It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Okay That Our Food is Tortured Before Butchering?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

caitlinfae
Also arguing that it's ok to keep chickens in terrible conditions simply because they have never known anything else is also invalid...

Why?

...they have instincts, they know how they should behave naturally...

No, they don't.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

intrepid

caitlinfae
Also arguing that it's ok to keep chickens in terrible conditions simply because they have never known anything else is also invalid...

Why?

...they have instincts, they know how they should behave naturally...

No, they don't.

Are you serious? Is this really what you think...that animals have no instincts and wouldn't know what to do if we didn't keep them in cages for our own convenience? Besides the fact that your emotional sensibilities are clearly very different from mine, I'm finding your lack of compassion....and ignorance, to be honest...quite shocking. I'm going to take a break from this discussion for a while, which I hope you will respect. I will be back, when I've thought about how to approach this with you. I've never encountered this level of insensitivity before....you're definitely the first.
I mean that in a purely clinical sense, incase you're wondering if I'm getting all over emotional about it...I'm not.

I don't want this thread to disintegrate to a petty argument...the subject matter is too important. I also think we're touching on a much much bigger issue here, one of awareness, emotional sensitivity, perhaps intelligence is involved too, which might lead to a different discussion.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

May I suggest that when you come back that you deal with the issue and not me? While I like being the topic of discussion that's really not the focus of this thread.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

But I respectfully disagree yet again...this isn't about you at all. Your views seem to be representative of the problem being debated, so I'm sorry if you took it to be a personal thing...it's really not, but if you're making your beliefs clear in a thread about such an emotive subject, then perhaps you should expect to be challenged on a personal level. After all, I'm really interested in how you think, and people who hold the same views as you think, as that seems to be the root of the issue. Perhaps this is basically a more general perception anomaly, so I'm sorry if made it too individual. More later.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Its actually really interesting, but many species have a *fascinating* way of passing on memories genetically. I presume that humans do as well, but due to a more complex brain structure it gets discarded at some point in growing up.

I am of the mind that stress in animals, especially prolonged, builds up chemicals in their bodies that we consume when we eat them. I dont feel I need to involve the "woo" of spiritual energies, or anything like that, to demonstrate how stress, despair, anger, etc (or whatever their non-human analogue may be) can directly affect the quality of the meat we consume. I would even go so far as to say that consuming such food has adverse effects on our health!

The issue is that when this type of issue is presented, it tends to be from a militant "X," or someone acting with extreme zealotry. That doesnt really work for anything.

But, get past the extremist ideology, and there is a point to be had there. I think that diversifying our food supply would not only reduce these effects, but would provide a significantly more stable food production industry.

I am also of the mind that plants and their nutritional quality can also be subject to the same things, though perhaps to a "lesser" extent. Even considering that though, the moral high ground of certain dietary choices is stripped away. So, most dont go there.

The reality is, for a being to live, other systems must die.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

No Phil here just a southern boy who knows how to live right, although I have hunted with the Robertson's long before Duck Dynasty. Crazy and fun group of people. Meet Phil when he was quite the ladies man.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I love meat, and I won't give up eating it. I also have no problems consuming it, we're meant to eat meat and it's part of the food chain.

That said, I have cut back on just how much meat I will eat due largely in part to the way the animals are treated and I don't view any animals as just something mindless to raise, kill, and consume in poor living conditions.
edit on 12-12-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

signalfire
I wonder what this says about us as a culture; "9 billion broiler chickens, 113 million pigs, 33 million cows and 250 million turkeys consumed each year in the U.S", the vast majority of them treated inhumanely while alive, then dispatched by someone hired by us, the 'consumer' to do this on a daily basis. To kill for us, all day long, every day of their working lives.

And what does it say about those who will simply state, 'but I lurve me a good steak!'; usually these are the same people suffering from heart disease caused in no small part by the difficulty involved in assimilating animal lard and suet into the human body and burning the extra calories off again.

