It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 people apply to live on Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
200,000 people apply to live on Mars

(CNN) -- If you have ambitions of being one of the first people on Mars, listen up: A Dutch company says it is moving along with its plan to send four lucky Earthlings to colonize the Red Planet. The catch: They won't ever come back.

The Mars One foundation announced Tuesday that it has secured lead suppliers for an unmanned mission launching in 2018, which involves a robotic lander and a communications satellite. Lockheed Martin has been contracted to study building the lander, and Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd. will develop a concept study for the satellite, Mars One said.

This first mission will demonstrate technology that would be involved in a permanent human settlement on Mars. If all goes well -- and that's still very much an "if" -- the first pioneers could land on Mars in 2025.

Enthusiasm has been growing since the project's first big announcement in April. More than 200,000 people have signed up to be prospective astronauts, Mars One CEO Bas Lansdorp said in Washington on Tuesday.

The application period is now closed

Okay, why weren't we informed of this earlier? I didn't get the Memo! Did any of you? Somebody dropped the ball. I wanna go

It's not like I'd really hold my breath to be chosen besides, when the SHTF I wouldn't want to be on board rubbing elbows with the elites. It's bad enough down here living on the same Continent with them sometimes.

Sheeesh!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
well I was.. and many were as well as you can see... however there are a few things that remain to be seen.. one is the amount of radioenergy absorbed by the crew during the travel...

Don't get me wrong my obsession over Mars begun when I was 4-5 years old.. I was trying to gather some pictures from newspapers and was looking them for hours (I was born in 81 no internet back then).

The thing is I don't know how serious those Mars One people are...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Thats the problem, I would go work on mars for a couple of years but I would always want to be able to come back.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
they should send the entire British government and all their cronies their and let them survive on rice and beans. good enough for them with their second homes and astranomical wages plus another rise for them. maybe they would like it

saw this advert a while ago in the news though....

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yea I heard about that, and it is more then applied for Obama care

I don't think I would want to go , I have one question, do they recycle the air?

I am thinking they know more about Mars then they are telling us.
edit on 033131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I keep thinking that Mars could be the next best hope for people trying to escape from the oppression here on earth like the N. and S. America used to be. Go to Mars and hope it takes centuries before it becomes civilized enough for the parasite class to want to bother us.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I thought there was a thread on here, a while ago, about a company that was also sending people, but they couldn't come back?

I would guess Arken would be all over finding an application!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

crazyewok
Thats the problem, I would go work on mars for a couple of years but I would always want to be able to come back.

I'd go.

Don't get me wrong, I'd miss close family and loved ones but I'd still go. Could you imagine how clear and vast the night sky would look?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The picture looks inviting
I have always dreamt of spending my life living in a portable toilet and this looks so much like home ,without the relentless heat and flies.
edit on 10-12-2013 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Where did they find two hundred thousand people who would be crazy enough to want to go? I guess there are a lot of insane people. Oh sorry OP, I didn't mean you were a raging nut, you are excluded from my statement...(but not my thoughts).

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well see this is why I don't have a problem with the ancient astronaut theories, we may be stranded, or maybe we are going home.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I thought they resembled porta pottys myself.
Martian Porta pottys are special though so you know they're heated

edit on 10-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

And miss all the Friends reruns?
No way!

I read about this a couple of months ago, and to be honest even if I had no family, no friends, no life here, and decided to go , it would pretty much be a suicide mission IMO.

I really doubt the first people who travel to Mars will have smooth sailing once they arrive.

You know they say practice makes perfect. It might take a couple of trips to Mars for them to work out all the errors/problems/malfunctions that arise once they settle down. (I'm thinking air supply for instance.)

I would not want to be part of the first group that has to live there that's for sure.
edit on 10/12/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I don't think I could do it. Imagine never being able to go outside without the aid of a spacesuit for the rest of your life. I'd go insane.

I think if a Colony were established there should be some kind of indoor greenhouse/park that would be made to look as Earth-like as possible for people to go.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ill just stay here on Earth... but I WOULD apply for and pay for our entire federal government to go. You know.. rule us from their comfortable martian mansions on Mars.

THEN NUKE IT (Mars) FROM SPACE!!

( Sorry, watched Aliens last weekend....)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I thought about applying back when.

The wife would have wanted to stop and shop along the way though. And she wanted to bring the cats.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Advantage
Ill just stay here on Earth... but I WOULD apply for and pay for our entire federal government to go. You know.. rule us from their comfortable martian mansions on Mars.

THEN NUKE IT (Mars) FROM SPACE!!

( Sorry, watched Aliens last weekend....)

It's safer that way.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
Well see this is why I don't have a problem with the ancient astronaut theories, we may be stranded, or maybe we are going home.

www.universetoday.com...

Only men came from Mars....You gals are from Venus.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

ketsuko
I keep thinking that Mars could be the next best hope for people trying to escape from the oppression here on earth like the N. and S. America used to be. Go to Mars and hope it takes centuries before it becomes civilized enough for the parasite class to want to bother us.

I'd like to think that to, and if it were the case, I'd probably be on board with my entire family if I could convince them to come with me. But, if Mars is colonised it will most likely be controlled by TPTB from the start, so there would be practically no point.

Think about it... millions of miles away, on another otherwise uninhabited planet. Just a small colony that will probably still be dependent on supplies from Earth. The people get unruly, just put them down and start all over again.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
yip, and i was one of them..... i'm not the best of the best of the best...i'm just guessing there will be a lot of last minute call offs...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join