It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur mummy's fleshy head crest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Dinosaur mummy's fleshy head crest

A mummified dinosaur provides the first evidence the scaly animals had fleshy head ornaments, scientists say.

The preserved remains of the duck-billed dinosaur Edmontosauraus regalis were discovered in Alberta, Canada.Analysis revealed the previously unknown feature which experts compared to a rooster's comb. They suggest the ornaments were used to attract mates in the same way modern birds use bright appendages.

"This is the first evidence of an entirely soft-tissue crest for any dinosaur," said lead author Dr Phil Bell from the University of New England, Australia.

"Bony crests are well known but skin rarely fossilises and even when it does, it is almost never found on the skull."

Well, not exactly an Earth shattering find but still interesting.

Mummified remains, I read that and instantly thought of some sort of Sci-Fi effort to clone. I seriously doubt this will be possible with these mummified remains however I'm still holding out hope that someday in the future ( in my lifetime) we'll be able to visit a real Dino park. If not a Dino park them maybe at least an Ice Age MegaFauna one?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well, in the article it says it was probably used to seduce mates. This is a dinosaur boob. lol

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Dinoboobs, now there is a new strange mental image that will stick with me for the rest of the day.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

He he. If you bend your neck to the left, you will see nature kept the same design for us. Thanks

I have to add tho I learned that some dinosaurs remains are considered "mummified" because of the way they petrify and keep some elements of the original animal intact. Interesting.
edit on 12-12-2013 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I think there are a lot of mummified flesh remains that they dig through to get to the bones. The paleontologists are looking for bones, not flesh. Sure the flesh has integrated into the rock, over all that time there will be a blending. The faint outline of the original flesh should be there though. It may be distorted by the mummification though. I have seen this outline in pictures of outlines before. Some Paleontologists are also starting to see this outline, that is how they now know that some dinosaurs may have had feathers or hair. But they don't want to tell people yet that they were messing up all along in the past looking only for the bones. I don't know why they just don't admit that mistakes were made in the past and go foreward instead of covering it up. Sure, it is not flesh anymore, just an outline.

Some dinosaurs did live after the big event, ones that lived in caves....the forerunners of humans.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Interesting also. Do you know if there are also organ remains that would be "mummified" and identifiable?

I seem to recall an article where a nest with petrified dinosaur eggs, still intact, had been found, and a scan could reveal the organs and such...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Organs deteriorate rapidly, skin has a lot of elastins and collagens in it so they would last longer. I dug through an old hide tent on my property, at least that is what it appeared to be. It was many years old. It was buried down about nine inches or so. It seemed hollow underneath. I thought it was an old deer hide, but came upon a joint that looked to have holes in it. like it was attached together. When I tapped on it it had a hollow sound. It was about a half an inch thick and it was pretty big. I think it was only about a quarter inch originally. It could have been part of a birch bark structure also. I'm not completely sure. It broke apart to a powdery black when I started to go through it, there was a signal on the metal detector I wanted to investigate. It turned out to be a very heavy little rock and there was a piece of very old antler under there too. The antler had pretty much turned to a permineralized rock with a green tinge to it. It is a lot heavier than antler now, it could have been already a fossil when the last owner of it found it too.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

rickymouse

I think there are a lot of mummified flesh remains that they dig through to get to the bones. The paleontologists are looking for bones, not flesh.

As a palaeontologist I can assure you that that is an incorrect assertion. We look for any type of fossil material and also investigate the surrounding lithologies.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

rickymouse

Some dinosaurs did live after the big event, ones that lived in caves....the forerunners of humans.

um....no!
Just plain straight out no.

That is so many degrees of wrong and ignorance.

i mourn for humanity when we have opinions such as these.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Ok you got me. I thought a dyno mummy had been found in Egypt.
Jackass article.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Very cool!! S&F

Who's gonna be the first to clone a dinosaur...

edit on 12-12-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It makes one wonder how many other dino's had fleshy acoutroments.I wonder if T-Rex had one?
edit on 12/12/2013 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Akragon

Very cool!! S&F

Who's gonna be the first to clone a dinosaur...

edit on 12-12-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

Hey - didn't I see this "rock" or one very much like it in some of the hi-res Mars rover pics?

Seriously, after looking at this and others like it found right here on good old terra firma, it really makes you think we should really spend some time looking very closely at the pics from Mars as well as some of the lunar pics...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Wow!
Look at the scales on the cast, what that big boy must have looked like alive...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
He mentions "The Female" needs to attract a mate.

But in our World, it is the Male that has the bright colours and accessories to attract females.

Birds in particular, but generally thru all species and genus.

Birds are dinosaurs right?

It would be the Male dinosaurs with the best colourful bits, best voice or song, etc etc.

Unless they were all spiders.

top topics

join