It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5th Grader Suspended for Imaginary Weapon.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think that they are given a set a criteria to follow and if it doesn't get followed they don't have a job. They would rather look like maniacs than lose a job now a days. I remember when it was normal for boys to play rough and pretend to shoot each other and throw handfuls of rocks pretending to be grenades. I guess the way media is portraying everything now a days kids can't be kids anymore. Everything is so instant gratification too. Has anybody noticed that with their children? I fear for the world my child has to grow up in.....

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

We would throw water balloons as grenades. We threw big snowballs as grenades. Pretty soon they will be outlawing snowball throwing on school properties. The boys will have to start courting girls at six then since they won't be allowed to go outside and play in the snow.

I am against bullying, both psychological and physical but understand that it hardens a kid to be challenged a little. It is and has always been excessive in schools though, I can't argue with that.

I am against kids having weapons in school also, but everything is a weapon. I got stabbed with a pencil when I was young, accidentally. We have to teach our kids to behave themselves, not outlaw everything that can be used as or looks like a weapon. The current trend is insane, who the hell started this insanity anyway and why is everyone going along with it.

I have been shooting guns since I was five and I never even dreamed of shooting anyone no matter how mad I was. That is how I was trained.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

couldn't agree more my friend!

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Man. When I was one year older in school we shot real Bows and Arrows in PE. I guess there's no chance of that happening anymore. I'm only 32, so not THAT long ago. Back when they allowed dodgeball and the like, and not everyone got trophies. That was how I met one of my best friends, hit him in the face with a dodgeball and sent him to the school nurse because of his braces. We played one dodgeball like game called Kamikaze, I'm sure the PC police would have a field day with that now.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JackSparrow17

Zero Tolerance story, back when the whole zero tolerance thing was new, I was in middle school. I got in the only fight I was ever in at school. A kid jumped me on the way to the buses after school over comic books. By the time the teachers got there I had flipped him over and was holding him down, without throwing any blows. In the principals office afterwards, when my Dad got there the Principal told me I would have to be suspended for being in a fight, even though I did NOTHING, so my Dad looks the Principal straight in the eyes and told him, " so, if I came across this desk to kick your ass, you're telling me you'd just sit there and take it, and not protect yourself?" Talk about looking shocked. I ended up with a week of "in school suspension" where I was allowed to do all my work and not miss anything.

Zero Tolerance is a joke, you just have candy A$$ administrators that don't want to be the reason a kid gets suspended, they just want to point at a rule and say, "that's why, I have nothing to do with this decision." I guess they're just too scared of what the parents can bring down on them nowadays, it's sad.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The US disarmament program in full effect? Your guns and imagination are banned?

Over zealous, teachers, schools etc, as usual. Lots of crazy stuff these days banned in schools, or kids being told not to do something.
These events may be rare, but still stupid nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

I guess its now punishable to play "one man army".......sucks for childhood.

edit on 12 12 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

And if he had taken his DS game machine ( all blood & guts games), to school, it would have just been confiscated for the day and nothing more said..

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The thing is that the same rules apply to elementary as they do secondary school. When you folks talking about your shotguns on campus went to school, Columbine and eight hundred copycats hadn't yet happened.

Times change. I know it's hard for old folks to accept. But consider this: the current generation of secondary students have parents who grew up during and in the decade following Vietnam. That means we have militant PTSD crazy dads on one side of the fence, and pacifist hippie idiot dads on the other side. The kids of these two types of people don't mesh very well. Zero tolerance is, in part, an emergency measure enacted to ensure each type of child has a safe place to learn.

Is it the best solution? Hell no. Is there a problem with bringing guns on campus in the modern social environment? Hell yes. Temper your "back in my day... uphill both ways... five cent coke" with some sense, please.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

macman

Not going and not nuts.

They are Progressives. Plain and simple.

It has to do with controlling the masses.

Can you prove zero tolerance policies are because of progressives,? or do you automatically blame them for everything?

I was under the impression zero tolerance policies was apart of the right wing tough on crime mantra.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yeah, basically schools can rule pretty much whatever they like in USA, as I understand it, as long as it's private school, then it's private property, then you can render pink shoes mandatory

Is it a public or a private school ?
If it's private, they have the right to do that
edit on 12/12/2013 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

whyamIhere
It is impossible to raise children with zero tolerance.

Raising Kids is all about being tolerant.

This brings up another point I had never even considered. Raise kids in this ludicrous "zero-tolerence" politically correct atmosphere, and what kind of adults will they be? How will they interact with people when they find that everyone around them offends them in some way? That is downright scary!
edit on 12/12/2013 by AntiNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

It is a real problem in America. Imaginary threats. Now if only we could hold our government responsible for the imaginary threats that they concoct. How about suspending our officials for shutting down the national parks during an imaginary fiscal crisis. I picked a softball BTW. We all know better examples, but draw the parallel lines yourselves.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Yeah, the teacher AND school district aren't liberal AT ALL, LOLOL!

...BTW, if you point out the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS CAUSE of this PROBLEM, you get a spanking on ATS. Heads up!

edit on 13-12-2013 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Kromlech

...BTW, if you point out the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS CAUSE of this PROBLEM, you get a spanking on ATS. Heads up!

