It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D printing pen lets surgeons draw cells on damaged bones, speeding recovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
link

This is very cool. I wonder if it can be used to sew skin together instead of using a stitch.

While it's not technically a 3d print.
It's sort off the same idea.
Very neat.

Might be a nice addition to a survival kit.

A “bio pen” that allows surgeons to draw layers of healing cells on damaged bones and cartilage is closer to entering clinical trials after its creators handed it over to scientists at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia, for further refinement.

Developed at the University of Wollongong in Australia, the pen extrudes cells mixed with a biologically friendly material like seaweed extracts. The mixture is encased in a gel, which can then be painted on in layers. Each layer is cured with an ultraviolet light.

The cells are painted onto damaged bone and cartilage sites during surgery. The cells multiply and grow into nerves, muscles or bone, healing the damaged section.

The technology could be used to treat severe damage from, say, a car accident or to repair a defect. Surgeons already have ways to encourage new growth, but the pen allows them to precisely place cells on the fly.

The pen is an extension of a recent project by the same Wollongong researchers, in which they grew knee cartilage from 3D printed stem cells.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This, with the skin cell spray for burned people, are awesome medical innovations! If it can make it to the public market it will be great.
And if they could now reattach tendons to bones... Maybe this pen will allow it?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
cheers ...

sounds like a step closer to star treks dermal regenerator ...
i look forward to the teleportation .. but thats another thread for another forum ...

on a side note .. if i could just add, " . "

new topics

join