Teen who killed 4, hurt 9 others in drunk driving just gets probation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
www.wfaa.com...

FORT WORTH — A juvenile court judge sentenced 16-year-old Ethan Couch to 10 years' probation Tuesday for the drunken driving crash that killed four people.

I saw this on the local news earlier today. All I can say is...what?!?! This guy killed 4 people and he only gets probation. Yes he is a teen, but if he thinks he's old enough to drink like an adult, then he should be treated like an adult.

Youth pastor Brian Jennings; mother and daughter Hollie and Shelby Boyles; and 24-year-old Breanna Mitchell died in the June 15 accident.

Investigators said Couch was driving a pickup truck between 68 and 70 miles-per-hour in a 40 mph zone. The four who died were standing on the side of the road outside their vehicle. Nine others were hurt.

I understand that young people do stupid stuff and they make those mistakes only once, sometimes more than once, and giving them a little slap on the wrist is fine. But when it comes to killing someone, in this case 4, that's a whole nother story.

From what I gather from the article, this kid was spoiled and his parents didn't actually punish him for anything.

Miller said Couch's parents gave him "freedoms no young person should have." He called Couch a product of "affluenza," where his family felt that wealth bought privilege and there was no rational link between behavior and consequences.

He said Couch got whatever he wanted. As an example, Miller said Couch's parents gave no punishment after police ticketed the then-15-year-old when he was found in a parked pickup with a passed out, undressed 14-year-old girl.

This kid was totally trashed. His BA level was .24.

Miller also pointed out that Couch was allowed to drive at 13. He said the teen was emotionally flat and needed years of therapy. At the time of the fatal wreck, Couch had a blood alcohol content of .24, said Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson.

This is just pathetic. A little rich white get gets away basically scot free after killing 4 and hurting 9 others.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

What do you want an eye for an eye? Haven't you heard that makes the whole world blind..

That is a tragic case. He needs to learn the value of human life, as well as everyone else.

But by ruining someones life make the world better?

Hell I don't know maybe force the guy to do good things. '

Or we can start up public hangings again.

Because honestly I think that would be effective
edit on 10-12-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Would you still be as angry about it or have posted if he was black, brown, yellow or red? I think the last line in your post is unnecessary. I really enjoyed it and wanted to agree with you, until you threw in the racial aspect.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Rectorate

Would you still be as angry about it or have posted if he was black, brown, yellow or red? I think the last line in your post is unnecessary. I really enjoyed it and wanted to agree with you, until you threw in the racial aspect.

Absolutely. Race and income are a major factor in our justice system. If you're not white or don't have a truckton of cash, the justice system here is going after you. If the guy was a low income minority, the judge would of absolutely thrown the book at him.
edit on 10-12-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
We don't practice Sharia law here in the US. Sometimes, that is unfortunate but in this case, what do you think should be done? 10 years of probation is quite a long time, if he makes a misstep, there is a good chance he will end up serving his entire deferred sentence which is handed down in cases like this should probation fail.

You are suggesting basicly that another life be lost because of this tragedy and while I completely understand the outrage, I'm not sure I agree with the inferred remedy.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

If he was 16 when he did this then obviously he was 17 or close to it when sentenced. If it was not first degree murder than even if put in jail he's out at 18, time served. This way it sticks with him for a good long time and if he breaks probation after 18 he is charged as an adult. Sometimes there is a reason for doing things that are not understood by people not privy to the whole picture.

By the way; I didn't see in the article where it mentioned his race. Why you trying to make race the issue?
edit on 10-12-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
When I was younger I worked in an ER for about a decade.. was an RN. Ive seen a LOT of things alcohol does.. wrecks, assaults, accidents, brawls, abuse, alcohol poisoning, end stage liver failure..etc.. and its legal. Entire families brought in due to drunk driving wrecks. Many fatalities.
The one illegal thing that I NEVER saw result in any of these things was a certain weed. Not once in a decade.

I dont drink and I have never done "other" things. Just never appealed to me. Il tell you this, Id rather be in a neighborhood full of potheads than one with a single hardcore drunk. Drunks cause mayhem. Potheads just dont do much yard work and laugh at unfunny things.

I wil never wrap my head around that one... why one thng thats so responsible for so many horrible things but its celebrated, advertised, easily available.. versus the other. Just weird.

The entitled are entitled. Theyre raised to never take any personal responsibility for ANYTHING. I believe wholeheartedly in second chances ( even 3rd, 4th, 5th..), but they shouldnt be given until some responsibility is taken.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Teen had been caught DUI before.

As is cited in the OP, his parents taught him the he could literally buy his way into life. He is doing just that.

I agree that making it a race issue is "off-topic" in itself.
OP should have concentrated on the injustice of being given a free out of jail card because one is being rich.

*We all know that OJ Simpson wasn't condemned because he was white... erm I meant rich.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I agree that making it a race issue is "off-topic" in itself.
OP should have concentrated on the injustice of being given a free out of jail card because one is being rich.

Yes, I probably shouldn't have brought that issue into the OP, but I still stand by it and think there's a problem with the justice system when it comes to race.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

You know that some kids KNOW that they can be reckless before 18?

In this case, the teen was told by his parents he could do what he wanted. I think he knew what he was doing, and simply didn't care, because it didn't concern him as a victim.

You are right in saying we are not privy to some things...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Tragic to say the least. Nothing I could say would due justice the tragedy of the people killed in this case.

But I do wonder what good it would do to send this kid to prison. Lock him up and the family of the victims pay taxes to incarcerate him.......I say we keep an eye on him (probation) and put him to work in the community.

