It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU sues to oust Boy Scouts.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

As to gender, that's up to the BSA.
Do I have to support their segregation?

Do you really think they should allow girls in the boy scouts even though they have the girl scouts? Or are you just kidding?

[edit on 19-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Do you really think they should allow girls in the boy scouts even though they have the girl scouts? Or are you just kidding?

I seriously see no need for two different scouts. No kidding.

Want me to blow your mind further?

I see no need for gender sports!

May the best person win!

EDIT: About the scouts. What's the difference? Do they teach the girls how to bake, and the boys how to whittle and spit?

[edit on 19-11-2004 by curme]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

I seriously see no need for two different scouts. No kidding.

Want me to blow your mind further?

I see no need for gender sports!

May the best person win!

EDIT: About the scouts. What's the difference? Do they teach the girls how to bake, and the boys how to whittle and spit?

[edit on 19-11-2004 by curme]

Im not sure about the Girl scouts I was only in Boy Scouts So I cant really tell you. But we went on camping trips and stuff out in the woods I dont really think we need to have young hormone driven kids camping with each other.

About Gender in sports I played on a soccer team in High school that had boys and girls on it.
Man it was funny, may the best man win more like it. It might not be PC but on average men are just stronger then women fair or not we are not the same. Thats a unfair advantage in most sports.

I mean just compare the NBA and WNBA
They have good Fundamentals in the WNBA though

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskey Jack

Originally posted by SgtNFury
The simple explanation and solution is that the BSA is a private organisation

That receives public funding, which is the crux of the issue. The ACLU's problem is not that the Boy Scouts are using space on military bases for their meetings. The problem is that the Boy Scouts are using space on military bases free of charge, when all other private organizations must pay for the same privilige.

*cough *cough BS.

The US government provides space on military bases and land for a number of organizations. Contact with the base's community relations department for information. I coordinate exactly this for a number of years when in the Marines.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Anyone who is interested in this issue should examine www.bsalegal.org.

In effect, if any troop was chartered on a military base, the only thing that will change for them is a piece of paper.

[edit on 20-11-2004 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Speaking as an Eagle Scout: The scouts by and large are dead. they are just waiting for someone to claim the body.

They like the church have failed to or been too slow to adopt change to stay relevant with changing times. Its too bad really as the leadership skills alone made it worht my time and effort.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Speaking as an Eagle Scout: The scouts by and large are dead. they are just waiting for someone to claim the body.

They like the church have failed to or been too slow to adopt change to stay relevant with changing times. Its too bad really as the leadership skills alone made it worht my time and effort.

If Boy Scouts gave merit badges in video game playing, TV watching, ritalin sniffing, all through the Internet, they'd probably still be alive and kicking. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I'm an Eagle Scout also. And Arrow of Light. Scouts was a great experience. Hell I tied a bowline and two half hitches just today. I don't know how they could adapt. The country seems weird, unhealthy, and for scouting these days.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I have an article all of you should read. It's related to the topic, read and have a laugh, then discover what pure common sense this article is.

Link

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Is the BSA really a religious institution?

They seem to require affirmations of certain religious stances. Therefore they are a religious group. They have also repeatedly asserted that they are a private organization that has the right to reject atheists, gays, and other types of kids from joining. THey are entirely right, they are a private group and are allowed to discriminate. That also requires that the government not sponsor, fund, or support them.
Yes the have a right to dicriminate. Tell me if you have a young son, do you want a homosexual troop leader? If you do...then you have no right to be a parent. This is common sense. To keep the children from harm.

The Pentagon, the ACLU, and the pissant, whiney, self-important Athiest parent who complained for the sake of complaining about this have all made a big mistake with this.

They are completely on the right side here. The national organization of the BSA are discriminatory, on the basis of creed and sexuality. They cannot be 'sponsored' by the government.
If the parents are Athiest are, why the hell are the sending their children to be Boy Scouts....AGAIN COMMON SENSE
The BSA insisted on having the right to discriminate against kids. They are of course allowed to, but, well, actions have consequences, and one of those in this case is just this event. They can't have it both ways.

intelearthling
The Boy Scouts aren't trying to have it both ways. They believe what they believe. If you don't sgree...DON'T SEND YOUR KIDS!!!!!
Atheists and the ungodly ACLU are trying to breach the high morals that the BSA instills in millions of our fine young boys that will eventually become outstanding citizens of this great nation.

The Boy Scouts have their belif in God and Family.......THERE IS NOTHING PROHIBITING THIS IN THE CONSTITUTION!!
How? They are merely noting that the BSA discriminates, and thus is not allowed to receive public funds. YOu think its alright to tax atheists and gays, effectively asking them for money, and then use that money to support a group that won't allow atheists and gays into it?

sgntfury
If you don't believe in this...DON'T SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO JOIN. Again COMMON F'IN SENSE....PEOPLE!
then DON'T JOIN! IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE YOU PATHETIC MORON! IF YOU DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO THE SCOUTS' VALUES, THEN WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BELONG, ANYWAY

And if you don't want atheists and gays in your group thn stop requiring them to pay money to support you group.

shadow
I was in the Boy Scouts well the Cub Scouts

I was in the scouts too, its an excellent organization, they should allow atheists and gays to join and not discriminate, the national org made a stupid decision, and now they have to suffer the consequences. Alls fair right, why should the BSA get special exceptions?

[edit on 19-11-2004 by Nygdan]

Again...I ask...How many of you actually wanting a GAY...(Excuse me ..I forgot to be P.C. Homosexual) Watching over your child?!?! If you have no freakin common sense the you don't deserve to be a parent, AND I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR CHILD!!!!!!

Come on people use some freakin common sense!!! Your just asking for trouble. And you same parents who are fighting this, ARE THE SAME SOB'S WHO WILL SUE WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOUR CHILD!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CSRules

Again...I ask...How many of you actually wanting a GAY...(Excuse me ..I forgot to be P.C. Homosexual) Watching over your child?!?! If you have no freakin common sense the you don't deserve to be a parent, AND I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR CHILD!!!!!!

Come on people use some freakin common sense!!! Your just asking for trouble. And you same parents who are fighting this, ARE THE SAME SOB'S WHO WILL SUE WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOUR CHILD!!!!!!

It doesn't matter. You teach your kids how to identify and report sexual abuse and what to watch for, and the troop to be chartered has to follow certain guidelines, like two adults have to be on any overnight trip. Gay guys aren't drooling over the prospect of a bunch of boys they can run around with, rape and turn gay. If they want to do that, they'll be dishonest and say they're straight anyway. Scouts get educated about sexual abuse in BSA videos also.

Your kid isn't safe just because his scout leader looks, talks, and acts like a lumberjack instead of Bob Ross.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Man whats with the ACLU attacking the Boy Scouts they couldnt find anyone easier to pick on perhaps a Brownie group or War Widows. Man I cant stand the ACLU

I was in the Boy Scouts well the Cub Scouts and thought it was great Org. for young kids.

Didn't you know the Girl Scouts has been a feminist training ground for years now? They encourage lesbianism! I was a Girl Scout once, but I didn't know about that...probably because I was only in it from grades 3-6. So of course the Antichristian Communist Lawlessness Union isn't going to bother them.

I plan on seeing if my son would be interested in joining the Boy Scouts when he's old enough--because of their moral standards. Especially since I plan on homeschooling him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join