It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Okay That Our Food is Tortured Before Butchering?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I wonder what this says about us as a culture; "9 billion broiler chickens, 113 million pigs, 33 million cows and 250 million turkeys consumed each year in the U.S", the vast majority of them treated inhumanely while alive, then dispatched by someone hired by us, the 'consumer' to do this on a daily basis. To kill for us, all day long, every day of their working lives.

And what does it say about those who will simply state, 'but I lurve me a good steak!'; usually these are the same people suffering from heart disease caused in no small part by the difficulty involved in assimilating animal lard and suet into the human body and burning the extra calories off again.

The Stomach Churning Reason Why Our Meat Is So Cheap

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I love my meat. I would NEVER become vegetarian.

Normaly on a vegie thread I would make some sarcastic comment on how i like meat....but not this time.

No I dont like how animals are treated before we kill them.

I think all animals should be treated well and killed humanly. I would be ok paying a few pennys more for food that come from animal killed humanly.
edit on 11-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I buy all my meat from local organic outlets whenever possible. Which is about 90% of the time I figure.

The fact is that meat isn't actually cheap, it's expensive because of the way it's produced. We all just think it's cheap because of the insane markup on everything else. Which is mostly transport related, driven by greedy corporatism.

A single pound of beef requires 1800 Gallons Of Water to produce.

We are WASTING resources by handling of food processing in this way. And don't even get me started on the farm subsidies that provide the cheapest and most ineffective type of nutritional diets for these animals.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Most of my food is tortured by me personally. Either by arrow, bullet, hook, spear or just ripping the fruit off the plant.

Barbaric, I know but we all gotta eat. If we don't eat them, they'll eat us...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hi!
I have to agree with you,animals are treated in a vile manner before being hacked up for consumption-however,you may have a hard time proving that animal fat has anything to do with heart disease.

(p.s.I haven't eaten meat for half a year now,by the way-I just like animals far too much.)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yeah, my meat isn't tortured, so I don't worry about it. I haven't bought meat from a store in 6-7 years. I can go pet my current steer any time I want. The same fellow raises my pigs for me too.
My chickens come from a fellow I work with. They may be tortured. They get chase by goats and alpacas. The eggs taste fine though, so I'm not to worried.

Just know where it comes from.
Sure not going to stop eating it.

link   
I gotta agree with Phil:

link   
I wonder if the cost of that water (to society?) were added to the cost of the lb of beef, if anyone would be able to afford it?

The whole system seems crazy economically and heartless to boot. Especially when people who have pets fail to extrapolate those animals' obvious feelings and emotions with their disregard for their future meals'.

I also often wonder if humans will ever stop their warring behavior, as long as they are meat-eaters. Remember that line in Star Trek about 'we don't raise animals for food anymore...' it was subtle but nevertheless there, the horror of it all.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

signalfire

I also often wonder if humans will ever stop their warring behavior, as long as they are meat-eaters. Remember that line in Star Trek about 'we don't raise animals for food anymore...' it was subtle but nevertheless there, the horror of it all.

O right your a militant veggie. One of THOSE.

Great

I retract my ealier comment and my earlier star and flag.
edit on 11-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

signalfire
Especially when people who have pets fail to extrapolate those animals' obvious feelings and emotions with their disregard for their future meals'.

I have cat, I cherish her.

And if she saw a chicken she would kill and eat it.

A cat can only eat meat, its a predator, like me.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am disgusted by the way fruits and vegetables are ripped from their roots, torn from trees and tortured by slicing and dicing them before being consumed.

It's heartless and I wish people would stop doing it. Aren't we as a society better than this? Come on people stop the mindless violence just for the pleasure of a salad.

This must end now.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Do you own any pets OP???

Just curious, because if you do own a cat or dog, you do realize that to keep them healthy you have to buy them quality food that is made out of.................wait for it....................MEAT!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

seeker1963
[
Just curious, because if you do own a cat or dog, you do realize that to keep them healthy you have to buy them quality food that is made out of.................wait for it....................MEAT!

She would be shocked if she saw how my cat tortured the pray she caught before eating it

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Most natural carnivores won't kill more than they need, and they certainly don't hire others to kill for them.

I'm sorry to disturb your day with my 'militant veganism'. You poor dear. I wonder how you'll cope.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

signalfire

LMAO, you're more than a little dense if you think this equates to vegetarianism or veganism in Star Trek. Did you forget about replicated food? Forget about Chicken A La Sisko? Forget about Miles O'Brien informing his new wife Keiko in TNG that his mother handled & prepped real raw meat & not replicated stuff? There is no shortage of meat based or animal-derived foods in the 24th century, it just has differing origins.
Earth food in Star Trek.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Oh yea, kitties LOVE to play with their food before they eat it.

My point was to show that when people whom don't eat meat, try to shove their beliefs on those of us that do, they fail to realize that if they have pets, they also have a part in the consumption of animals as do those of us whom enjoy eating them!

A bit of mild hypocrisy don't ya think?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

signalfire
'militant veganism'.

Even worse..........

I'l make sure Il kill a extra pheasent tomorrow in your honour

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

seeker1963

Very.

Im all for better treatment for farm animals and against battery farming. And I go out my way when hunting to dispatch my prey as humanly as possible and eat what I kill.

And I would have been all for supporting her cause of reducing inhumane conditions....

But thats not enough for them, they have to try and force there vegan ways on us.

FACT most us meat eaters wont give up meat...EVER....... so pick your battles and focus just on getting better conditions for farm animals, you might succede on that. As soon as yoy start forceing you diet on us you alienate our support.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

seeker1963

Most commercial pet foods are made from the byproduct of the human food industry; that 'real chicken' in your dog or cat food is suffocated male chicks, all ground up, and bone powder, along with a lot of wheat and corn. "Quality' pet food is almost unaffordable, because it would be the same as human food, and few people are going to spend 100s every month on dog food for a large animal.

I see the same mentality in the 'I love meat' posts, as I do in the flag waving, patriotic, I'm fighting for your freedoms' posts. It's a fascinating sociopathy, but somewhat sickening in its lack of insight.

Where does this confluence of profit motive and people being kept at arm's length from the reality of their food supply get us in the end? More disease, and less awareness of the limits of natural resources... and a society inured to violence.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

crazyewok

seeker1963

Very.

Im all for better treatment for farm animals and against battery farming. And I go out my way when hunting to dispatch my prey as humanly as possible and eat what I kill.

And I would have been all for supporting her cause of reducing inhumane conditions....

But thats not enough for them, they have to try and force there vegan ways on us.

FACT most us meat eaters wont give up meat...EVER....... so pick your battles and focus just on getting better conditions for farm animals, you might succede on that. As soon as yoy start forceing you diet on us you alienate our support.

Nobody's FORCING you anything. Methinks thou doth protest too much. Guilty conscience, or what?

And your grammar and spelling skills need work.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join