It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACT High Court rules against newly legalised same-sex marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.news.com.au...

So, to be clear, the High Court did its job to the letter. They were impartial, and only interpretted the law.
However, the state legislation had allowed same sex marriages for almost a week. So there are couples who were married, then today their marriages were declared invalid. It's a pretty unfair deal on those who went through the proper channels.

This is one of those things I just would like an opinion on, from ATSers. You guys are my giant, super-opinionated, sometimes crazy family. I'd like to know what you all think about the situation that the ACT government, and the Australian government has put upon these couples, and same sex couples in general?

There are heaps more sources, i'll post more if anyone requires

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by windslayer

I think it's pretty damn obvious. This was a government-sanctioned act of Indian-giving, if you'll pardon the term. If the people want to do something about it, then they'd better do it.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

The ACT government usually acts as though it's more important that Federal, and they usually get away with it. This time they were told to wait for the courts, and they didn't. I think it's sad, because we had around 27 couples get married, but at the same time, it feels just... negligent. I think you're right. It is very much an Indian-giving.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The government is jerking around the people, and it will have to be the people who end the game.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think I used to feel pretty strongly about gay marriage as marriage, which was entirely based on principle and against it. Civil Unions, yes. Marriage? Nope.

Then.. an odd thing happened...I got challenged pretty hard in my Anthropology course with the simple question. Which came first? Marriage or the Church.

Hunting down that answer, to my own satisfaction, removed the principle it (really) had ever been about.

Now? I'd say nations need to move past this, stop playing games about something that actually goes back a few thousand years to be real here and focus on that important stuff people actually die of. Like War, pollution we eat/drink/breathe.......and stop being so concerned about who wants the right to make misery a lifelong commitment by Marriage.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Bahahahaha. "misery a lifelong commitment". Wonderful.

I didn't know that marriage pre-dated the Church. Thanks for that Wrabbit, that's some marvellous info!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Common sense says that since spirituality predated the church, so did marriage. The church is, in fact, relatively young. But like any spoiled and boisterous teenager, it doesn't like being reminded of that fact nor acting accordingly.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yeah, it actually makes a whole lot of sense that marriage came first. It's just not something I've really ever considered before.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Aus will have legal gay marriage what, probably within three years, for sure within five. Just a rough estimate but these things are falling into place worldwide. I'd even go with a high chance of it happening quickly.

edit on 13-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

top topics

join