The Stomach Churning Reason Why Our Meat Is So Cheap

have you read 'omnivors delima'?

in my opinion the greatest look into our food chain ever written.

the things we could do are...ahh good sigh

while what we do is ....

anyways good luch with your wrestle match

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I agree that stress levels/adrenaline spikes can change the quality and taste of the meat. Deer season here is horrible. The "hunters" sit by the side of the road and let their dogs run the deer to them. It ticks me off every time I see a guy sitting in a lawn chair with a rifle an a can of beer. Makes me want to swerve off the road just a bit! My husband is a hunter, btw, but he goes to them.

We also "process" our own chicken. Calmly, quietly, and quick. Store bought chicken pales in comparison. And my 10 year old son can cut up a bird faster than I can. And we eat a LOT of eggs. We have happy hens.

Unfortunately, not everyone can buy land and homestead like we have. The meat processing industry will only change if it effects their bottom line, so if you are going to eat meat that isn't "tortured" it is up to you to find a humane source. Go to your local Farmers Market and ask around. Call a local meat market and find out where they get their beef.

Just my $2.00 worth (inflation)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

signalfire
I wonder what this says about us as a culture; "9 billion broiler chickens, 113 million pigs, 33 million cows and 250 million turkeys consumed each year in the U.S", the vast majority of them treated inhumanely while alive, then dispatched by someone hired by us, the 'consumer' to do this on a daily basis. To kill for us, all day long, every day of their working lives.

And what does it say about those who will simply state, 'but I lurve me a good steak!'; usually these are the same people suffering from heart disease caused in no small part by the difficulty involved in assimilating animal lard and suet into the human body and burning the extra calories off again.

The Stomach Churning Reason Why Our Meat Is So Cheap

Food is more than calories.

The food that you consume creates your psyche.

The food from tortured animals makes humans generally more tolerant of torture including humans.
The sins accumulate and cause misery to lot of humans, and take humans towards war and destruction.

Even humans that ate meat a few centuries back did so in small quantities. Bulk of the diet was vegetarian.

A heavily non-vegetarian diet is a modern phenomenon. It's result cannot be good.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

GargIndia

Food is more than calories.

The food that you consume creates your psyche.

The food from tortured animals makes humans generally more tolerant of torture including humans.
The sins accumulate and cause misery to lot of humans, and take humans towards war and destruction.

Even humans that ate meat a few centuries back did so in small quantities. Bulk of the diet was vegetarian.

A heavily non-vegetarian diet is a modern phenomenon. It's result cannot be good.

Just chiming in a little bit till later...I'm still pondering. I love what you've written here, and have been thinking a lot about the effects an intensely meaty diet will have on us. I agree it's a bad thing developing in terms of our spiritual and physical health. A couple of things I found overnight...coincidence if you like. We should be aware that not all meat raised in western countries is slaughtered in western countries. Intrepid's point about having never seen abuse happen here, and doesn't believe it could happen on the scale some people say, misses the point that a lot of animals are transported to other countries with much MUCH lower (try non-existent) animal welfare standards. If you dare, look online for Beirut Public Slaughterhouse, and you will be shocked to your core with what you see. They process meat from many places in Europe. I'm sure it's not the only place like that.

I'm going to step right into the Land of Woo here for a second, and I'm not apologising.
Billions of animals go through a terrifying end every year at our hands, and all that energy from them must go somewhere...if fear and pain feed something on a spiritual level, what is this process feeding? I'm not talking about physical calories here, I'm talking about what this build up of relentless torture is creating, and why the meat industry has been allowed to develop as it has.

And to Lolliek...this is how meat should be raised, and respect to you for teaching your kids that too. If it has to be done, this should be the process. And I see nothing wrong with eating eggs at all. We get ours from a place where the welfare standards are the best they can be...the hens are happy, safe, healthy, LOVED even. An no, they're not that much more expensive. Battery farming is a whole other deal. Would you put your chickens in cages just for convenience? I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I agree with the OP.

My feelings are though that if there are more advanced species out there in the Universe who are visiting our Planet I believe they follow a code which is "treat those creatures the same way they treat others".

So in a nutshell if we keep farms and slaughter living, breathing creatures with feelings when we don't really need to then we as a species will be farmed and slaughtered in turn. This is a theory from a horror movie but imagine for a second what it will feel like when Humanity finds out we are simply livestock on a Planet sized farm. Being harvested for our skin, meat and other items used in industry on Worlds far far away?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Carreau
I am disgusted by the way fruits and vegetables are ripped from their roots, torn from trees and tortured by slicing and dicing them before being consumed.

