It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Blaine solved... a theory

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I was recently watching some David Blaine videos, and a thought came to me concerning how he does some of the amazing things. It'll be a stretch for many of you, but I think I may be right about this.

David Blaine is performing many of the feats with his dreaming body.

Many of you may not know much about the dreaming body, so here's a brief summary. According to the works of Carlos Castaneda (and my own personal experience), all humans have what Castaneda terms a "double". This is another body, separate from our waking body. This is the body we use when we dream. It is a physical body, as verified by anyone with experience in lucid dreaming. It is possible, through much hard work and practice, to bring this dreaming body into the real world.

The rules are different for the dreaming body. It's not a real body in terms of having organs, or blood. You can't eat, you have a hard time doing things like reading, or playing guitar. But, you have amazing psychic powers, and reality is much more flexible, like in the dream world. It is said that Aleistar Crowley would go to sleep at night, wake up in his dreaming body, and work all night. The Castaneda books are filled with stories about the double and the dreaming body, and the miraculous feats Don Genaro would perform while in the dreaming body. My own experience with the works of Castaneda confirm for myself the truth in the books.

So, if you were to take the leap of faith that the dreaming body could be brought into the real world, wouldn't it explain some of the amazing things that David Blaine has done? In the latest show, David Blaine: Real or Magic, he puts an icepick through his hand and has it x-rayed to verify the reality of the trick. No blood. He also puts the thing right through his bicep, again, with no blood.

I know some of his stuff is just plain old illusion and sleight of hand, but so much of it is almost supernatural, it seems. Well, it is not supernatural because it happened, hence there is an explanation. This is mine.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TwoTonTommy

Interesting perspective. If, and this is a huge if, you are truly onto something credible with the dreaming body theory... IMHO, it'd make all the sense in the world! SnF, very thought provoking.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Magic is all about deception. You have been deceived.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

All I know is that man scares the # out of me. Lol him and Dynamo

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

chemistry, special alloys and plastics, small mechanisms, mentalism, sleight of hand, planning, team coordination, and showmanship...mental discipline....ect.

Still VERY praise worthy for the talent, imagination and commitment alone, but not "magic".

edit on 12 12 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I don't think it's anything else than the guy being an extremely talented illusionist.

The only other possibility.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

TwoTonTommy
I know some of his stuff is just plain old illusion and sleight of hand

All of his stuff is just plain illusion and sleigh of hand.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That's funny. I just watched that show the other day. I think that David Blaine does have significant body control; however, I generally am unimpressed with television magicians due to the "magic of television". There's always the possibility of staging as well. Not all of his illusions, however, are illusions or tricks. Kind of like how Ricky Gervais observed after Blaine stuck the pick through his bicep. That's not an illusion. Blaine himself stated earlier in regards to how it took him 10 years to get it so that he could pierce his hand without blood.

It's possible to slip a metal object through a part of the human body without drawing blood. It's called a piercing. The doctor in that documentary did not look at Blaine's hand before the X-ray so we have no idea whether or not there was a pre-existing hole. What we do know is that some of the viewers remark on a hole existing after the fact. That's not magic. Like Gervais put it, that's being a bit of a maniac.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I used to be a fan of Carlos Castaneda (still am as an author)
but the guy himself was such a snake oil salesman by the end.

Look up the women he all convinced he was some type of entity, I believe some killed themselves when he died. I ended up looking at him like a clean cut, well spoken Charles Manson character.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Is this a cheap promotion for David Blaine BLAH BLAH?

Suppose the guy has DVD's and Boo-Rays to sell? And I am not in tune with this whole Dream Body that you speak of nor do I see anything but side-show magic...

Offer me some proof (other than testimony) of said Dream body and I might change my mind, but I doubt it!

Seriously, since you are new here I am highly suspicious, Dream Body or not...I will keep my eye on you!
edit on 12-12-2013 by abeverage because: I don't likes David Blaine...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

abeverage
Is this a cheap promotion for David Blaine BLAH BLAH?

Suppose the guy has DVD's and Boo-Rays to sell? And I am not in tune with this whole Dream Body that you speak of nor do I see anything but side-show magic...

Offer me some proof (other than testimony) of said Dream body and I might change my mind, but I doubt it!

Seriously, since you are new here I am highly suspicious, Dream Body or not...I will keep my eye on you!
edit on 12-12-2013 by abeverage because: I don't likes David Blaine...

I understand all the skepticism, and the whole David Blaine thing is nothing but an educated guess on my part. As far as things to sell... nope. Nothing to sell here. I'm a diesel truck mechanic by day and a musician by night.

To prove the dreaming body... that you have to prove to yourself, I guess. It takes a lot of work to get to the point of lucid dreaming, for most people. As a story, it sounds kinda lame. But to actually have a lucid dream is one of the most amazing, eye opening experiences someone can have. If you really want to know, you have to do the work. It sounds like a cop-out, but its the truth. I did the work when I was a young college drop-out with lots of free time. I have experienced for myself what the dreaming body is. I don't expect to convince anyone, just pointing out the path.

