It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court in India criminalizes homosexuality

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

While you may engage in sex for 'fun', if you get sick, or make others sick; it is not the government's job to treat you or similar. I must make that very clear to you.

Outlawing sexual expression, and government sponsored medicine are two different things. Does your government treat drug addicts, lung cancer in smokers, diabetes in sugar addicts? Does your government outlaw skiing because it may have to treat someone with a broken neck?

Your ideas about science, religion, procreation, and governance are all confused due to your mental state.

Personal, ad hominem attacks are exactly what I would expect from someone whose identity is rooted in religious dogma and deviod of empathy. Shame, alienation and righteous indignation are the tools of willfully ignorant tyrants.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I follow no religion to be affected by religious dogma.

All your points are wrong and have been discussed already.

But anyway let me try again.

1. The sex is 'good' angle

The posters in this topic have already covered the harmful effects of anal sex; and the oral sex can cause oral cancer is well known.

As far as normal sex between a man and woman is concerned, if both are healthy and practice hygiene, and are responsible adults who understand that any resulting pregnancy can increase their responsibility and burden, then it is absolutely fine.

No government (including Indian government) can deal with runaway expenses. It is very important to define limits of behaviour.

2. Religious angle

I have posted views of not one, but four different religions. So is it about my religious dogma?

Religions support the concept of family and right of children to live in a fear-free and wholesome environment. What is wrong with that?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

The posters in this topic have already covered the harmful effects of anal sex; and the oral sex can cause oral cancer is well known.

As far as normal sex between a man and woman is concerned, if both are healthy and practice hygiene,

So is India regulating how married couples expresses their sexuality too. Are oral and anal sex illegal for married couples too, or is it only illegal for gays?

Is the government going to also regulated hygiene? It's my understanding that prostitution is essentially legal in India. Do Indian prostitutes only employ the "missionary position?"

and are responsible adults who understand that any resulting pregnancy can increase their responsibility and burden, then it is absolutely fine.

What does that mean? Is contraception also illegal in India? Or, are you interjecting your personal morality here?

Religions support the concept of family and right of children to live in a fear-free and wholesome environment. What is wrong with that?

Where is the fear in tolerance of homosexuality? What's to be afraid of?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

1. "prostitution is essentially legal in india??" - how is this statement related to gay marriage?

Prostitution is allowed in India in a limited way and is under several restrictions. The continuation of prostitution is a failure of society to provide for destitute women. Read my post carefully and you would understand.

2. Behavior of married couples - a husband forcing a wife to have oral or anal sex is a valid ground for divorce.

No law can prevent consenting adults to do what they please. But why should the entire society pay for mistakes of a few.

3. Healthy couples - would you like to marry a leper or a AIDS patient? Probably no.

Hygiene cannot be legislated, but promoted.

4. While a union of man and woman can have an unhealthy dimension (possibility), a union of man and man, or woman and woman has certainty of unhealthy dimension. So a gay marriage is totally undesirable and unworthy of government protection.

edit on 23-12-2013 by GargIndia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

1. "prostitution is essentially legal in india??" - how is this statement related to gay marriage?

How did we get from discussing illegal sexual behavior, ie homosexual sex which you have identified as oral and anal sex, to gay marriage?

Prostitution is allowed in India in a limited way and is under several restrictions. The continuation of prostitution is a failure of society to provide for destitute women. Read my post carefully and you would understand.

Prostitutes perform sexual acts that some wives refuse to do, like oral and anal sex. Or, are you saying that India's prostitutes don't do those things?

2. Behavior of married couples - a husband forcing a wife to have oral or anal sex is a valid ground for divorce.

A husband forcing any kind of sex on his wife is considered rape, here in the USA, and is grounds for arrest.

Also, many hetero couples willing engage in oral sex, and enjoy it. The same with anal sex. So, basically, you are promoting a distinction, saying that only same sex couples should be barred from this kind of sexual expression.

No law can prevent consenting adults to do what they please. But why should the entire society pay for mistakes of a few.

What mistakes? Abortion is legal in India.

3. Healthy couples - would you like to marry a leper or a AIDS patient? Probably no.

That's up to the individuals involved. Many AIDS/HIV people marry. Are you thinking that homosexual sex causes leprosy?

4. While a union of man and woman can have an unhealthy dimension (possibility), a union of man and man, or woman and woman has certainty of unhealthy dimension. So a gay marriage is totally undesirable and unworthy of government protection.

Again, we're not talking about gay marriage, here, we are talking about the Supreme Court reversing a lower court ruling and reinstating an archaic law from British Colonial rule, that outlaws "homosexual sex".

We're talking about protecting an entire sector of a population from imprisonment and alienation. In India, the LGBT community is suddenly in danger of persecution, where just a few weeks ago, they were living openly, in freedom.

What I think happened, is that the Supreme Court ruled that the old law was constitutional, of course, because the law was created by the same people who created the constitution. What will happen now, as the Supreme Court noted, is that it is now up to the Indian Parliament to decide whether or not to keep the law on the books.

Personally, I think compromise is coming, sooner rather than later.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

1. You introduced 'prostitution' in this discussion. Do not understand why?

A prostitute sells her body for money. What she does is wholly wrong - any kind of sex. The existence of prostitution is a great failure of society.

I told you that no woman should be in a position to go for this lowly profession of prostitution. The State should provide for destitute women and children.

2. People in India have become misguided by influence of certain ideas imported from other countries. This is a transition period. I am sure India will go back to more traditional views in course of time.

We do not condone unnatural practices wherever that happen. Laws or no laws. My job is to set thing straight and educate people.

3. Abortion is legal in India but I oppose abortion.

The reason is conception happens soon after copulation. A fetus is very much alive, and abortion is practically killing a child.

Better way is to avoid pregnancy by natural or artificial means.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
As far as law is concerned, a law from British times does not mean it is wrong or need to be changed.

I doubt that homosexuality will become legal in India.

There is very strong opposition to existence of homosexuality in India. You forget that every person has brothers, sisters, parents, relatives. The taboo factor itself is very strong.

As far as my views are concerned, I have said very clearly that homosexual marriage should not be allowed.

If two individuals engage in homosexual practices willingly, they should get counselling rather than jail.

<< 5  6  7   >>

join