It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats and Republicans do a Conservative/Liberal Flip Flop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I remember back in 1996 the Republicans won back Congress by preaching fiscal responsibility. But now they are acting like tax and spend democrats minus the tax. They are spending more than ever yet taxing less.

It seems the democrats are now lecturing the republicans on fiscal responsiblity with John Kerry in the forefront.

In his first remarks on the Senate floor since his presidential bid ended in defeat two weeks ago, Kerry, D-Mass., said his former opponent had presided over "the worst fiscal turnaround in our nation's entire history."

He was referring to the change from the $5.6 trillion in surpluses that were projected for the next 10 years when Bush took office in 2001, to the $2.3 trillion in deficits now estimated for the coming decade.

"This can be called a birth tax, a birth tax that is dumped on the back of every American child unwillingly," said Kerry, who voted against the increase.

I agree with Kerry on this one.
We may be seeing the beginnings of the republicans turning liberal and the democrats turning Conservative.

www.dailybreeze.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Actually, I think that the democrats will not become conservatives. Unfortunately, they have brought in as many entitlement people as they could along the way.

But also rights stretchers like pro gay marriage, pro choice, etc. (not an accusation, just an observation). I think that there is no way for them to back off and maintain their votes. Otherwise they'll get swamped in the ballot box.

It'll be damage control central trying to keep the votes they do get (not like they are down and out at all though).

The Republicans have gone way off base, and their financial politics are changed with no hope of return.

I honestly do believe that two parties are not enough to sustain even 110 million, let alone the growing population forever. Other parties will come into the fray, so to speak.

I hope the Libertarians come in as the new Republicans.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The only thing I can say is that if Bush had pushed half of this through before the election he would not have been re-elected. He is royally ticking off his conservative base.

I can't speak for everyone but I am looking for the conservative candidates so if the republicans don't fit that bill I will look elesewhere.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Your contention seems to be correct. I am a life-long Republican (tho many here claim I couldn't possibly be.
) and I am appalled by what I see the GOP and this administration doing to our country. It's mind-boggling. The hypocrisy (as you mentioned Repubs in 90's) is staggering!

I am also getting more open minded as I get older. If that makes me liberal, then so be it. There is no shame in being liberal or conservative. they both have strengths as well as weaknesses. Truly, I consider myself to be Christian, American and progressive. Screw the Republicrats and their confines!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
They are spending more than ever yet taxing less.

Yeah, they're are taxing less on the rich when they don't need it. The middle class are the one's who need the tax cuts the most and they're not getting it. I'm in the middle class and I haven't gotten anything since Bush took office and I've put in alot as far as taxes are concerned.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's only getting worse. And we the people are getting taxed in every conceivable way. Inflation - something you won't hear about in mindless mainstream press - is rampant. Wages are not keeping up with it. That's pulling people downward towards poverty. Bush's policies are dangerous and unconscionable.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
It's only getting worse. And we the people are getting taxed in every conceivable way.

I know.
Come to think of it I can't think of anything we don't get taxed on. Can you? I mean seriously, how much money does the government need? I think we get taxed way too much.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
The only thing I can say is that if Bush had pushed half of this through before the election he would not have been re-elected.

Maybe not as soon as I would like, but it will be vetted some day.....you're looking at a president who has never actually won either of his two terms. There are threads a plently here, so I won't start the highjacking of this one in that direction.
After starting the decimation of a huge surplus in his first year, Team Bush has lead to the raising of the debt ceiling for the third consecutive year.
Anyone not enraptured with Jesus or lusting to lynch homos saw that as clear as day & ran to Kerry.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder

It's only getting worse. And we the people are getting taxed in every conceivable way.

I know.
Come to think of it I can't think of anything we don't get taxed on. Can you? I mean seriously, how much money does the government need? I think we get taxed way too much.

Alot of that stems from the fact that our state governments are broke, too. The government has cut funds to the states and the states have to make it up somehow. So they tack on a tax here, a tax there, and on and on. And fuel prices keep going up. Let's not forget about that! I now pay twice as much to fill my tank as I did when I got my truck. It's crazy.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

After starting the decimation of a huge surplus in his first year, Team Bush has lead to the raising of the debt ceiling for the third consecutive year.
Anyone not enraptured with Jesus or lusting to lynch homos saw that as clear as day & ran to Kerry.

Kerry was the more conservative of the two. Whooda thunk it?

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It's only getting worse. And we the people are getting taxed in every conceivable way. Inflation - something you won't hear about in mindless mainstream press - is rampant. Wages are not keeping up with it. That's pulling people downward towards poverty. Bush's policies are dangerous and unconscionable.

I have to disagree with your assessment of inflation. It is not exactly rampant (sorry for the formatting):

Current Inflation Rate
Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Ave
2004 1.93% 1.69% 1.74% 2.29% 3.05% 3.27% 2.99% 2.65% 2.54% 3.19%
2003 2.60% 2.98% 3.02% 2.22% 2.06% 2.11% 2.11% 2.16% 2.32% 2.04% 1.77% 1.88% 2.27%
2002 1.14% 1.14% 1.48% 1.64% 1.18% 1.07% 1.46% 1.80% 1.51% 2.03% 2.20% 2.38% 1.59%
2001 3.73% 3.53% 2.92% 3.27% 3.62% 3.25% 2.72% 2.72% 2.65% 2.13% 1.90% 1.55% 2.83%
2000 2.74% 3.22% 3.76% 3.07% 3.19% 3.73% 3.66% 3.41% 3.45% 3.45% 3.45% 3.39% 3.38%

Inflation

Also, I heard today that Kerry promised to propose a bill to provide health insurance for every child in America, on his first day back in the Senate. He will bypass the traditional process of looking for co-sponsors, and will instead use a petition signed by the American public.

This is why on the first day Congress is in session next year, I will introduce a bill to provide every child in America with health insurance. And, with your help, that legislation will be accompanied by the support of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Kerry
Not exactly a bad idea, as far as entitlement programs go, but it sort of nixes the idea that Democrats are becoming conservative.

top topics

join