It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY must everything happen in two's with me??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Damnit, if life would just make up its mind and quit messing around.

Ok, what's going on here you're probably thinking. Long story short- self-employed contractor, no work lately, dirt broke. Give up, look for a job working for someone else for 1/4 of what I would make on my own. Get a phone call to set up an interview, weekend passes no interview date, two more days pass still no interview, get a phone call from a general contractor requiring my services. Give estimate and was told I will be his go-to-guy from now on for what I do, get a phone call for the job interview. I didn't answer. Now no phone call for that estimate I just did.

WTF? And this happens EVERY TIME for pretty much everything in my life.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Which is our gain! You have more time to spend on ATS!

And on that note, on the more serious side, maybe you can make some threads on general contracting hints, things we don't know about that contractors do or get away with, and how to do simple repairs ourselves. I know there is lots of that data available, but personal experience has given you a take on some things which probably none of us have heard about.

That said, I wish you luck and good sailing from here on out.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You should have been more careful and set-up a rendez-vous date for the interview anyways. Heck, maybe they pretended to be another contractor, and called you with a bogus offer to see how you would react?

I hope for you its not the case, and that the contractor evidently call you. :/

-----

Now, if everything that happens to you goes by 2, go out and flirt! Unless you can't stand the idea of having 2 discussions at the same time after sex.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Nope, it's legit
So now the other contractor called and needs to meet at 1. The interview is on hold until I know a start date for the job and once again I'm thrust in the middle of two opposing directions. To remain self-employed or to become a slave to the man...again ugh.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Well hurry now and go meet the contractor! Why are you still logged?

As we say on the East Coast; Merde!, for your meeting with the contractor.

And don't say thanks.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

FlySolo

Nope, it's legit
So now the other contractor called and needs to meet at 1. The interview is on hold until I know a start date for the job and once again I'm thrust in the middle of two opposing directions. To remain self-employed or to become a slave to the man...again ugh.

There is a reason for sayings like Fortune favors the bold.

But sometimes the bold choice is admitting failure at one en-devour and recognizing it for what it is, but perhaps its not as all or nothing as you think?

Why not try a little of both, work for the "man" while on free time pursuing your independent career?

If not through actual labor perhaps in business and marketing courses to help the next attempt at independence?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

It's decision time! Been there, done that.

And you will always wonder if going the other way would have been the better choice...unless your contracting takes off again.

Good Luck!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

ha he just called and made it for 5:30, so now I called the interview and made the meeting for Thursday. Might be able to pull both off just as long as the customer doesn't dilly dally.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

But sometimes the bold choice is admitting failure at one en-devour and recognizing it for what it is,

ah ha! But isn't that exactly what happens? As soon as you give up, then that's when life hands you another opportunity. Thee ole proverbial carrot on a string.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Sorry i can't help.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Sorry i can't help.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Weird Weird

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

FlySolo
reply to post by benrl

But sometimes the bold choice is admitting failure at one en-devour and recognizing it for what it is,

ah ha! But isn't that exactly what happens? As soon as you give up, then that's when life hands you another opportunity. Thee ole proverbial carrot on a string.

I believe in creating my own opportunity rather than to have life deliver it to me.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
dbbl
edit on 10-12-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

edit on 12/10/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Your name isnt "jimmy two times" is it?
get the paper get the paper

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, it's happened again.

Since my last post, I accepted a job but I left a couple of weeks ago to go back on my own. I decided to do a big campaign push last week, designed a website and yesterday I received my full color flyers to do some old fashioned guerrilla marketing today. Got up this morning to begin my day, check my inbox... I get a random full-time job offer from a company in Toronto. WTF?? Why does this happen all the freaking time? I'm not kidding. Things always happen in two's I just did some estimates for a client, I've got another estimate to do in a week or so, called all my former clients to tell them I'm baaaaaack, they say "Yay" and now I've got a big job offer from someone else to be their "employee"

Is life messing with me? Trying to create confusion? Trying my make me second guess myself? Or is there really something to the law of attraction? I used to be a firm believer in that but that dwindled down. However, it's pretty hard to ignore. Just when you give up on one thing, it resurfaces... Really strange.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have a friend who is a flooring contractor. As in any contracting business, the jobs are boom and bust. When things are slow for his business, he takes contracts through the bigger flooring contractor/retailers on a job by job basis. they pay him more than an employee because he is on contract and he still can book jobs for himself.
I'm not sure of what kind of contracting you do, but perhaps you could take contracts while you build your own business.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

I do data and voice cabling, low voltage stuff...

Ideally, swinging both would be great however, when I see "full-time" it means I won't have time do take care of my clients. I've already told my clients I was back after turning down previous jobs so I don't think I can pull that trick again without risking pissing them off for good. Maybe....just maybe it means I should hire an independent to work for me on the side while I work for someone else? Waiting to hear back and see how good the job offer is.

ETA: Was speaking with some other company I know the other day and they said things are getting really busy now. That's what made me decide to go on a campaign. But, perhaps this is why I'm getting the job offer because the industry is picking up again. Which means...I should keep going with plan A

edit on 14-3-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join