It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA JPL Releases First Video Ever Of The Moon Orbiting Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

MALBOSIA
Wow! That was so LAME!

No disrespect to the OP, I'm not knocking the thread. My point is, WTH are these people doing with Americas money? Did someone pay for that crap?

What exactly is lame? Did you expect huge hi-res detailed pictures like from the Hubble?

The cameras that took the images for the movie are located near the pointed tip of one of the spacecraft's three solar-array arms. They are part of Juno's Magnetic Field Investigation (MAG) and are normally used to determine the orientation of the magnetic sensors.

www.nasa.gov...

So it's only a small auxiliary camera that tracks the stars for spacecraft orientation. photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

"What are these people doing with America's money?" you ask. Then answer is - they are doing science and exploration.

~~ Deny ignorance ~~
edit on 13-12-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
It strikes me very odd that There has been technology available to do this, and to do it better, since 1966. You know, when Howard Hughes was running a monopoly on telecom satellites along with the Apollo propaganda movies, both industries, telecom and propaganda (read: publicity) Hughes was intimately involved with from the very beginning of his 1938 round the world record flight using Top Secret US Army "computer" navigation device, a "robot did most of the flying."

Why is this considered the "First Video Ever Of The Moon Orbiting Earth"? These science propaganda movies should have been made back in the 1960's... I just wonder why now they have come out with these images...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter
It strikes me very odd that There has been technology available to do this, and to do it better, since 1966. You know, when Howard Hughes was running a monopoly on telecom satellites along with the Apollo propaganda movies, both industries, telecom and propaganda (read: publicity) Hughes was intimately involved with from the very beginning of his 1938 round the world record flight using Top Secret US Army "computer" navigation device, a "robot did most of the flying."

Why is this considered the "First Video Ever Of The Moon Orbiting Earth"? These science propaganda movies should have been made back in the 1960's... I just wonder why now they have come out with these images...

Because they never have had a camera pointed at Earth from that distance? There has been technology available for this for a few decades, but no opportunity to do so. Even this video wasn't planned as such; it was simply an opportunity provided by the fact that the camera was pointing at the Earth at the time.

As star trackers, the cameras were not designed for imaging the planets. This sequence exists because of their serendipitous placement on the spacecraft -- situated on Juno's magnetometer boom, at the end of one of the craft's large solar arrays. The cameras happened to be pointed in Juno's direction of motion during the flyby, allowing this movie sequence to be obtained.
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 13-12-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Right, because Selfie's are just things that are always left out by the brightest minds around.

Or, could it just be that an agenda to make sure nothing like that can ever be seen.

Dam people I take better pictures of the moon with my Panasonic GH3 than I can find available for the public, no, no conspiracy here, In fact, none are ANYWHERE.

Woops, I forgot about science !!, Science that all available limiter of anything real !!
edit on 14-12-2013 by ParasuvO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

ParasuvO
reply to post by wildespace

Right, because Selfie's are just things that are always left out by the brightest minds around.

In space exploration and science, every planned step must be justified, because it costs money, time, and resources. Even Curiosity rover's selfies had a purpose - looking at how much martian dust accumulated on its surfaces.

Or, could it just be that an agenda to make sure nothing like that can ever be seen.

But then why release such video now? And why release still images of the Earth and the Moon from distant vantage point? It has been done in the past. What could possibly be revealed by such pictures and videos that we don't already know?

Dam people I take better pictures of the moon with my Panasonic GH3 than I can find available for the public, no, no conspiracy here, In fact, none are ANYWHERE.

You haven't seen the hi-res images of the Moon from LRO then, have you? wms.lroc.asu.edu...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
I suppose that they had to spend most of the money on other more important things than a good camera seeing they are heading way out there ...You would think though that a bunch of people could chip in for a good camera ...It sure would be nice to see real clear pictures of our earth ..

The pictures are time lapsed only grabbing a couple of frames makes them blurry. I dont think you would want to spend the hours it would take watching the original video.And the camera used was made to track stars meaning low level light. This is not the main camera system this is for guidance only.
edit on 12/15/13 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

suz62
That's makes me feel how utterly alone we are in the universe.

That's what the Raptoroids on planet Zirkonian 1B and the Giggleblips on beautiful Khalimeria said too.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
For once, really nice music, instead instead of heavy metal crap, really enjoyable, many thanks and stars.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I posted a still of this earlier in the thread. I had no idea they did a full time lapse but this was taken by Deep Impact/EPOXI back in 2008 so contrary to the media report, THIS is actually the first such movie of the Earth and Moon taken from a long distance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join