It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 - 75 watt lightbulbs are going to cost me $100 ???!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

They never had to change this bulb either...since the early 1900's

Link

This light bulb as many of you may know has been burning for over 100 years...up until recently they shut the power off for ten hours but fired it back up and it continues to light up...amazing that they cannot replicate this old but workhouse of a light bulb...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It was Fox, we saw that show.

I stocked up on 40 and 60W bulbs, bulbs for the stove and refrigerator....and bathroom.
Hopefully, by the time I run out, they'll have it figured out.

I hate new ones, unless the look like daylight.
Our bulb of choice is GE Reveal...it really does make a difference.

Regular fluorescent and those coil bulbs hurt my eyes....

Probably need to get more aquarium lights, before those damn fools outlaw fluorescent tubes too

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

schuyler

tinker9917
I hope they come with a guarantee, like for when the door slams too hard or the lamp gets knocked over...

If the door slams and the lamp gets knocked over, whose fault is that? The light bulb's? There ought to be a guarantee on the light bulb itself for not simply burning out ahead of its claimed life, but there should NOT be a guarantee that a bulb will still work because of something you caused yourself. That's just silly. Take some responsibility.

I did NOT say the lamp falls over when the door slams.

Our porch lights have to be replaced at least monthly because when you close the front door too hard the vibration makes the bulb go bad (we have an older house and, depending on the temperature, you have to close the door harder when its cold in order for it to latch). Also, we have kids that slam the door too hard, as kids will do.

And, kids tend to knock lamps over at times. Usually the bulbs survive, but not always.

I'm just saying that I can't afford $24 per bulb due to it not surviving vibrations and a little bump.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

tinker9917

schuyler

tinker9917
I hope they come with a guarantee, like for when the door slams too hard or the lamp gets knocked over...

If the door slams and the lamp gets knocked over, whose fault is that? The light bulb's? There ought to be a guarantee on the light bulb itself for not simply burning out ahead of its claimed life, but there should NOT be a guarantee that a bulb will still work because of something you caused yourself. That's just silly. Take some responsibility.

I did NOT say the lamp falls over when the door slams.

Our porch lights have to be replaced at least monthly because when you close the front door too hard the vibration makes the bulb go bad (we have an older house and, depending on the temperature, you have to close the door harder when its cold in order for it to latch). Also, we have kids that slam the door too hard, as kids will do.

And, kids tend to knock lamps over at times. Usually the bulbs survive, but not always.

I'm just saying that I can't afford $24 per bulb due to it not surviving vibrations and a little bump.

You SAID this:

Yes, technically, you're correct, but you are being pedantic about it, and the lamp getting knocked over is part of the deal. WHY should a manufacturer guarantee a lamp against your own behavior? If the door slams, that's your fault. If the lamp gets knocked over, that's your fault. So DON'T slam the door and DON'T knock over the lamp: Problem solved!

Besides, how is that different from current incandescent light bulbs which are notoriously fragile? Surely you are not claiming they are more robust than the newer bulbs! I use "heavy duty" bulbs in the garage, but the garage door opener's vibrations eventually get to them, too. It's part of life. One deals with it.

Your choices are: Horde the older bulbs or use the newer bulbs. But forget about a guarantee that protects you against your own abuse. It's not going to happen.
edit on 12/11/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Count me firmly in the pro-incandescent camp.

I have been hoarding the bulbs since the Canadian government decided they, too, would phase out 100W bulbs. I now have over 300 of the damned things LOL As validation of my choice, there was a study a few years back that stated in colder climates, incandescent costs less overall than LED or CFL because it will invariably cost more to use a furnace to replace the lost heat the bulbs produce... and in Canada and the Northern States, that's a real concern.

Anecdotal evidence of their longevity (CFL): In my current place I installed CFL's (name-brand, not discount bulbs) just over 3 years ago in low use areas that amounted to 7 bulbs. Since then, I have replaced ONE incandescent bulb (excluding oven light), and FOUR CFL's. Full disclosure: I buy name-brand incandescent as well.

