It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 people apply to live on Mars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

0bserver1
reply to post by JadeStar

The lander will be based on the successful NASA Phoenix mission,

That's funny ,did they not repeated attempts to contact the spacecraft and never heard of it again?

Yes and no. Yes communication was lost but no that was not a failure because it happened after it exceeded its projected lifetime. So that communications loss was always expected. It was only designed to operate for 90 days and exceeded that mission so it was successful.

Did you bother checking Wikipedia or NASA site on the Phoenix mission?

The primary mission was anticipated to last 90 sols (Martian days) – just over 92 Earth days. However, the craft exceeded its expected operational lifetime[5] by a little over two months before succumbing to the increasing cold and dark of an advancing Martian winter.[3] Researchers had hoped that the lander would survive into the Martian winter so that it could witness polar ice developing around it – perhaps up to 1 metre of solid carbon dioxide ice could have appeared. Even had it survived some of the winter, the intense cold would have prevented it from lasting all the way through.

edit on 11-12-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

DataWraith
Nut or not, I'd sign up except I'm in my 40's and probably not an ideal candidate

Actually you're right in the age group they're looking for.

=

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The human body evolved on earth. Everything about it, it's weight, its metabolic processes, it's very conscious experience, corresponds with a specific earth environment

Living on Mars is simply unfeasible. The massive change in conditions would have dangerous effects on bodily, emotional and cognitive processes.

If you didn't die, you'd certainly lose your emotional bearings.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Astrocyte

The human body evolved on earth. Everything about it, it's weight, its metabolic processes, it's very conscious experience, corresponds with a specific earth environment

Living on Mars is simply unfeasible. The massive change in conditions would have dangerous effects on bodily, emotional and cognitive processes.

If you didn't die, you'd certainly lose your emotional bearings.

People live at the bottom of the ocean for several months because see those modules? They take an earth environment with them in side.

No one is suggesting people would live exposed to the Martian atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
DOOM 3 infrastructure anyone? Count me in DOOM 4.
I think the only chance would be a space lift capable of building a huge spaceship with enough material which would then build a similar space lift on Mars. Funny that we could colonize planets like insect with spider like filaments.
Let's hope there are no insect exterminators up there.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Either that or start launching supplies in small multiple crafts ahead of us Oomans landing there. That way when we Oomans arrive there will be stuff for us to do stuff with and eat.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Ok, I think this Mars One stuff is indescribably cool. If I wasn't such a weak minded individual with extreme attachment to fresh air, food, and my family I would sign up without a second thought. However, does anyone else think this sounds too good to be true? Do we really think the gate keepers are going to allow regular citizens to just peace-out to Mars? I have a very hard time believing the governors of our race will allow us to see or do anything they don't want us to see or do.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Malynn
Ok, I think this Mars One stuff is indescribably cool. If I wasn't such a weak minded individual with extreme attachment to fresh air, food, and my family I would sign up without a second thought. However, does anyone else think this sounds too good to be true? Do we really think the gate keepers are going to allow regular citizens to just peace-out to Mars? I have a very hard time believing the governors of our race will allow us to see or do anything they don't want us to see or do.

An excellent point.

What concerns me the most is how the whole project is intended to be broadcast on TV, like a reality TV show, for entertainment, yet involves a very serious one-way trip with only one possible outcome: death of the participants.

If you consider very carefully the initial environment they are intending to survive in (survive, not live), even if the initial part is a success (landing and getting the initial "base" sorted out), I wouldn't give them 6 weeks. Just consider the food problem. Think how long it takes to grow vegetables in a vegetable patch for example. You need a large growing area to get anything decent for long-term living. They simply aren't going to have the resources to survive.

Remember the Biosphere 2 experiment? en.wikipedia.org...

Imagine this... but on a TINY scale. Not going to work without REGULAR supplies from Earth as support. You can forget self-sufficiency!
edit on 13-12-2013 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
i signed up and i am waiting ... hopefully I'll be lucky to go there ... anyway i don't have anything on earth loool...
edit on 13-12-2013 by simo002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Duh.

But they don't live in those modules indefinitely. From time to time they come to the surface to reexperience natural living conditions for human beings.