The shame and humility of that would serve him better than going to prison, where he would learn to become a real criminal.

SS

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The kid didn't get off too easy , with 10 years probation he's going to be doing life on the installment plan. Do you seriously think he can stay out of trouble for 10 years, he messes up he's going to do some time then go right back on probation again.. . He's going to screw up time and time again, guaranteed.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

What do you want an eye for an eye? Haven't you heard that makes the whole world blind..

That is a tragic case. He needs to learn the value of human life, as well as everyone else.

But by ruining someones life make the world better?

Hell I don't know maybe force the guy to do good things. '

Or we can start up public hangings again.

Because honestly I think that would be effective
edit on 10-12-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

The Eye for an Eye making the world blind is a foolish term. If there where truelly eye for an eye/instant direct equal karma, humanity would quickly evolve and not do stupid things since it would become a evolutionary imperative to survival.

For instance if a religious priest stoned someone over adultery he would also have to be stoned himself. See how fast you would have gotten rid small minded religious dogma if it was followed.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You should then make a thread about this subject with real examples, etc, demonstrating it. Because one case won't prove it.

You are half forgiven for admitting, tho... lol

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Agree in many ways. I personally think the kid needs to go get locked up for awhile though. Not sure how much time I think is appropriate without hearing more about it. Throw him in jail for 5, 10, 20 years and he's going to come out worse than when he went in. You're right, that's destroying yet another life making the whole thing even worse. I don't like him getting away without punishment though. I believe that teaches the wrong lesson.

10 years probation is indeed a long time. I would like to hear the terms of his probation. I would hope that he has to attend alcohol counseling and be tested (the tests can detect for a pretty long period of time now, I think up to two weeks) regularly and randomly for drugs and alcohol use. I would also hope that any sort of slip up would result in jail time.

To me it sounds like the parents were a big part of this, indicated by the order he not be around them for at least 6 months. I've never heard of such a thing. I don't like the idea of letting the person who is truly at fault off the hook completely, but I do understand that parenting can play a role in the dumbassery of children. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I got caught with a passed out naked girl in my truck when I was 16, and would have been skinned alive and barred from driving until I could afford my own vehicle, insurance etc. if I wasn't legally allowed to drive.

I do wonder what the outcome would have been if the parents were unable to afford the $450,000 for rehab. I don't doubt it's a better alternative, and agree with the judge in that aspect. What does that mean for another stupid kid though? One without almost a half million available?

The whole thing sucks but I don't think vengeance is the answer. I think a more appropriate punishment is, but I don't want it as severe as I know some folks do. As it stands I don't think justice was served, but I think it's important we don't let the tragedy worsen.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I agree. I see it in my community and it makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
He had 2 prior alcohol violations.

After that he got smashed again and it resulted in needless death.

Would prison ruin his life? Maybe.

Preventing future harm of innocents has to take precedent. Clearly getting slapped on the wrist isn't having an impact on him. Hopefully the weight of guilt will….but that's not a risk I think we should take imo.

His mother paid $423 in court costs. As terms of his probation, her son agreed to take an alcohol awareness class and participate in 12 hours of community service, to be completed by June 19.

This horrible incident took place during the time he was supposed to be taking an alcohol awareness class.

He is giving society no evidence that his actions will change.
edit on 10-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yes, the terms of the probation and a complete description of previous history should clear up many of the finer details. I agree that immediate punishment should have been enforced. My opinion is that a year in a juvenile lock up would have given him enough time to contemplate the gravity of not abiding by his probation rules. In this respect, the system may have done him more harm than good.

Should he not feel compelled enough by consequence, he may just end up seriously violating his terms and end up in prison for a very long time or even worse, hurting or killing somebody else.

These types of things are never easily understood by all sides because while I understand the logic about what has been done, I don't know if that comforts the families that have lost their loved ones because of this incident and I doubt they would call the sentence that was handed down, justice.

It's a complicated case and story, one that I can say that I thank God am not a part of because if it had been my wife, my son, my daughter that this boy killed, I don't think my logic would serve me quite as well.

Here is hoping the families that have been affected by this cope as they can and heal and that this young man who has perpetrated a great and terrible crime against people he didn't know and wished no ill will can all live through this and somehow forgive and learn. Little comfort for the families I know........

edit on 10-12-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
He had 2 prior alcohol violations.
After that he got smashed again and it resulted in needless death.

Everyone gets a second chance with me..
Based on personal experience I don't believe drunk, intoxicated, txting, putting on makeup or in general distracted drivers should get a second chance but society gives them that chance.
When you start getting into multiple arrests for any of those scenarios I lose all tolerance.

I'm sure the same people that post on other threads will come up with justifications like "in florida driving intoxicated is a .34 which really doesn't mean your are drunk" .. "alcoholism is a disease so a 5, 6, 7, 10 time repeat offender shouldn't go to jail, they should get treatment"

Tell that to all the people that have lost loved ones, friends , family members due to a distracted or intoxicated driver.

Additionally cry me a river that this kid is only 16. The minute you decide to get behind the wheel you are accountable for your actions. I would say they should ban him from driving forever but it doesn't matter..criminals like this are selfish until or if they find sobriety for life and the chances are he will do it again and when he does, and if he kills yet another person he should never see the light of day again.

edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3110ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

There is no precedent for it, but in this case i think in addition to the probation the parents responsible for this kid getting behind the wheel should be charged with criminal neglect or even accessory to murder. The kid gets on the wrong track multiple times and now he has his parents to blame for the end result. Yeah there should be personal responsibility as well, but these parents raised this child this way.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join