about the Nations health as long as the money is coming in. In the west One in three get cancer, which was statistically insignificant in the likes of China a generation ago. When just about the whole population smoked like chimneys.Oh I forgot its Global warming.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

we now have 60% more people living to a ripe old age

NO, not at all. What we have is far more people living past childhood - but many more dying by 50 instead of 90 or 100. It's statistics - a numbers game. Now, in a population of 10 - 5 live to 50, 2 live to 65, 2 live to 80 and 1 lives to 100 - the average lifespan is 74 years - but 50% of the population doesn't make it past 50.

In fact, people in their 50's are dropping like flies these days - and authorities say today's children are the first generation that will die before their parents.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

You are right, children dangers of childhood death was related to childhood diseases, once that was under control now most children are fighting diseases that used to be only relegated to the older adults, like diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol, this big three in children 40 years ago were rare or never heard off.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Actually, infant and mother deaths skyrocketed when male doctors took childbirth away from mid-wives - they laughed at Pasteur when he said disease was caused by germs - and didn't think it mattered when they went from dissecting diseased corpses in the morgue to deliver babies. They were way too cool to even wash their hands. Unlike midwives, who were big into hygiene.

You're right though - urbanization and the industrial revolution both created and spread a lot of diseases. I think if we want to compare, we should look back before the industrial revolution - and outside cities.

edit on 13/12/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

snarky412
reply to post by signalfire

It's time to have a real conversation about voluntary suicide when things get bad enough, take the 'sin' aspect out of it (thanks, church) and realize that sometimes, life isn't worth living anymore.

People don't hesitate to put their animals down when they start to suffer.
Yet, we keep our loved ones hanging on despite their miserable pain

Not belittling humanity but I have unfortunately seen loved ones suffer that we knew without a doubt was only going to get worse....and they did. So we ALL suffered thru the hell.
And when they died, we were relieved not only for ourselves but for our loved one who was going through the physical torture of pain.

Dying is the easy part
Losing a loved one is the hard part, hence why we tend to keep the sick hanging on despite their pain & misery -- and of course it's unethical to be able to release them from their hell
Although Dr. Kevorkian's way was frowned upon, I can see where he was helping families

Death is the answer some times when there is nothing left to do for them.

Quoting for truth.

There is something folks tend to forget, we're supposed to die and we have a responsibility to die.

Unfortunately far too many are necrophobes, but you needed be afraid of death. Don't be afraid of anything, fear profits man nothing (love that line from the 13th Warrior).

We need to embrace the fact that death isn't a bad thing, but a natural and just end to life.

Derek

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Oh please don't drop in the idea of euthanising/murdering people with dementia.
I guess you don't know its happening in some places to people with dementia as a cost cutting method .
Every single individual has the right to life, why tell people generally who should or shouldn't have the right to life. If you think about it there is much suffering and pain in the world but we don't propose murder as a solution for suffering or pain.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

BDBinc
I guess you don't know its happening in some places to people with dementia as a cost cutting method .
Every single individual has the right to life, why tell people generally who should or shouldn't have the right to life. If you think about it there is much suffering and pain in the world but we don't propose murder as a solution for suffering or pain.

And the flip side of the coin to your argument is who has the right to tell a person, if they so choose when/if the time comes, that they can't die?
Then you are taking that person's right away from them and placing it in the hands of hospitals and drug companies that only care about one thing.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

Have you seen a loved one close to you suffer like hell in pain and agony?
And knowing that they will only get worse until their time comes

I have.........and it's horrible to know that you can't do a damn thing about it.
What's even worse, is when they tell you that they've had enough and they just want to go on, that is when they're lucid enough to talk.

When they say they want to 'go on', they don't mean to the store.
They are eagerly awaiting death to come and take them away from their endless pain.

What's cruel is keeping people with insufferable terminal illness alive to ease our conscience, because we don't want to let go or think it's "morally unethical", now that's cruel.
It's not murder when they are in the process of dying any way.
And it's not murder if that's what they - the patient - wants to do, to end their suffering.

Sorry, touchy subject for me.
As you can see, my opinion differs from most being as I speak from my heart due to past experience
More open minded I guess

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Viesczy

I have every intention of hitting the bush or the ice when I'm ready to die. But I do NOT want to see our world's people poisoned into early burnout and dementia, and then euthanized at 60 because they're "useless eaters." I will keeping banging loud and hard til I eat that gun. No whimper. Just one BIG LOUD BANG after another.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

snarky412

BDBinc

And the flip side of the coin to your argument is who has the right to tell a person, if they so choose when/if the time comes, that they can't die?
Then you are taking that person's right away from them and placing it in the hands of hospitals and drug companies that only care about one thing.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

Have you seen a loved one close to you suffer like hell in pain and agony?
And knowing that they will only get worse until their time comes

I have.........and it's horrible to know that you can't do a damn thing about it.

Do you think you can talk about what is best for others?
I am saying it is not my right or your right to tell an individual what he/she can do.

Your body is in the process of dying so if someone killed you would it not be murder?
People that suffer depression or illness should they be killed too ?
What gives me the right to determine or take away a strangers right to live based on my desire not to see their suffering and pain.
You cannot have blanket social policy that says people with dementia don't have the right to live and should be euthanised.
The NHS starve disabled babies (slowly) to death, the hospital where I live do the same with elderly that can't feed themselves they don't feed them, this growing euthanasia trend in the world is disturbing . Many people when depressed say they don't want to go on then later they are happy, children depressed say clearly that they don't want to live. Many people in the world suffer and are in pain.

Of course I have seen a loved one suffering and dying.
I have been a loved one suffering and dying. When it is a love one (there is no separation and) their pain and suffering is yours and it is felt as greater.

As we are talking about dementia in some cases there is peace, others have confusion, aggression and agitation this does not mean they want you to kill them.

If you say you are touchy and think others haven't experience of dementia I think it would be a stretch to say you are open minded based on that ( and also considering your fear of suffering).

edit on 13-12-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Dec 13 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Quote Crash Course

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

BDBinc

mrsdudara
It is forgetting.
It can be caused by many different insults to the brain( drugs, living un healthily, brain injury or just aging) .
The neural pathways are broken its simple really.
Why don't you like it simplified to forgetting .

Dementia is not simply forgetting that would be Alzheimer’s. Dementia alters their perception of reality. My mother has it yet it doesn’t show on MRI or in blood work. Alzheimer’s can be detected by both. Some people have both Alzheimer’s and dementia and some forms of dementia does involve forgetting however dementia is not simply losing the ability to remember.

Sometimes my mother thinks I am her deceased brother recently she thinks she has another son (she doesn’t). She often asks if my father has called yet he passed away. She doesn’t grasp the concept of death anymore or she thinks people can recover from it. Many other things such as that but her memory is pretty good. Some days better than others.

Anyway I just wanted to clarify to you that you are describing Alzheimer’s not dementia.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join