It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 - 75 watt lightbulbs are going to cost me $100 ???!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I use CFL's in the house. 6 pack for $15 at Sam's Club. The only ones I have had to replace over 4-5 years are the couple that the kids and I broke. As long as you don't have a cut that can get the powder in it just tell the kids to go to the other room for a few minutes, vacuum everything up and your good to go.
edit on 10-12-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I like traditional light bulbs. I need to go and buy some more 40 watts. We go through those a lot in the kitchen and Diningroom lights. It seems we change one every couple months, but there are five in each light.

I hate the little fluorescent lights, I can hear the sound they make. It is much less than the sound of the long fluorescent fixtures but is still hearable. The light on the LED lights is bright, but for some reason it does not seem natural. I don't care for the computer monitor either, it is hard on the eyes. We have a Plasma TV. That isn't as bad on the eyes but the depth perception is not there like on the old TVs. I think that is the digital myself, it is not full spectrum anymore.

Up here, we use very little lights in the summer, in winter it doesn't matter, the heat from an incandescent bulb just helps heat the house. I haven't paid over fifty cents for an incandescent bulb yet, except for the rough service bulbs in the garage. Well, we did buy bulbs from the Lions Club before, but that was sort of a fundraiser for the chairity work they do.
edit on 10-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
tinker9917

Thank George Bush for that...he passed a law way back phasing out certain light bulbs...nobody cared at the time....

edit on 10-12-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

Link
edit on 10-12-2013 by chrismarco because: so many edits...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I use LED lights a lot. Get them on eBay from Chinese sellers and they are relatively inexpensive.

Make sure you get the voltage right, a lot of them are 220, and pay attention to the lumen output and color temperature.

Cool white is kind of harsh for ambient lighting, I like the warm white. Cool white is good for outdoor lighting and reading lamps. Figure about 1900 lumens to match a 100 watt incadescent.

And you'll find that LEDs don't have much "throw." They produce a lot of light up close, but they don't light up the same distance as incadescents or fluorescents. So figure on using more lights spread out through the room to get the same lighting effect.

One last thing, the circuity in the LED lights can be a little hinky with things like dimmers and remotes. If you get a dimmer designed for LEDs they work OK, but there isn't really a lot of dimming range. I have a lot of X-10 home automation stuff, and when I use the remote to turn off the LED lights, it still feeds enough voltage to keep the lights on very dim.

Just the same. I think I'll start hoarding incadescents. I've been looking for a way to start a challenging and rewarding career as a Black Market entrepeneur.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Urantia1111
i don't get it. why outlaw regular bulbs? don't energy companies make more money if i burn the old style? i just read a thread here saying that the gov is considering taxing/penalizing people for using solar panels. do they want us to save energy or not?

Planned obsolescence, don't you know big bulb industry has been suppressing long lasting bulbs for decades and these new bulbs are just….

Wait what? They last how long?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by tinker9917

Get LED's.

You can spend...20$ and never have to change them again.

~Tenth

There is a major problem here.

The LEDs will last and last, but the electronics to reduce the voltage down is packed into that small little globe and often fails. I make my own using raw LEDs and proper heatsinks and electronics. The worst offenders are the ones designed for downlights. They will not take the heat experienced in the roof space.

It is always the same. For the first few years the QC is good and then they get cheaper and cheaper until you are replacing them more than you did the old ones.

P

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I had no idea that incandescent is going away for good.

I would rather spend $500 on a lifetime supply of filament bulbs than $100 on a coupla LED or flourescent.

personally, I require that light be warm. like a fire. I like to FEEL the light.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I got that beat.
The bottle of vanilla that cost me $400.00
My own fault.
I let my license expire.
Drive to the store for vanilla because I was having company and was making cookies for them.
Got stopped for speeding.
Misread the court date on the ticket.
100.00 fine for speeding and expired license.
300.00 to get my license reinstated.
Lesson learned.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
I got that beat.
The bottle of vanilla that cost me $400.00
My own fault.
I let my license expire.
Drive to the store for vanilla because I was having company and was making cookies for them.
Got stopped for speeding.
Misread the court date on the ticket.
100.00 fine for speeding and expired license.
300.00 to get my license reinstated.
Lesson learned.

ooohhh, that really sucks.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Go get the LED lights. They will outlast you. The trouble with those bulbs after u reach a saturation point, what happens to the company's who sell them?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

tgidkp
I had no idea that incandescent is going away for good.