This isn't really directed at you in particular, but I never understood how people can point out that the most educated people in the world (college professors, and by extension, other educators) are liberal and then go on to act like liberal is a bad thing. Aren't there whole marketing methods that appeal to one's desire to be LIKE the educated? Wouldn't someone who thinks poorly of liberals try to hide the fact that highly educated people are liberal?

Is it some sort of anti-intelligentsia thing? I guess that would make some sense on ATS, actually, since most anti-intelligentsia movements are rooted in conspiracy theory.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

pondrthis

Kromlech

This isn't really directed at you in particular, but I never understood how people can point out that the most educated people in the world (college professors, and by extension, other educators) are liberal and then go on to act like liberal is a bad thing. Aren't there whole marketing methods that appeal to one's desire to be LIKE the educated? Wouldn't someone who thinks poorly of liberals try to hide the fact that highly educated people are liberal?

Is it some sort of anti-intelligentsia thing? I guess that would make some sense on ATS, actually, since most anti-intelligentsia movements are rooted in conspiracy theory.

Yes, it's TOTALLY "intelligent" to suspend a child because... something IMAGINARY "posed" a threat, LOL. WOW, you have NO problem with SAID IDIOCY running the school district? Yeah, don't get butthurt because it got exposed. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Kromlech
Yes, it's TOTALLY "intelligent" to suspend a child because... something IMAGINARY "posed" a threat, LOL. WOW, you have NO problem with SAID IDIOCY running the school district? Yeah, don't get butthurt because it got exposed. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

I'm not butthurt. And I don't really have a problem with the school enforcing rules, as long as the rules aren't harmful to the students. Pointless and asinine, maybe, but it's not harmful. A two-day suspension in elementary doesn't affect college prospects.

In any case, I wasn't referring to this particular topic or your particular comment. Just a general trend in liberal-bashing which perplexes me. Also, your sarcasm is a tad hostile, eh?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

A two-day suspension in elementary doesn't affect college prospects.

You're certainly right that it doesn't impact college admissions. Not at that low level, anyway. However, it does have an effect. If it didn't, why do it? There would be no reason at all. If the violation is serious or meaningful and punishment serves a purpose? Then the impact even makes sense. If it doesn't? I call it Tyranny-for-Tots and it's a program with real hard impact.

It teaches the child to Obey and Comply, above all else. First with whatever policy, good or bad, they have violated but more importantly in a broad way. When they learn that even MERE THOUGHT and IMAGINATION can have them busted, parked in detention and given a nasty note on their school record? Well...I'll bet they are a bit more careful about their THOUGHTS in the future.

Now that's as totalitarian and brutal as I can imagine anything being for a nation, under ANY system. No child..anywhere in the world..should ever fear their own imagination or thoughts if it's not producing something which directly victimizes someone else (gotta add that last part these days).

So it doesn't matter if it impacts their college...it DOES impact their MIND and their outlook on life and their place in it. THAT is plenty to say B.S. punishment for imaginary offenses should become imaginary actions that never take place in the real world.

Let the teachers imagine what they'd LIKE to do if they COULD abuse the children..and stop ACTUALLY abusing them on a regular basis like this.
edit on 13-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
It teaches the child to Obey and Comply, above all else. Hurts imagination, etc.

A child is learning constantly. School is only a fraction of a child's life. Ergo, you can't completely affect a child's mindset using school alone. If you could, then there would be very little achievement discrepancy between inner city, underprivileged children and children raised by two parents with doctorates.

Teaching children to obey the rules of society is important. Not five inches of screen space away on the home page, there's a thread about a kid who grew up in a rich family that thought he was above the law, and killed something like seven people by driving drunk at 3x the legal limit and was suggested to have date raped a fourteen year old girl. He probably went to a school with more lax guidelines. Which is the worse evil?

Claiming that a child's imagination is being restricted or "deprogrammed" isn't giving enough credit to your children or the human spirit. Children are far more imaginative than adults by nature; the very word "imagination" is just something adults slap onto the process by which a child learns and discovers the world. No slap on the wrist is going to keep children from seeing the world in their unique way; honestly, shooting fake bows isn't part of the learning process for which we support childhood imagination.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

I'm sorry, are we really trying to use complex reasoning to justify suspending a child for ...imagining..a weapon?

Johnny responded by taking his pencil and mimicking a bow and arrow at his friend, and that's when a girl in his class noticed the play and reported it to their teacher, Whitehead said.

Following a stern lecture by the boys' teacher, the principal suspended the two for breaking the school district's zero-tolerance policy against weapons, Whitehead said. As part of the suspension, their school records noted they had violated the district's weapons policy, he said. Only Johnny's family has decided to move forward with the possibility of legal action.
(OP Link)

That is a thought crime since no physical weapon ever existed, no threat could ever have been posed, nor was any threat ever intended as the article places it in context of horse play which another girl ran to the teacher over.

I'd say the girls reaction is far more telling and sad to read about than the idea that a couple boys (gasp) may actually be horseplaying and one mimics a weapon. Mimics.. Play.. It's another part of development and learning which is being stomped out by various means.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join