It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Interpreter for The President

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
Has anyone considered that just like different languages, sign language may be different in other parts of the world? Maybe the man in the OP from the South African deaf society or whatever didn't think it made sense because the guy was signing in ASL (American Sign Language).

Nope. Deaf people around the world noticed this (or at least failed to understand the wild flapping of the arms)...

As I mentioned earlier: During the broadcast of the memorial service, a local news station had their interpreter on as well, and I noticed a difference between their signing, but didn't really think much of it at the time... Here is a comparison of the two:

And obviously the very first meme:

edit on 12-12-2013 by Gemwolf because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The tracked down the guy, and according to him he had "a schizphrenic episode" [sic]...

The man accused of faking his sign language interpretations at Nelson Mandela's memorial service earlier this week has apologised, saying that he had suffered a schizphrenic episode while on stage.
Jantjie, speaking in The Star, claims to have suffered a schizophrenic episode while on stage and started hallucinating and hearing voices in his head.

"There was nothing I could do. I was alone in a very dangerous situation. I tried to control myself and not show the world what was going on. I am very sorry, it’s the situation I found myself in."
Source

I'm sure that doesn't make the Secret Service guys feel any better...

Personally I don't buy his story/excuse. But I have heard worse excuses, so I guess we'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt?
edit on 12-12-2013 by Gemwolf because: Forgot source

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Don't you love the security aspect of this story, we have a fraud unknown standing within inches of numerous dignitaries who it seems is also a schizophrenic (stupid newspaper didn't even spell the word right!).

Basically there's a mentally ill man next to the the signer, oops sorry a mentally ill man next to the US President.

I'm sure the guy is as harmless as me but its a massive error in security...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

in light of his confession - does the gentleman actually have any credentials to act as a sign interpertor ?

nothing I have read says

I only ask because a friend of mine is now going through the accreditation process to be a court interpretor [ Danish / English ] and the authorities are very demanding

would the RSA govt - REALLY employ a sign interpretor - or any interpretor without genuine qualifications for diplomatic work ?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I heard the sign language was so bad it looked like something a third base coach would be doing. He may as well have been dancing up there. But anyway, buahahahaha sigh , buahahaha

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It's not clear exactly what his qualifications are, but according to him he has done the same type of work for President Zuma in the past...

...The 34-year-old man makes ends meet by interpreting, and pictures in a document at his house show him on duty next to various people, including President Jacob Zuma.

When SA Interpreters, the company Jantjie works for, told him on Monday that he would interpret at the memorial service, Jantjie said he felt honoured to be part of that historic event.
He was to be paid R850 for the whole day’s job, he said.

The office of the Presidency has since contacted Jantjie to find out who recommended him for the job. ...

And personally I think to pay someone only R850 (about US$85) for something that big is a disgrace. But then I suppose you get what you pay for?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by Gemwolf

in light of his confession - does the gentleman actually have any credentials to act as a sign interpertor ?

nothing I have read says

I only ask because a friend of mine is now going through the accreditation process to be a court interpreter [ Danish / English ] and the authorities are very demanding

would the RSA govt - REALLY employ a sign interpreter - or any interpreter without genuine qualifications for diplomatic work ?

I saw an interview with a South African lady who works as an interpreter on tv last night and she had inquired in all possible Deaf support centers if they knew who the man was. There aren't that many deaf interpreters in that part of the world so everyone basically knows everyone and no one had ever heard of or seen him before.
So him saying he had some sort of mental breakdown is getting harder to believe.

I remember looking at him and thinking something was wrong. ( I watch repeat programmes on the BBC at night sometimes when I can't sleep or have missed them. I love seeing how different interpreters use they faces to express more extreme situations and emotions)
I know they can teach chimpanzees sign language, so maybe it was for all the monkeys watching?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

I just read about that, now this really makes me wonder.
wow

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Of course you had to make it about Obama when the guy was there to sign for everyone who spoke. Typical ATS bull#e.
CNN reporting on this guy who now says he's schizophrenic.
An American sign expert said he's just gesticulating and not saying anything.
Wow what security...not

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

After reading this article and learning that the "SA Interpreters" company "vanished (read: doesn't exist), I'm pretty much convinced that the Jantjie bloke is yet another friend or family-member of a high-ranking ANC official. Illustrating once again the corruption in our wonderful government. According to this article there has been previous complaints about this fella, but it fell on deaf ears. (Oops. Accidental pun. Sorry.)

Pure speculation from my side with regards to the corruption - but I will not be surprised if it turns out to be facts.

Sigh.
edit on 12-12-2013 by Gemwolf because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

Thank you well said.
Desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess.
When ya got nothing improvise.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Advantage
Didnt they think anyone would notice??

The weirdest things happen lately. Does no one in govt have ANY integrity anymore? Thats just darned weird.

What does this have to do with integrity in government.??? Oh yeah....nothing .

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Advantage
Stop whining about people including Obama in their complaints.. it gets SO annoying.. both sides of this are getting on my last nerve around here.

If you didnt notice, this wasnt Obamas personal buddy translator. It was provided to him and translated others as well. This is yet another governmental issue where no one can be honest or has any integrity.

No it's a case of event planners not checking someone's credentials. It doesn't have anything to do with government.
But right wingers did in fact use this to whine about the President yet again. Some things are self evident .
Oh and no one around here is going to care about your last nerve so either grow thicker skin or stick to the Disney channel.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Gemwolf
reply to post by Stormdancer777

After reading this article and learning that the "SA Interpreters" company "vanished (read: doesn't exist), I'm pretty much convinced that the Jantjie bloke is yet another friend or family-member of a high-ranking ANC official. Illustrating once again the corruption in our wonderful government. There has been previous complaints about this fella, but it fell on deaf ears. (Oops. Accidental pun. Sorry.)

Pure speculation from my side - but I will not be surprised if it turns out to be facts.

Sigh.
edit on 12-12-2013 by Gemwolf because: Another thought

pfffssttt....my morning coffee just squirted out my nose.....it fell on deaf ears!!!!....HAHAHAHA....Henny Youngman in training...I gave you a star just for that bad joke
edit on 12-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

It's a sign i tell you.

It's a sign.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Apparently he was overcome by the moment and went into some sort of schizophrenic episode.

this means, in normal, calm and natural surroundings he should be able to do normal sign language.

I'd like the south African government to arrange a live test.

the only alternative is that he was brainwashed/mind controlled by some super unknown technology that was still in its infancy.. and it didn't go to plan!

personally, I believe its a load of bull-plop and the SA government is now covering its incompetence.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

edit on 12-12-2013 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

hmmmmm

From your link,

who are they going to shoot and kill with their machine guns?

Jantjie beside President Zuma at the ANC Centenary Celebrations in Bloemfontein, South Africa, in January 2012.

youtu.be...

edit on 083131p://bThursday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

alldaylong
reply to post by Tusks

It's a sign i tell you.

It's a sign.

In the words of the late great Jackie Gleason "You're a riot Alice, a riot. "

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join