It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali woman who reported rape sentenced, but attackers free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I had to read this a couple of times to believe it. It seems a young journalist was raped by two other journalists, however another two journalists that reported the incident are going to jail. Simply for reporting the incident.

Abdimalik Yusuf (left), head of Shabelle radio and Mohamed Bashir, also a journalist, were sentenced Monday in Mogadishu for reporting on the alleged rape of a 19-year-old woman.

The court passed the verdict on Monday in the capital Mogadishu, saying the journalists were guilty of defamation and insulting state institutions. The 19-year old unidentified woman, who is also a journalist, was handed a suspended six-month jail sentence for defamation and lying, during which time she will be confined to her home, said Judge Hashi Elmi Nur. The journalists are to serve out their sentences, of one year and six months respectively, or pay a fine in order to win early release. It is the second time this year Somalia has jailed a woman for speaking out about rape and journalists for interviewing her. "The manager of Radio Shabelle, Abdilmalik Yusuf, was found guilty of offending state institutions, and therefore will serve a prison term of one year," the judge told the court. "Journalist Mohamed Bashir was found guilty of defamation and making false rape accusations, so he is given a six-month jail term."

"The alleged victim last month told the independent Radio Shabelle she was attacked and raped at gunpoint by two fellow journalists. But it was the journalists who reported her story who were jailed.

Last month the United Nations in Somalia called for a "proper investigation" into the case, while the United States said it was "deeply concerned."

Neither of the men accused of the rape were arrested."

Story:

america.aljazeera.com...

Somali also has the unenviable status of being the number 1 corrupt country in the world so I guess it's no wonder. This needs to be exposed more and more in the public domain if change will ever occur.

Foreign countries such as the US and USSR who used the country as a battleground for political ideologies helped drive corruption by backing particular clans or groups. U.S. funding really helped the Siad Barre regime, which really took government corruption to the next level. After the regime fled in 1991, the country is essentially lawless and ruled by clans, warlords, and militia groups.

www.businessinsider.com...
www.smartearningmethods.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
This is sad.
I have a question. Are Somali judges religious officials like judges are in some countries?

ETA:
I found time to look.... According to this Wikipedia page, the judges in Somali are affiliated closely with Islam.
Wikipedia: Islamic Courts Union
edit on 10-12-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, well there ya go...not so surprising is it? That's a hard fight then for a woman to go up against and win.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

pandersway
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, well there ya go...not so surprising is it? That's a hard fight then for a woman to go up against and win.

I can't imagine what the life of a woman must be like in such a place.

But the Islamopologists will tell you that Islam is all for women and that they protect them and put them on pedestals and such....

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Under Shari'a a woman's testimony is worth 1/3 of a man's. So, if she is raped, she has to get three people to testify to it on her behalf. She didn't get that, so she could be charged with adultery for it.

She may also be in danger from her male kin who could decide that her actions have besmirched their honor. I don't know how such things go in Somali culture, but in Arab cultures that might open her up to being punished, aimed or even killed.

new topics

top topics

join