Overall, I consider CFL's a poor replacement and LED will produce even less heat so I can't see them as being practical either.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I would have to see how the light looks before I switched, I cant stand the way CFL look and they give me headaches like most flouros do.

Cree does make very high quality LEDs though, they are used in many commercial LED grow lights and they will last a long time.

Im moving into a new place soon with almost all the light bulbs gone so I might give these a whirl if I can swing that kind of cash on some lights.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by pheonix358

Hm, interesting.

I've never had an issue with mine, never have had one go out. Although I mostly buy industrial grade LED's for my greenhouse.

for my omega garden.

I'll keep that in mind though.

~Tenth

Oh thats a cool link!

Ive been looking into those LED grow lights. Like a panel of them. Im still in the learning phase of constructing my own DIY.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

I know nothing about light bulbs. All I know is I like the "old school" ones that you could get a pack of 4 for $1.00 back in the day and they came in all wattages. I prefer those but they are getting harder to find because all those coil bulbs are being shoved. I hate them. They are far too bright even with the lightest one. They don't fit my lamp shades either.

The cost of lightbulbs is getting crazy. We have a lot of lights in our place and at our last place we spent a small fortune replacing the bulbs that had to be all fancy. I hated it, they never lasted as long as they said they would. My good "old school" ones last forever to me. Much longer than the new ones.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

I know nothing about light bulbs. All I know is I like the "old school" ones that you could get a pack of 4 for $1.00 back in the day and they came in all wattages. I prefer those but they are getting harder to find because all those coil bulbs are being shoved. I hate them. They are far too bright even with the lightest one. They don't fit my lamp shades either.

The cost of lightbulbs is getting crazy. We have a lot of lights in our place and at our last place we spent a small fortune replacing the bulbs that had to be all fancy. I hated it, they never lasted as long as they said they would. My good "old school" ones last forever to me. Much longer than the new ones.

HEY Bllah blah! Yeah, and those CFLs wont accommodate my scented ceramic rings that heat up oil from the heat of the NORMAL lightbulb!

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

They never had to change this bulb either...since the early 1900's

Link

This light bulb as many of you may know has been burning for over 100 years...up until recently they shut the power off for ten hours but fired it back up and it continues to light up...amazing that they cannot replicate this old but workhouse of a light bulb...

Thanks Chrismarco, I remembered seeing the show on that light bulb many years ago and was going to do a search for it, you saved me the trouble.

I too am holding onto the old incandescent style bulb as long as possible. Have been picking them up ever since the first talk of banning them hit the web. I have been working in offices and retail stores for over 40 years and have never liked the fluorescent tubes, and the curly style ones are not even on my radar. I cannot read by them without getting a headache, and they can't be used in tri-light style lamps (which we have several of at home). As far as the LED ones go, I will wait until they have been around awhile and proven to be safe, gentle on the eyes and reasonably priced before even considering them, hope I have enough of the good old ones to get me there.

The office I have now has a full wall of windows and I shut off the overhead fluorescent lights as much as possible, its so nice to get away from the glare and humming of those tubes. Unfortunately, it seems that clear sunny days are fewer, fewer and with the shorter daylight hours during the winter months, I am forced to use them more often than I like. Over half of the tubes (there are are 4 fixtures, so at least 8, if not 16 in total) in my office, which is about 10' x 12', are burned out and I chase the maintenance crews away every time they try to replace them.

I do not understand why TPTB feel they need to force their views on everyone, why not let the people make up their own minds on how they light their homes. If you choose to switch to the newer bulbs that's OK....but it should be your choice not theirs.

My 2 cents worth,
YogaGinns

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
After reading through this thread I see lots of people disagreeing with the government plan and I see very few to almost none pushing the new bulbs.

I read lots of posts on the downside of things as in they are expensive/ they do not last near as long as advertized/ they are not cheap/ they are made in China like everything else now.

