It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't research Terroistic Events or you will get PTSD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here is the media saying "don't look too into terroristic events, as you will get PTSD! Actually I believe this one. But when someone who's already sketchy "the media" tells you to do something, my first question is why? How soon until someone tries to pass something blacklisting topics from the media in fear it could harm you watching / reading the information?

Post-traumatic stress disorder has been on psychiatry's books for just 23 years, and before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, no one ever entertained the possibility that watching disturbing images of trauma on TV could give rise to the disorder.
[url=http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-media-coverage-trauma-stress-20131209,0,5260119.story#axzz2n6ZWytqb]LaTimes[/u rl]

I do believe the media's sketchiness is mostly due to incompetence over evilness. Figured this was still a fun topic at the least

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

I think there is a major difference between having your friends and colleagues blown to pieces right next to you and having bullets flying past your head, when compared to watching images on a tv or computer, especially in this age of movies like "Hostel" and "Final Destination". Not to mention beheadings on effing youtube.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

I think you'll find that most people with PTSD will find it not only a joke, but a bit insulting, given what they went through to cause PTSD.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

calstorm

I think you'll find that most people with PTSD will find it not only a joke, but a bit insulting, given what they went through to cause PTSD.

Exactly, I worked with a guy that was in Iraq and Afghanistan, he was blown up. He was lucky, he kept all his limbs, but he suffered PTSD as a result.
Not the most comedic of subjects, but the newspaper saying that watching these events can cause ptsd, thats something else. If not funny, its actually quite disgusting to equate the two.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Releasing the results of these kind of studies in tons of major publications is like the media saying "trust us, and don't look too into it, because you'll screw your brain up". Ofcourse they are just trying to help us.

Look at where I have found this report as well.
Va's Website

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

The authors acknowledged their findings do not demonstrate a cause-and-effect relationship between intensive consumption of media coverage of a trauma and PTSD.

Source

In other news, do passing drama llamas cause head aches?

We can't demonstrate a cause and effect relationship between llamas and head aches, but those who watch the most llama related media tend to have symptoms.

It doesn't surprise me at all that people who watched a lot of September 9/11 footage report higher amounts of anxiety and other PTSD related symptoms. Many of them may have known people near or in the area, many could have pre-existing experiences encouraging them to be involved etc ...

The happy go lucky demographic don't normally sit down for a cosy night in of learning about terrorist attacks.

Plus:

The heavy sampling of New Yorkers allowed researchers to test what impact exposure to a past community trauma would have on media consumers of Boston bombing coverage.

Source

Sometimes I think media outlets should be banned from communicating with psychology and psychiatry researchers until they complete a twelve part exam and agree not to abuse the privilege on slow news days. >.<

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It is not PTSD people develop from the negative media they watch, it is what I call GTSD. It is something I have observed about people and the media available to them now. Believe it or not, watching and rewatching tragic events can cause something like PTSD.

I wrote a rant on it a long time ago just kind of spilling my thoughts about what I am seeing happen:

GTSD:Global Traumatic Stress Disorder.

So I personally agree that it can happen, and this it is happening;
But that is just my opinion.

top topics

join