I would rather spend $500 on a lifetime supply of filament bulbs than $100 on a coupla LED or flourescent.

personally, I require that light be warm. like a fire. I like to FEEL the light.

You know.. strangely enough, I know what you mean by "feeling" the lights. LOL! LED and CFL seem cold.. they make things look cold and surreal. I have special full spectrum bulbs in my picture lights.. and in the bathroom, master bedroom. I even prefer the OLD lights.. the feel of the atmosphere or ambiance is better IMO. I have some antique lamps around and use these.. LOVE to read by them. Reproductions arent bad!
www.1000bulbs.com...
www.ferrowatt.com...
My bedroom looks like a bordello.. LOL! I have some red reproduction glass shades and those lower watt tungsten filament warm lightbulbs. hubba hubba..

The husband put those darned CFLs in the bathroom.. ONCE. They have to heat up to get bright or something.. and then you dont have true to color when youre doing your makeup. COme out looking like something out of a drive in horror movie. Dumb things.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

rickymouse
I like traditional light bulbs. I need to go and buy some more 40 watts. We go through those a lot in the kitchen and Diningroom lights. It seems we change one every couple months, but there are five in each light.

I hate the little fluorescent lights, I can hear the sound they make. It is much less than the sound of the long fluorescent fixtures but is still hearable. The light on the LED lights is bright, but for some reason it does not seem natural. I don't care for the computer monitor either, it is hard on the eyes. We have a Plasma TV. That isn't as bad on the eyes but the depth perception is not there like on the old TVs. I think that is the digital myself, it is not full spectrum anymore.

Up here, we use very little lights in the summer, in winter it doesn't matter, the heat from an incandescent bulb just helps heat the house. I haven't paid over fifty cents for an incandescent bulb yet, except for the rough service bulbs in the garage. Well, we did buy bulbs from the Lions Club before, but that was sort of a fundraiser for the chairity work they do.
edit on 10-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)
i have the same problem with computer monitors but i found f.lux great way for you to control it

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I may get haters...but I do NOT like the LED or florescent light bulbs. When it is cold the florescent bulbs are dull and take longer to 'heat up' to bright. Honestly, I feel like they really don't last any longer than old bulbs. I like a lot of light, especially in our basement so I put in the 100 watt bulbs to brightened the dungeon up
I also don't like the coldness (in color, not heat) that the LED and florescent bulbs give off. I like a warmer look and feel to a room lit by traditional bulbs.

This sucks--I hope they don't get sky high in price..I am going to have to start hording them

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i am a decorator to trade and hate the new bulbs with a vengence i have boxes of incandecent bulbs stored away as i cannot see when cutting in a room when i work in a house they come with me i was buying boxes of 4 for £1 or $1,50 in fiat currency

i have seen old bulbs in places 30 years and more old and some firestation has one 100 years old i never bought into the hype that all the new bulbs will last for years as i see them go all the times in friends places
edit on 11/12/13 by geobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So we need to start making our own light bulbs then? It's not that hard. I may take some time and make a vid showing people how to do it. Actually, I better not because if someone gets fried or burns their house down, I might be liable. nevermind.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Can't speak for the specific brand, but we've had primarily CFL's in our lights for almost six years now. Never had to change one. Bedroom lighting, kitchen lighting, primary living room lighting plus a lamp are all CFL's which get used regularly.

I know six years does not exactly translate to "decades" but it's the only data I have to provide.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just remodeled our house and went full HALO brand LED's. 4" recessed cans everywhere with dimmers and LED strip lighting for the under cabinet kitchen lighting. It was expensive to be sure, but if they last even remotely as long as stated, I'll be quite happy with that. (Plus is was all super easy to install.) CFL bulbs weren't even an option. They give me migraines and screw the toxic crap they spew if you break one.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Hm, interesting.

I've never had an issue with mine, never have had one go out. Although I mostly buy industrial grade LED's for my greenhouse.

for my omega garden.

I'll keep that in mind though.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I pay 6 bucks for a 6 pack of florescents.

And they last a few years.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

tinker9917
I hope they come with a guarantee, like for when the door slams too hard or the lamp gets knocked over...

If the door slams and the lamp gets knocked over, whose fault is that? The light bulb's? There ought to be a guarantee on the light bulb itself for not simply burning out ahead of its claimed life, but there should NOT be a guarantee that a bulb will still work because of something you caused yourself. That's just silly. Take some responsibility.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join