Look what the conditions of inner space can do the body and mind of an astronaut: and they're up there for 6 months, not years, as a mars mission would require.

Just food for thought. Not to "shoot down" any ideas, just to point out the sheer complexity of even managing to exactly recreate earth conditions on a planet as disparate from ours as Mars.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Heres what i have been "told"...

This is not to create another EARTH.
So put that aside.

They are sending ppl there to create their OWN existance.
To MAKE their own future.

When the mission is on there will be 2 more sent
every second year.

Now thats a "cool" idea.

I might have planned it a bit diffrently. But thats me.

1: MORE ppl.. 8 maybe 16 on the first go.
2: ONLY singles, no cpls. Divided by the sexes. MAN and WOMAN
NO, not transgender or the likes. This is not a fieldtrip.
3: First 4 missions, Max age 18
4: As tech advances, more and more things and missions
maybe even boost the periodic missions to EVERY year.

edit on 2013/12/14 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Miccey
Heres what i have been "told"...

This is not to create another EARTH.
So put that aside.

They are sending ppl there to create their OWN existance.
To MAKE their own future.

When the mission is on there will be 2 more sent
every second year.

Now thats a "cool" idea.

I might have planned it a bit diffrently. But thats me.

1: MORE ppl.. 8 maybe 16 on the first go.
2: ONLY singles, no cpls. Divided by the sexes. MAN and WOMAN
NO, not transgender or the likes. This is not a fieldtrip.
3: First 4 missions, Max age 18
4: As tech advances, more and more things and missions
maybe even boost the periodic missions to EVERY year.

edit on 2013/12/14 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

Too many rules would have equalled less people signing up and less diversity of population (which can not be underestimated as a survival factor)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Astrocyte

Duh.

But they don't live in those modules indefinitely. From time to time they come to the surface to reexperience natural living conditions for human beings.

Look what the conditions of inner space can do the body and mind of an astronaut: and they're up there for 6 months, not years, as a mars mission would require.

Just food for thought. Not to "shoot down" any ideas, just to point out the sheer complexity of even managing to exactly recreate earth conditions on a planet as disparate from ours as Mars.

The conditions do not need to be exactly the same. People live in Antartica year round, for years.

Comparing microgravity to living on a planet with gravity is an apples to oranges comparison.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Like i said Jade..It me..

I would do it diffrently, there are rules in M.O´s mission
as well. Maybe not up front. Has anyone seen or heard
on HOW the electionprosses is done?
I bet there are tons of stuff that they will look on
that we cant think of.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

mirageofdeceit

Malynn

An excellent point.

What concerns me the most is how the whole project is intended to be broadcast on TV, like a reality TV show, for entertainment, yet involves a very serious one-way trip with only one possible outcome: death of the participants.

I wouldn't say that's the only possible outcome. The other possible outcome is they land safely and establish a permanent human presence elsewhere in the solar system. That's what the people on board with project are banking on.

Death in space would make this whole thing grind to a halt and make it much less likely Mars Two gets off the ground.

If you consider very carefully the initial environment they are intending to survive in (survive, not live), even if the initial part is a success (landing and getting the initial "base" sorted out), I wouldn't give them 6 weeks.

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try. At this stage the odds look somewhat against them but they were really against the Apollo astronauts and those missions succeeded.

Just consider the food problem. Think how long it takes to grow vegetables in a vegetable patch for example.

Good thing they're only going to be growing algae to eat then, right?

Have you actually looked at plan on Mars One's site? Or are you assuming things would be done as they are done on Earth, just 'cause?

You need a large growing area to get anything decent for long-term living.

Somehow having a whole planet seems like a lot of space to me, but maybe I'm just weird.

They simply aren't going to have the resources to survive.

Why not? There will be supplies pre-positioned there before they ever arrive and more supplies and people joining them every 2 years or so if it all goes to plan.

Remember the Biosphere 2 experiment? en.wikipedia.org...

Imagine this... but on a TINY scale. Not going to work without REGULAR supplies from Earth as support. You can forget self-sufficiency!
edit on 13-12-2013 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

Apples to oranges comparison again. Biosphere 2 has as much to do with Mars One as riding a rollercaster does to piloting a rocket.

