It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Cooling system fails on International Space Station, NASA says: astronauts safe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

A troublesome Flow Control Valve within the Thermal Control System of the International Space Station has caused a loss of one of two thermal control system loops on Wednesday. Mission Control Teams are investigating the issue and are reconfiguring equipment aboard the Space Station in order to maintain a stable thermal situation on board.

NBC Connecticut ‏@NBCConnecticut 19m
#BREAKING: @Nasa responding to urgent but NOT emergency situation aboard ISS after 1 of 2 cooling loops failed. Crew is reported to be safe.

Urgent, not emerg situation on space station may require space walk fix. Cooling system had failed. @NASA evaluating. 6 on board.

Crew on USS is safe. Conserving power. @nasa hoping software fix can repair cooling flow valve. If not, space walk possible

Urgen Situation on ISS
Spaceflight101

Still developing...
Let's hope everything is fine.
edit on 11-12-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Obvious fix, open a window

edit on 11-12-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Oh man...they already do a minimal job cleaning themselves...this is going to add another ten points to the funk-ometer...open a window indeed..

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood
reply to post by chrismarco

Ok mates, I'm all for humour, but this is a serious situation, imagine what proportions of the implosion might be lol
Couldn't resist

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Thorneblood

Obvious fix, open a window

^^^^^^^^^ Were you aiming for irony?

What was it? 200,000 people have applied to live on Mars? Life is already short.

I marvel at people who put themselves at overwhelming risk in a craft built by the lowest bidder. Let's hope they get this fixed quickly.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
So I'm to understand then that this is really a cooling loop for the solar panels, and not actually anything to do with life support?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

until spaceships like startrek exist with artificial sustainable safe liveable environments why would you want to risk your life in the tin can space ships of todays technology.
edit on 11-12-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Good question.
I guess it's a life support cooling system, though they're not saying what it is.

ISS Thermal Control System Background

The purpose of the Thermal Control System of ISS is to keep all internal and external equipment and payloads at temperatures within their specific thermal requirements. Crew members, experiments, electrical equipment and other systems generate heat inside the modules of ISS that has to be rejected.

Read more at the nature of failure HERE

edit on 11-12-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

NASA spokesman Joshua Byerly said:

Earlier today, the pump module on one of the space station’s two external cooling loops automatically shut down when it reached pre-set temperature limits. These loops circulate ammonia outside the station to keep both internal and external equipment cool. The flight control teams worked to get the cooling loop back up and running, and they suspect a flow control valve actually inside the pump itself might not be functioning correctly. At no time was the crew or the station itself in any danger, but the ground teams did work to move certain electrical systems over to the second loop. Some non-critical systems have been powered down inside the Harmony node, the Kibo laboratory and the Columbus laboratory while the teams work to figure out what caused the valve to not function correctly and how to fix it. The crew is safe and preparing to begin a normal sleep shift while experts on the ground collect more data and consider what troubleshooting activities may be necessary.

SOURCE

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

until spaceships like startrek exist with artificial sustainable safe liveable environments why would you want to risk your life in the tin can space ships of todays technology.
edit on 11-12-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Especialy when we have the tecnology to launch 8 million tons into orbit which the world has sat on since the mid 60's. It not even a secret, look up the Orion project. Our space ships and space stations are a joke!
edit on 11-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

And this is why I wasn't one of the 200,000 people who volunteered to be part of the first group to settle down on Mars.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Awww, where is the spirit mate?
I would easily let them to shoot me in outer space no matter what outcome would be.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

ISS Updates ‏@ISS101
The internal cooling loops of the affected modules are showing elevated temperatures as a result of the Loop A issue. #ISS101

It seems things are heating up on board (pardon the pun)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Gravity Movie!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Hmm...are they still running lynux?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Just imagine how bad the B.O. might get if it gets horribly hot on the ISS...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Aimed? I hit the mark with that one!

Off hand, am I the only one here who would go to the ISS with the understanding that should anything go wrong I am pulling it out for a quick yank before I die? Maybe even make some space babies?
edit on 11-12-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

PhoenixOD

Hmm...are they still running lynux?

I have no idea mate.
On a second thought maybe it's HAL 9000.

"Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave Bowman: Fix the valve, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Another update before I'm off to bed... whoa I didn't realize it's 3.30am

Anyways, Spacewalks Possible

Night...

top topics

join