It's heartless and I wish people would stop doing it. Aren't we as a society better than this? Come on people stop the mindless violence just for the pleasure of a salad.

This must end now.

Nice one... But vegies belong in a different kingdom...
I mean I dunno maybe Plants feel pain too.

But the one sure thing, is we are animals ourselfs, so eating your own kind is some sort of cannibalism
Animals can feel, think, wonder, dream, cry, and suffer just like humans do....
If you believe humans have a soul, then, so do all the animals.
I see it like having a pet you love, and taking care of, and some day all of the sudden you kill it and eat it!
To me this is cannibalism...either you know the animal or not...

Carnivore animals kill and eat other animals to survive, But humans are not carnivores they are omnivores
And it is totaly different thing having to kill an animal for survival and kill it because you take pleasure eating meat...
Humans can survive and be healthy without meat, Those poor animals are killed by thousands just for our pleasure.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
About Veggies:

1. Cereal plants are harvested AFTER the plant is already dead and dried.

2. Fruits are for human and animal consumption and has been made this way by God.

3. Vegetables have a very short life, and vegetables are typically harvested when plant is mature (means plant is dying or dead).

God has made plants as food for humans and animals. There is no question of worrying about pain in plants.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Veda allows using body parts of dead animals (naturally dead) likes bones and skin.

Veda does not allow killing animals for food.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
this question will let me know a lot about people and food.

what color is an egg yolk?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr1Akula

Eating meat or not is one of the most enduring debate.

This is an issue which is very important from religious point of view - as all religions promote kindness and some form of non-violence.

This is also an issue often discussed with religious teachers.

The Indian vegetarianism has a very long history. All three indian religions - Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism promote vegetarianism. There is very sound reason behind it.

Eating animal flesh invariably leads to violence and disharmony in human society. It is against human goal of spiritual development.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

God has made plants as food for humans and animals. There is no question of worrying about pain in plants.

God also made animals as food for other animals apparently.
Examples:
-Birds eating bees.
-Lions eating gazelles.
-Tigers eating Hindus.

He apparently didn't worry about pain in animals either.... I have plenty.
edit on 13-12-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Here's a pretty interesting near death experience that deals in part with the issue of eating meat. In pertinent part:

4th question:

Can I SEE what it looks like on a planet with a higher evolution...

YES!

HERE YOU ARE....

In an instant, I was there on another planet! I was able to see my body there (I can't see my body in the light). I'm in the presence of people and am able to TALK TO THEM! HOW GREAT, I THOUGHT! They where amazed to see me in front of them. I was in some sort of city with flat ground, there were buildings with no windows nor doors, just like big boxes. They had a special way to enter them but it wasn't very important for me to know it! We where communicating with voice, but through the minds (telepathic), I was able to understand each word (in French to me) and while I was talking, I know I was using another language with them. This was all done automatically.

They where asking me where I come from...They wanted to see in my mind the stars I could see from my planet! The result was good! They where also asking me where on earth I was born, what was the area I liked to see and what I liked to do on earth...I told them I was born in a village called Caplan...I like scuba diving in Port Daniel and New Port, Quebec. They wanted to see in my mind what it looks like and a map of those areas! They asked me to show them... If I wanted to. The result, again, was good as I was capable of mentally showing them the map! They asked me where I was taking the energy to survive; I knew right away they where talking about food in a strange way! I told them about the plants that we eat on earth and then they also said: Are you also eating what used to be alive? I said yes.

They told me: We knew there were primitive civilizations but not as bad as that!

For the curious, read more near-death experiences here.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's interesting that your post begins with such a provocative question. I absolutely believe it is wrong, no matter the circumstance to mistreat ANY animal. I know that we're consumers that will buy the products such as beef, chicken, and other critters, and as long as it keeps showing up in the fridges of our stores, we're going to keep buying it.

It's such a strange idea that there are some really sick people out there that have absolutely no respect for live at all. For anyone to torture the animals before "processing" shows that, to me anyway, these are people that have something very wrong with their minds. It does anger me to see any animal mistreated.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join