4 - 75 watt lightbulbs are going to cost me $100 ???!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

This year, manufacturers started phasing out 100-watt and 75-watt bulbs, and on Jan. 1, it will become illegal to import or manufacture traditional 60-watt and 40-watt bulbs too.

**** has been selling 60-watt and 40-watt Cree bulbs for about $10. That may seem like a lot for a light bulb, but when you consider that these bulbs use 80% less energy and will keep working literally for decades, the value proposition makes complete sense.

Now Cree has reached another milestone with the introduction of a 75-watt replacement bulb. At $24 per bulb, it’s going to take awhile to catch on, but the thing uses just 13.5 watts to produce 1100 lumens of light. And it is cheaper than a competing offering from Phillips, at $30.

Link

I like paying $1.50 once per year.

Anyone out there use these new Cree lightbulbs that can confirm the decreased energy use/savings and that they last for "decades" as stated in the article?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

People who live in colder climates are going to realize the mistake of this phaseout in regard to street lamps and traffic lights. The new bulbs don't burn hot enough to melt ice and snow.

Let the chaos begin.

jalopnik.com...
edit on 10-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Get LED's.

You can spend...20$ and never have to change them again.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

tinker9917
Anyone out there use these new Cree lightbulbs that can confirm the decreased energy use/savings and that they last for "decades" as stated in the article?

I have a pocket torch powered by 2 1.5 volt batteries and a single Cree LED. It pumps out 300 lumens so I guess these lamps are in line, more or less, with that.

The torch cost 50 euros, without batteries BTW.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I hope they come with a guarantee, like for when the door slams too hard or the lamp gets knocked over...
edit on 10-12-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I haven't used the Cree brand, but I'm as excited as one can get over a ..........lightbulb. The EcoSmarts that we use were considerably more expensive, but I have no problem with them.

I do know that LEDs last a LOT longer than incandescent bulbs. We've had four of them for 5 and 6 years. I expect them to last much longer. I use LED headlamps and an LED dive light, and none of them have ever needed a bulb replacement, unlike the previous ones. LEDs create much less heat, less energy required to do the same work.

...... and if you break one of them, it's not a worry as with the fluorescent.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This is what you get when you cannot be trusted to buy the correct light bulbs, government has made it easy for you to do so, without even having to think about it.

Because its Mandatory.

Think about it: If more people would choose to buy the right sort of toilet and appliances, our benevolent government would not have to force us all to buy the proper kind.

Its for our own good, you know. We brought it upon ourselves for being imperfect and child-like.

And health insurance?

Let's just say we are very fortunate to have the benefit of a caring State that looks out for us, forcing us to do what they know is best for us. Because we can't possibly be trusted to make these important decisions for ourselves.

Right?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
i don't get it. why outlaw regular bulbs? don't energy companies make more money if i burn the old style? i just read a thread here saying that the gov is considering taxing/penalizing people for using solar panels. do they want us to save energy or not?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Well, looks like damned if we do and damned if we don't.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

No.

They don't.

They want to make money on whatever activity you do concerning anything.

The government would much prefer a polluting vehicle that uses traditional gasoline than a vehicle that requires no gasoline that cant be taxed.

By now, everyone should know that no laws or bills have actually done their stated purpose. If you don't know that then you should read any random bill that is still in effect from 10 years ago and see if you can prove it did what it was "intended" to.
edit on 10-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Get LED's.

You can spend...20$ and never have to change them again.

~Tenth

I have yet to see an LED in Canada (even Walmart yuck) that is priced under $30 and would provide as much light as a daylight CFL. Do you have a place where you get them? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Im all for energy conservation and all that stuff, but if I pay 100 bucks for 4 lightbulbs.. it better make sparks shoot out of my ass or something... anything. Thats ridiculous.

Holy hell... Maybe a little over 100 bucks!
reviews.cnet.com...

I mean I have good lighting in the rooms I have some art in.. but I have chandeliers.... with 25 lights in the fining room and the one in the living room is 15 lights. Id have to rob a bank. Given they arent 75 a piece.. but still. I might go back to gas lights in the darned house if lightbulbs get any more expensive. Candles, torches.. flashlights.. something.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Boy am I glad you created this thread because I was just thinking this exact damn thing just the other day. I haven't bought the one's mentioned but when I moved into my house a few years back I replaced all standard (old) light bulbs with the new ones. The reasoning is the fact they last x amount of years (7 years I believe at x amount of usage per day) blah blah blah. Well I have replaced probably all but 2 or 3 of those bulbs within a 2-3 year time frame. I am what my wife calls me a cheapskate because I am very conscious on what I can do to save money efficiently. Also a few times I have bought these damn bulbs and at least one of the bulbs does not work in the first place. Pisses me right off.
edit on 10-12-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I know here im my home, i tried to go CFL. It is a disaster. I go through more CFL then i do incandescent.

IMHO they SUCK! i have never had so many bulb failures in such a short period of time. between the ballasts failing and the horrible craftsmanship of the glass, ill stick with my incandescent.

I stocked up on them at the dollar store. GE bulbs 4/1$ cant go wrong.

As far as CREE brand led lighting....when the price comes down ill give them a shot....78 a bulb is too much for me.....or most normal people.CREE

Back to regular bulbs for a moment. Are we talking about outlawing these normal cheap reliable bulbs?
Like an outright ban?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Home hardware now has them for like..20 or 30$.

Saw them there last week, bought 4

www.homehardware.ca... tjza/R-I3655350

10$ here for the 4 watt ones. 37 for a 20Watt Par38 Dimmable

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
CFL's give me migraines. I can't use them.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Exactly....we cant be trusted to do the right thing with OUR money!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Wasn't it John Cronyn, French Republican from Texas Who came up with this corporatist scam?

I wonder how much he has "invested" in these crappy light bulbs.

Might as well put a D for dumbass next to his name.

Texas, vote out the crony cornyn wannabe democrat.

Vote Steve stockman 2014

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
I know here im my home, i tried to go CFL. It is a disaster. I go through more CFL then i do incandescent.

IMHO they SUCK! i have never had so many bulb failures in such a short period of time. between the ballasts failing and the horrible craftsmanship of the glass, ill stick with my incandescent.

I stocked up on them at the dollar store. GE bulbs 4/1$ cant go wrong.

As far as CREE brand led lighting....when the price comes down ill give them a shot....78 a bulb is too much for me.....or most normal people.CREE

Back to regular bulbs for a moment. Are we talking about outlawing these normal cheap reliable bulbs?
Like an outright ban?

No joke.. if you bust a CFL on base theyll call in a person to clean up the "hazardous" material. Its like some big epa ordeal.. maybe we shouldnt have em if theyre so darned dangerous.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

You're right. Glenn Beck did a demonstration on TV..and I don't recall if it was Fox or CNN he did it for. Anyway, they had the filtered light and cleared set (cleared by professionals for Hazmat concerns, now that you mention it.) Then... (drum roll...) the light breaks...and ..damn..that stuff DOES go EVERYWHERE. All with fine mercury dust.

Oh golly..people fear lead? Lead is a yummy snack and good for us compared to mercury. This was as bad an idea as Obamacare..really...THAT bad IMO.

I'll enjoy making bank off the cases of lightbulbs I have tho. Thanks Uncle...I love an investment maturing 100x's over in profit. Couldn't have done it without ya!

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join