It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose Christmas is it anyway?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As I am quoted in the intro of the "Reality Remix" radio show as saying, "If you want someone to stop doing something, it's more effective if you give them something else to do."

The church obviously wanted new Christians to stop observing secular and Pagan festivals, but instead of saying "don't do that", it was easier on converts to say "do this instead." Hence, Christmas as an alternative to Saturnalia.

No one knows when Jesus was born, and Christmas (literally, "Christ Mass") is a festival to celebrate his coming into the world, it isn't a birthday party.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Of course it was borrowed. I don't think any Christian alive truly thinks they did not adopt Christmas from various pagan cultures and religions.

Even Santa sort of fits into old western European pagan traditions. The Holly King and the Oak King are sort of like the meta-myths of how the seasons turn (beyond involvement from the Goddess). Santa Clause is depicted very much like the Holly King, who passes on the year to the Oak King, who is born in a miraculous fashion just like Jesus. In fact, here's the Holly King delivering the Oak King in a sort of a "passing the torch" type of moment.

In my signature, I have a Yule thread that sort of goes over some of the Santa/Holly King comparisons (in good fun).

But here's the thing: IT DOES NOT MATTER beyond it being an interesting discussion. Nearly ever single religious holiday there is has pagan roots and origins. It was the kinder, gentler method of converting the pagan tribes as opposed to just killing them all (both methods were carried out enough for us to know which one worked the best).

At it's core, the solstice celebrates the coming new life, be it of Earth, Jesus, Nature, the Oak King... it's still new life coming in to fulfill old promises. I couldn't think of a better day for Christians to pick for celebrating their Jesus being born in the flesh. It fits like no other day does! Same with Ostara (Easter).

I celebrate both. I celebrate Yule as a witch but Christmas as an American because, to me, Christmas is a very cultural holiday and I have no problems saying "Merry Christmas" to other participants. It's a pillar of western civilization and an icon for winter times. I'd hate to see it change (although I would like to see a pentagram on top of the Christmas tree in town squares, heh heh).

So:
Blessed Yule!
Merry Christmas!
Happy Hanukkah!
Joyful Kwanza!
Happy Chrismahanukwanzika!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

SisyphusRide
reply to post by woodwardjnr

the commies only got two place to go... Islam or China!

Christmas is for Christ Mass over 3/4 of the globe yo...

Communists? What the heck are you talking about?

Besides, Christmas is a mandate for Christians to give their own earnings over to others who are needy... wouldn't that be communist? Are you telling Christians to move to China or Islam (where the heck is Islam, anyway) if they want to celebrate a commie holiday like Christmas?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Oh please don't get him started

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have a new Christmassy avatar!

Needs a slight adjustment, but what do you think?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Pretty cool, NAM. Now fix it, lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I'm sorry man... I actually never disliked y'all... write on!

I'll leave the commie thread alone too hehe... I feel bad for crackin' the whip.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join