It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couriers paid per parcel they deliver are desperately dumping Christmas gifts in wheelie bins etc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Couriers paid per parcel they deliver are desperately dumping Christmas gifts in wheelie bins, under doormats and in plain sight of the street. A Money Mail investigation has discovered how overworked, underpaid and untrained delivery men are simply abandoning presents at addresses in order to meet onerous targets. These workers, thousands of whom are temporarily employed at this time of year, are given as little as five minutes to drive to an address and drop off a parcel before starting the next order.

Desperate delivery men ditch your Christmas gifts in the BIN: How they get 280 seconds to make a drop-off and 80p per package (and nothing if you're out) Some couriers paid per parcel but get nothing for a 'you're not in card' As little as five minutes to drive to an address, drop-off and then restart Some parcels abandoned and found by binmen Delivery firms can be almost impossible to call

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I used to work for a delivery firm that delivered for catalogues etc and we were sent to areas we had never been before in our life and expected to deliver between 150-200 parcels and addresses each day 6 days a week. We were not paid any overtime and warned if we came back with any that were not in or not delivered. Slave labour and poor wages. Won't mention the firm but it was connected to Royal Mail.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You guys really need to form a union.
Strike is a word that ,we'll for lack of a better term, strikes fear into the hearts of any employer.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I came so close to doing this but managed to get a full time - perm job.

So glad I didn't. Is this line of work not even regulated?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
its like being sent to say new york where you have never been to and expected to find 150-200 addresses and half are not in. plus drive and secure the load. then they dock your wages if you come back with some of it. Amazon is the worst offender for this.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I feel particularly bad for the guys in rural areas like where I live, where it can take them an hour to deliver a single parcel to somebody.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
best of all, those with money give you nothing as a tip for xmas, but poor people offer you something which i always made an excuse as they couldnt afford it.
an old woman opened the door as soon as i knocked and i advised her to get a peep hole and chain on her door as there are too many shady crooks around. she thanked me and was grateful for the info

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

i must be a nightmare then with the amount of stuff that i order from the internet and if you live in a tower block or a very remote area i feel sorry for those guys but watch royal mail shed jobs big time soon when the sorting side is automated my friend who works there says 100.000 could go ,

some of those parcel bosses should do a few rounds to see what a hard job those guys have on a daily basis but i have generally found them to be great at their jobs . its the bosses
edit on 11/12/13 by geobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

So glad I work for Royal Mail...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

100,000. Lol, your friend pulled that figure out of his arse...

ETA: A hell of a lot of mail is already sorted through machines. The only jobs being cut right now will be temps in the sorting centres.
edit on 11-12-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

i used to start at the top of tower blocks and work my way down. one day, a small guy half way down jumped out and said boo! i jumped a mile and chased the wee bugger lol

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

i agree with that figure, its all getting automated now except deliveries...
mail might be sorted but parcels are not
edit on 11-12-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

The majority of staff are on delivery so that figure is BS.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Wide-Eyes
reply to post by geobro

100,000. Lol, your friend pulled that figure out of his arse...

ETA: A hell of a lot of mail is already sorted through machines. The only jobs being cut right now will be temps in the sorting centres.
edit on 11-12-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)
he started as a temp 15+ years ago and has now gone on to the rounds as he knows jobs are going to get cut big time plus i never looked to se where that figure came from
were not that close

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

have you ever worked for a delivery firm? i have and done long distance driving deliveries so do know what im talking about first hand. i have a class 1 licence and have driven everything except buses,, have you so please dont talk about something you know nothing about in the first place.
drivers are treated second rate at most of these depots i should know.

Automobile Transportation – Going Driverless

Over the next 10 years we will see the first wave of autonomous vehicles hit the roads, with some of the first inroads made by vehicles that deliver packages, groceries, and fast-mail envelopes.

The first wave of driverless vehicles will be luxury vehicles that allow you to kick back, listen to music, have a cup of coffee, stop wherever you need to along the way, stay productive in transit with connections to the Internet, make phone calls, and even watch a movie or two, for substantially less than the cost of today’s limos.

Driverless technology will initially require a driver, but it will quickly creep into everyday use much as airbags did. First as an expensive option for luxury cars, but eventually it will become a safety feature stipulated by the government.

The greatest benefits of this kind of automation won’t be realized until the driver’s hands are off the wheel. With over 2 million people involved in car accidents every year in the U.S., it won’t take long for legislators to be convinced that driverless cars are a substantially safer and more effective option.

The privilege of driving is about to be redefined.

Jobs Going Away

Taxi and limo drivers, gone.
Bus drivers, gone.
Truck drivers, gone.
Gas stations, parking lots, traffic cops, traffic courts, gone.
Fewer doctors and nurses will be needed to treat injuries.
Pizza (and other food) delivery drivers, gone.
Mail delivery drivers, gone.
FedEx and UPS delivery jobs, gone.
As people shift from owning their own vehicles to a transportation-on-demand system, the total number of vehicles manufactured will also begin to decline.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The local Fed-Ex, UPS and DHL guys here in Michigan have a turnaround time of 4 minutes for each to get to the destination. And thats with traffic, weather and eventually trying to find the right person/dept/house to deliver to and get sometimes get a signature from.

And its worse around the holidays...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

i never looked to see where that figure came from, we're not that close

Lol. That was a wise moove on your friends behalf.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

have you so please dont talk about something you know nothing about in the first place.

I haven't worked for any of the other parcel companies, I'm a postman. However, I do know about Royal Mail and the USO. Because of the USO, it would be impossible to cut 100.000 jobs. Just saying...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

scotsdavy1

i agree with that figure, its all getting automated now except deliveries...
mail might be sorted but parcels are not

Well ... about that ..

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Looks expensive to me. How long is it going to take them to set up the infrastructure to make that service available for everyone?

edit on 12-12-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Several years, as soon as the FAA comes up with guidelines for UAV's they will be ready, and it will be 30 minutes from order to delivery time. So quicker than a pizza. They can hold up to 5lbs I believe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join