It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chico Ramirez came to town. [Dec2013]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I knew Chico Ramirez was coming to town and no-one had to tell me a thing. Being Sheriff in this two-bit town has taught me a thing or two.

First off, Dale Readingly and his dry-goods store was nailed shut. That ski-flint would snatch the pennies off the eyes of a corpse if he thought he could get away with it. There weren’t no way that he’d close his store up early. Hell, last year his middle daughter Elaine fell ill with the consumption and his store was still open, taking sympathy cash for all he could.
Then there was Sparky’s. That Irish blacksmith had orders a mile long and with a new baby on the way, he was working all he could, yet the bellows were silent, his fires cold.
The bank was still open as was the saloon. But people weren’t lingering in the late summer weather. They were practically running from one to the other. I suppose getting liquored up was the best defense to what was coming to town.

And it had to be Chico.

I rolled a cigarette slowly and took in the tiny town. I’d been sheriff here for five years. A life-time in my profession. I had friends in this town. People who’d nod politely, schoolmarms that’d bake me a nice pie on the holidays. But no-one I could count on in the up-coming fight. That, I’d have to do on my own. I walked slowly to the saloon, hoping to wet my whistle before the big fight. Drunk, sober, one of us would be dead before night fall. I stepped on the smoke and walked up the wooden stairs to the swinging doors, listening to the furtive talk going on inside.

It stopped as soon as I walked in.

I walked through the silent room, all eyes on me, but none that’d meet my gaze. I slid up to the bar and Jimmy, the one-legged barkeep came limping up (his wood leg keeping time to the grandfather clock along the wall) and pushed a bottle of scotch my way.
“Take it with ya’ Sheriff! On the house! No need to keep with the likes of us as you enjoy this fine libation.” Jimmy wiped the sweat off his growing forehead and smiled nervously.
I looked down, paused a moment to gather my thoughts, then looked back up at Jimmy, still smiling like he was negotiating with a scorpion. I uncorked the bottle, said, “I think I’ll just take a glass and sit a spell, Jimmy.” And slowly rolled another smoke.
The glasses underneath the bar rattled like teeth shivering in a northern wind as he pulled one up, it was clean this time, and left it on the bar in front of me. I didn’t smile. I didn’t say thank you. I just stared at him until he limped away. This time though, I couldn’t hear if it was keeping time with the clock because of the noise of the chairs moving across the wood floor. In just a few seconds, I was the only person in the saloon. All because Chico was coming to town.

Chico Ramirez was a lying, low-down, cheating snake. I take that back, I wouldn’t want to insult snakes. He lied and cheated his way into small towns all along the river until he came to my town. The minute he came into town I recognized him for what he was. He knew that I knew it too.
But he still tried.
I ended up sending him to the Territories’ prison for three years. It was trumped up charges, not enough to gather an investigation against me, but enough to convince the traveling judge that Chico was up to no good.
Now he was out. He held a grudge. I suppose at some point I should start worrying. But that would have to wait, I suppose. I heard a voice outside in the road.

Chico had come to town.

I slowly finished my drink, enjoying the burn of the scotch. It was actually quite good. Gonna hafta thank Jimmy for that later. I squared my hat, made sure my badge was showing, and placed my hand on the gun at my side. I half-spun on the bar stool and looked outside.
Chico was standing in the dust, staring back at the dim interior of the saloon. His hand was on his shooting iron. He was smiling. “Time to come out Sheriff. Time to meet your Maker, you lying black-hearted bastard.”
I waited. Didn’t say a thing.
He called out again. “You afraid of me, Sheriff? You afraid of the honest man you put in jail? You afraid of true justice?
I kept quiet. Didn’t move a muscle.
“You yeller? You gonna hide in some cheap dive hoping I go away? I ain’t goin’ nowhere, Sheriff. We gotta score to settle.” Chico stirred where he stood. Impatient. Hell, if I had waited three years to shoot a man, I’d a thought a little patience might have been learnt.

He suddenly broke loose from where he was standing and came charging up the steps.
I shot him before he got to the door. One through the heart. It stopped him cold. It wasn’t a fair fight. He was right. I had a habit of being a black-hearted bastard on occasion.
It came with the job.

I spun back around and decided to take the bottle with me after all. After rolling another smoke, I took the bottle and walked over Chico’s cooling corpse. I looked up at the rising moons of Tau Ceti and thought, “This has to be my favorite time of day.”
I walked on home into the growing dusk.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You had me at scotch! I have heard they make a fine single malt there on Tau Ceti.

Good job Beezer!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
That story had me visualizing a western-style shootout. I almost heard the twang in the characters voices as they spoke. A great short story but let me say that there should be more!

Excellent job beez!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Thank you. I was going for the western theme. Glad you liked it.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hehe, Space western... Nice! I like it! And it makes sense, if you think about it: The first colonizations on these stars will be left by themselves, mostly, just like in the far west - it's bound to make history repeat itself.

S&F!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Great Western story... I'm still asking myself if we really could have parallel worlds out there ,like or maybe abducted people from that time period placed on another planet looking if evolution would be the same on that other planet like tau ceti . Then they could be on the same level or extinct or higher then we are..?

Great story inspiring. ..

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Exactly. It's my first time writing a western-style story. Thought I'd have fun with it.

Thanks for reading!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Thank you. I've always thought that aliens had to evolve as well. Why not have alien-style westerns?
(I almost gave the characters tails, then changed my mind)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

SnF ..I enjoyed that.

I had to laugh when it got to the part of the bar keep being named jimmy.. Me and my boy have been calling each other jimmy here lately...
We just put on our best 'mobster' accents and say 'hey jimmy, couldya cut me some slack here' .. ...Hah.. Silly times and good story.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Thank you! Glad you liked it.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I loved it. I loved the humour and ruthlessness, very entertaining.

It had me thinking about the 200,000 that have applied to live on Mars.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Tarnation, that was a good yarn!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. It was fun to write.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

(laughing)

My first "western". It was fun!

Thanks for reading it.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I spy a Cheater! Liar and Swindler! Hang 'em high I say!

You've been watching "Dr. Who" haven't you? C'mon you varmit! Fess up!

But it was a good story...for a pilgrim.

I'm trying to pen something along the Douglas Adams line of thought. That's gonna be hard for this kid.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I hadn't thought about that, but that was a good episode!

Douglas Adams is impressive! I look forward to it!

Thanks for reading mine tho. . .

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

beezzer

I hadn't thought about that, but that was a good episode!

Douglas Adams is impressive! I look forward to it!

Thanks for reading mine tho. . .

Everything we see implants a little worm of thought. I think that's pretty cool.

Just being a happy asshole.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

All good!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
That was fun, Beezer.

Well done. You waited until the last possible moment to tell it was sci-fi. Cool.

P

top topics

<<   2 >>

join