I have florescent tubes in our garage which is non insulated and we do live in Canada and today the high was 14 F

The tubes were useless and the only light that worked was the 60 watt bulb in the garage door opener light.

We have 4 100 watt bulbs on the go at our home, two for the front and back porch lights and two for our motion sensor lights ( coach lights) on the garage front.

Right now if somebody pulls up in our drive or walks up the lights come on immediately, but with the new twisty little girls they are promoting it would be minutes before we get any light at all.

case in point is our neighbours across the street they have the CFL bulbs in their out side lights and they take ages to actually light up during the winter.

As YogaGinns said in the above post we have been stocking up of the incandescent bulbs for over a year and now they are getting hard to find.

We went to Canadian Tire a few weeks ago to get some more and all they had was about 20 packages and this is in a city of about 70 thousand or so........we bought every one they had.
It was only a year ago they had a full wall filled with the old school bulbs but let me tell you no more at least in our city.
Last year we had to travel out of town quite a few times for medical stuff and the closest hotel to the hospital had those bloody CFL's in every lamp and we like to read.

After the first trip we packed our own bulbs and then we could read and actually see the room too.

We felt like criminals packing heat but it was just for reading:-)

S&F

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 12-12-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
If you're interested here's a place to get cheap Led lights. Only problem with getting stuff from China is the 2 week wait on the shipping.

Link.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Hope they are better than the CFL (Compact Fluorescent). I fell for the green BS with the CFL's. Basicially I have to replace them once per year.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
No...just buy the flourescents and save yourself 90 bucks or more.

If you do it now, and convert in total you will save a few bucks a year.

100 watt lightbulb going for 10 hours will cost you roughly .... 11 cents
The equivalent in fluorescent will cost you roughly..... 4 cents.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
lies

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

i'd suggest if you want to DIY that you look into Bloom Boxes.

They are professionally made, but the concept ( without all the technology like water regulation etc.) are actually quite easy to build. You don't need panels of lights either, just a few 220's usually.

www.bcnorthernlights.com...

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Advantage

mblahnikluver

HEY Bllah blah! Yeah, and those CFLs wont accommodate my scented ceramic rings that heat up oil from the heat of the NORMAL lightbulb!

I know!! I love those oil rings and they don't fit on the new bulbs. I have vintage lamp shades that all require being fitted to the older ones. I will not replace my awesome lamp shades either lol

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Urantia1111
i don't get it. why outlaw regular bulbs? don't energy companies make more money if i burn the old style? i just read a thread here saying that the gov is considering taxing/penalizing people for using solar panels. do they want us to save energy or not?

Traditional incandescent light bulbs only lasted 3-4 months, and then went into land-fill or recycling sites. That proved to be a hazard to the environment. I remember I had to replace mine that often. 100 watt bulbs also melted the plastic fittings!!! Obviously, the manufacturers were using cheap plastic and something had to change. So it was the light bulbs.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Traditional incandescent light bulbs only lasted 3-4 months, and then went into land-fill or recycling sites. That proved to be a hazard to the environment. I remember I had to replace mine that often. 100 watt bulbs also melted the plastic fittings!!! Obviously, the manufacturers were using cheap plastic and something had to change. So it was the light bulbs.
reply to post by stormcell

Not true, Our incandescent bulbs last much longer than 3-4 months, our coach lights on the garage which happen to be outside in the cold weather last well over a year. And If I may add they go on and off all the time when people or vehicles trip them on (motion sensor)

The ones in the house fair even better, heck I have a 40 watt bulb going right now that must be at least three years old.

Our bathroom lights over the mirror are 60 watts and last at least 18 months.

All this service for only about 69 cents a bulb........yep we can't wait to spend 20-30 bucks a bulb that will last about the same amount of time.

As for your bulbs melting your fixtures did you ever read the rating on those before installing a bulb?

Lucky for us all of our lamps/ fixtures we purchased are made here in North America pre Chinese manufacturing days about 16 years ago and they all work fine for us.

Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join