The only applicable part to the Mars One mission is the psychological study of the Biosphere participants.

That would be my biggest concern for the crew.

Space might not kill them.

Mars might not either.

But they might kill each other if they are not fully prepared to spend the rest of their lives together in a trailer park which you can't easily just storm off from on a whim.

In essence this is a marriage to every person on the crew whose urine you will be drinking as recycled fresh water every few days or so. Its a level of intimacy you don't get on all but the longest duration ISS missions.

I am not saying this to bring gloom and doom on the project, just to point out that crew selection will probably be the single most important thing on these missions. Having the right balance of people who are both mentally tough, compassionate, able to think fast on their feet in an ever changing situation and not prone to conspiracy, jealousy, etc will be paramount.

In short, the best reality TV cast would make the WORST Mars One crew.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

200,000 people apply to live on Mars

This is really quite a unique opportunity, should it all play out as it is being offered. This could be like the first colonies in North America; the New World... except, there are critical differences.

For one, the colonists of old could walk outside, plant a garden, go hunting, chop wood for fire, for construction, for ships... etc.
On Mars, you can't just go outside, you can't just plant a garden and there are no natural resources... except maybe for water, to fall back on.

If you need to repair your house or your greenhouse or your ship, chances are you will be entirely reliant on supplies from Earth. Just as we see with the ISS right now, a major breakdown in systems puts the whole affair in a degree of crisis. Luckily for the space station, their supply store is just down the road. On Mars? It is months away and considering the time it takes to get a mission together... well, that ain't pretty.

I absolutely love the idea of a Mars colony... I just think it will take a lot more time to get it established than this current civilization on Earth has left before it resets itself to the dark ages. From there, it is just a matter of time before everything breaks down and they - the colonists - become something the next civilization sees from an orbiter that then makes everyone wonder... was there something down there once, a long, long time ago?

edit on 14-12-2013 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Anyways, It would be interesting to see what kind of effects mars atmospheric conditions would have on the human body and mind (the mind is regulated by the body).

Before this ever happens were gonna have human astronauts staying on mars. We'll see whats required so that maybe, hundreds of years from now, we can maintain a "colony" on Mars.

i didn't mean to say it was categorically impossible. However, it would be intensely undesirable to live on the red planet.

Just think of how squalid Mars seemed in Total Recall. Unless a simulated Earth climate could recreate every imaginable earth-life detail on Mars, I wouldn't want to live there. It would be depressing and I would long for my home, Earth.

Though just thinking about this has got me thinking how they could simulate earths atmosphere on another planet. A dome would obviously be required to fend you from the harsh Mars climate and very different gaseous environment. That would need to be recreated within the dome. But also, the reddish atmosphere could be "filtered" using some sort of computerized nano-technology. The sky would then be earth like (bluish).

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I just think it will take a lot more time to get it established than this current civilization on Earth has left before it resets itself to the dark ages

Thats a very healthy way to think.

Geeze. If were ever gonna realize these dreams, that means we have to become more AWARE of ourselves and each other. Do you want that? I certainly don't.

And it's not about being realistic either. Ghandi said it all when he said "be the change you want to see". Humans beings are embodied and relational creatures. When were not embodied - happy, and at ease - were not good at relating with one another. When were not relating well to each other - being kind, sensitive and attuned to each others emotional states - we don't feel very embodied i.e. were stressed.

So be the change you want to see. I would like one day for mankind to explore the universe. I believe that day will one day come. But before that day comes, mankind has a lot of spiritual work to do.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think that sending only 4 people is a mistake. It is like getting
into the stock market with the only $1000.00 you were able to save.
Chances are you will lose before you gain and I.dont see volunteers
lining uo 4 at a time to possibly die like their predecessors.

The first crew of 4 WILL die. You need 100 or more to go with multuple
plans for settlement. Some will die trying to live. But those that
live will give hope to those that otherwise would be expecting to
die.

Go big or go home. We are not exploring the arctic where it is
difficult to understand how it CAN'T be done. This is something
that would be difficult to imagine that it can be done.

Hit that red rock with everything we got or don't bother. This isn't
a game. Yet it sounds like someone watched "Mission to Mars' 15
years ago and figured it could be done. Foolishness in my books.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join