As far as being a newbie, yeah I know. I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to drop my fear of the Internet Monitors. I have a very nice life with kids to support, and I didn't want to risk getting a knock at the door for my political views; but I see now that hiding does no good. If the world goes to hell in a handbasket and something happens to me, at least my kids will know that I'm a brave man who stood up for what's right. As far as me being a troll or a shill, well, I'm not. It should become clear over time, because I've got a lot to talk about.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Taggart

I used to be a fan of Carlos Castaneda (still am as an author)
but the guy himself was such a snake oil salesman by the end.

Look up the women he all convinced he was some type of entity, I believe some killed themselves when he died. I ended up looking at him like a clean cut, well spoken Charles Manson character.

I mostly agree with you about Castaneda (except I don't think he was a murder like Manson). He never really seemed to get it. It's so frustrating reading the books, you yourself know what Don Juan is talking about, yet Carlos just doesn't seem to connect the dots.

Nevertheless, the teachings of Don Juan are mostly true, according to my own personal experience. Immediately verifiable exercises are given in The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda by Victor Sanchez. It's a practical book of exercises, and it transformed my life, and the lives of others that have actually gotten off the sofa and done some of the work. It's difficult stuff for most people, though. Total deconstruction of the self.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Thank You! I was just going to post piercing as it would be so easy & easy
to hide. One thing I really want to do is give tremendous credit to him as
being "the Man on the Street Magician". he performs up close right in your
bloody face & he's most EXCELLENT as well as Chris Angel. I love them both
& they are extremely talented & well schooled in what they do.

Hours of perfectionism...

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Nothing is supernatural about magic: none of it. Magic is making something seemingly impossible happen. When in reality...there is always an explanation. A REAL one.
PS Ive seen books explaining nearly anything Ive ever seen Blaine do. They are out there for you to look at how things are done.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Had never even thought of it. Amazing concept to think about. Gonna have to re-read some of the Don Juan books.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

TwoTonTommy
To prove the dreaming body... that you have to prove to yourself, I guess...I have experienced for myself what the dreaming body is. I don't expect to convince anyone, just pointing out the path.

Your concept is interesting and you certainly seem like a very nice person. About the above, however: You should then also be able to prove it to someone else it seems.

Care to experiment?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

The GUT

TwoTonTommy
To prove the dreaming body... that you have to prove to yourself, I guess...I have experienced for myself what the dreaming body is. I don't expect to convince anyone, just pointing out the path.

Your concept is interesting and you certainly seem like a very nice person. About the above, however: You should then also be able to prove it to someone else it seems.

Care to experiment?

It's not something I had great control over when I could do it once in a while. I was into that stuff 15-20 years ago and only had the occasional lucid dream back then. But I can tell you how to do it, you can try yourself.

The basic technique is to look for your hands while your dreaming. You have to plant the idea often when you are awake. Keep asking yourself if you are dreaming. Eventually, the day comes when you do notice your hands in your dreams, and that cues you to the fact that you're dreaming. That's the first step. From there you have to learn to move around without waking up, etc. The ultimate goal (according to the stories) is to find your own sleeping body in the dream - that unlocks something in you that allows you to bring it to the real world.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtez

Its thinking that magic is more that a delusion that prevents us from evolving into something more.

There is power in magic but the power is in you own mind, the control it has over your own reality not the reality of others.

Learning how to master one's own mindset and create one's own delusions (and how to resist those that are external), one will not only be happier it will expand the understanding one has about oneself. Magic always ends where knowledge begins but imperfect knowledge it as bad as magic and so one needs to learn to be fluid...

edit on 12-12-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
parad0x122

paradOx122
Interesting perspective. If, and this is a huge if, you are truly onto something credible with the dreaming body theory... IMHO, it'd make all the sense in the world! SnF, very thought provoking.

If so how does he extrapolate this 'dreaming body' back into the physical world/dimension; causing ON TIME A perceived illusion or trickery. Dynamo can take randomly (from street strollers) cell phones and insert them into the long necked beer bottles they themselves are carrying/drinking from (emptied of contents before hand). Then have a friend call the phone it rings inside of the 'corona bottle'; no breach in the glass. The hand movement is this; 2 taps to the bottem of the bottle holding the cell phone. ITs in the bottle. One has to break the bottle to regain the phone. Someone somewhere has the knowledge to change/soften silicon based matter in order to insert objects without damage. Is it an illusion or a gift of being able to manipulate/melt by heat/thought applied with PURE INTENT TO DEFORM a silicon based shape. Its scary to watch. Blaine and Dynamo frighten me. Chris Angel is a total illusionist Fraud (David Copperfields foster son).
edit on 12-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

denybedoomed
Had never even thought of it. Amazing concept to think about. Gonna have to re-read some of the Don Juan books.

Tales of Power is pretty awesome. It's got the most crazy stunts. Jumping off cliffs, teleportation, defying gravity, etc. A good read.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join