Texas Republicans Find A Way To Disenfranchise Women Voters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...

Think Progress reports that as of November 5, Texans must show a photo ID with their up-to-date legal name. It sounds like such a small thing, but according to the Brennan Center for Justice, only 66% of voting age women have ready access to a photo document that will attest to proof of citizenship. This is largely because young women have not updated their documents with their married names, a circumstance that doesn’t affect male voters in any significant way. Suddenly 34% of women voters are scrambling for an acceptable ID, while 99% of men are home free.

I could be wrong but I don't think the courts will let this type of BS stand.

www.glamour.com...
edit on 10-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

And there are still women in America who consider themselves Republicans? A woman saying she's a Republican in Texas is like a cut flower admiring the bouquet.
edit on 10-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Please don't make a big deal about nothing ... because

When you register to vote in Texas, you must show some ID. If they have a Driver's License ( even with their prior last name ) that's how they will be listed to vote.

i.e. ... the names will match.

Also, that 34% sounds LOW for ladies not updating their Texas Driver's License ... most are more responsible than what's being let on here.

All of the Voter ID Requirements for Texas are to prevent FRAUD ... and/or the votes counted are TRUE VOTES.

Sentiment: This sounds to me like a ... PROPAGANDA.
edit on 10-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: Added the "34% shounds LOW".

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Don't know about Texas...

But some areas might require that same kind of up to date ID for doctor visits and prescriptions ?

Insurance companies get real touchy about the 'wrong' people using insurance cards.

Not to mention other things.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I'm sure many women in Texas are proud to be Republicans and support this bill. You know why? Because they are sick of having Democrats steal elections with voter fraud. And let's be honest, if everything is legit it isn't hard to update your driver's license. It happens every day in every state.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Tempest in a teapot.

It will only affect conservative women, the ones who still, in this day and age, insist on taking their husband's surname. Professional women won't be impacted, nor will most gay and lesbian couples. This doesn't affect any true progressives.

Funny how the name change on ID was never an issue when it "made it harder" for women to enroll in college or get credit in their own names, but now it's suddenly a republican plot.

Republicans caused that Ice Storm as well; because they're, you know .... frigid.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Because it is so hard to change your name ...

I remember the travails of doing mine when I got married. It was such a difficulty.

Oh, wait, it wasn't.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

jjkenobi

I'm sure many women in Texas are proud to be Republicans and support this bill. You know why? Because they are sick of having Democrats steal elections with voter fraud. And let's be honest, if everything is legit it isn't hard to update your driver's license. It happens every day in every state.

Stealing what elections? What voter fraud? All scripted fear mongering! Brought to you by AM radio and fox news!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wimin!

*snort*

Amirite?

Huh guys, amirite?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

LDragonFire

jjkenobi

Stealing what elections? What voter fraud? All scripted fear mongering! Brought to you by AM radio and fox news!

Shyah, I should just be able to waltz into any voting place. Tell them I'm Margaret Thatcher and demand to vote 10 or 20 times! Who are they to disenfranchise me?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
so wait are they trying to say its some how harder for american women to possess id cards? or is this all about how some women change their maiden names when they get maried or somethign i checked out the link and it was far from clear but im not quite sure this qualifies as an attack on women

and has not been having your legal name on your id been a requirement for a good deal of years ? a friend of mine got married about 8 months ago and they would not let her fly with her passport out of sfo as it was not her current name and that was trying to leave california so it seems that this might be more common then the article is letting on

travel.state.gov... seems its a federal requiremnet for your pass port to be updated and to show proof of name change and original documents and seems to have been a policy for some time is this not the same as the texas law but on a state level instead of federal?

travel.state.gov...

www.uic.edu... seems this kind of thing has been going on since 1971 this is relevant to Illinois for example but i would assume it would be simaler in other states as well

As a result of the ambiguity in current Illinois law, a married woman who chooses to retain her maiden name may face inconvenience and possibly serious legal consequences. For example, a woman who fails to change her voter registration after marriage loses her right to vote. A woman is technically in violation of state law if she fails to notify the Secretary of State of a name change on her driver's license after she is married. In Illinois it is unlawful to conduct any business under a name other than one's legal name without filing a notice in the newspaper for three consecutive weeks. If you don't follow these procedures you can be fined or imprisoned. Married women using their maiden name may be denied contract or other rights or absolved of legal responsibility.

www.motherjones.com... older link from mother jones that shows other states that have similar laws so not just texas on this,but figured it was relevent to your op even if i doubt the source personally

and at 20 bucks if you know you might need to update your drivers license at least its not expensive and with proper planning before voting begins i think most people can avoid this problem all together by having up to date id and whatnot

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I dont see the problem with ID's for voteing? I mean surely it helps prevent fraud? Insures one vote for one person? No illegals? ect?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Thank You for making ... Sensible Remarks.

In the past, folks were found voting in more than one Texas County ... PLUS ... a lot of DEAD-FOLKS were discovered to be Voting.

Talk about a ... "Head Scratch'r"

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You would think that, and sadly, most of the rest of world is far ahead of the US on this. We have voter ID cards or we can use proof of address.

However, every time someone tries to institute ID laws, people scream about how we're trying to disenfranchise people and being racist. Nevermind that you can get free state ID cards and everything, everything from every welfare service on up requires an ID, we just can't expect people to show a state issued ID to be able to vote.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

FarleyWayne

Thank You for making ... Sensible Remarks.

In the past, folks were found voting in more than one Texas County ... PLUS ... a lot of DEAD-FOLKS were discovered to be Voting.

Talk about a ... "Head Scratch'r"

Im not American so I dont know the details of this. But Im curious on why there is resistance to something that will prevent abuse of the voteing system? If there is something im missing fair enough.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

It smell off to me. Like someone WANTS fraud.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Voter fraud is what you're missing.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

ketsuko

LDragonFire

jjkenobi

Shyah, I should just be able to waltz into any voting place. Tell them I'm Margaret Thatcher and demand to vote 10 or 20 times! Who are they to disenfranchise me?

Can you prove what you say? Or is it just talking points?

Can you show us voter fraud convictions in Texas?
edit on 10-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

You're NOT not really LOSING your MIND.

The last time Texas was Democrat was back in Johnson's day ( middle 1960s ). But Democrats back then weren't "Progressives"; which is what I think the Democrats SHOULD be called today ... ( i.e. a radical change! ).

In My Honest Opinion ... I haven't witnessed so much PROPAGANDA, LIES and FRAUD prior to this EXACT-MOMENT; ( and this is how I must lable it ).

THANK YOU ... ( for asking ).

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Make sure you liberals prove who you are when signing up for Obamacare.
And show your ID when you visit the doctor or when you pick up your prescription.

No voter fraud?
how about the lady in Ohio voted six times for Obama and was convicted of voter fraud?

There's never any real documentation of voter fraud, because the election is over, and nobody really cares. What are they going to go back and overturn the election?

What a liberal rag of an organization "think progress" is.
They should just call themselves "don't think, regress".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join