It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six year old suspended for 'sexual harassment'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Mother of girl involved in 'kissing' discipline speaks out

The mother of a girl involved in the case of a 6-year-old Cañon City school boy being suspended for a second violation of giving a classmate unwanted kisses said she feels the school district has done a "great job" in protecting her daughter "from sexual harassment."

The girl's mother, Jade Masters-Ownbey, spoke out on a Facebook page and gave permission to the Daily Record to publish her response.

"Not once, but over and over...not with her permission but sneaking up on her...not without warning and consequences prior to suspension," she stated.

Superintendent Dr. Robin Gooldy said under the district's sexual harassment policy, the fourth definition fits both circumstances, which reads, "Unwelcome touching, such as patting, pinching or repeated brushing against another's body."

Ownbey stated there originally were two boys who had "kept her (daughter) from playing with other kids and fought with each other."

"After they got in trouble, one boy stopped but the other boy apparently didn't get it," she stated. "I had to put restrictions on her about which she was allowed to be around at school. I've had to coach her about what to do when you don't want someone touching you, but they won't stop."

Ownbey stated her daughter's older brother has felt like he needed to protect her at school.

"In elementary school, when a boy kisses a girl, the usual response of their peers is 'ewwww,'" she stated. "So why do the other kids rush to tell? Because they've seen it over and over, they've seen him repeatedly get in trouble for it, they've seen the girl repeatedly tell him to stop, they know it's wrong."

www.canoncitydailyrecord.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

dubiousone
So the boy has a "discipline problem". That still does not convert a kiss into an act of SEXUAL harassment. The stupidity of the school is in the label it has applied to what the boy did. A quick kiss on the cheek is a display of affection. It is not a sexual act.

Agreed, and I think most people with common sense agree as well. Some people would rather continue treating our little kids like criminals and using terms like sexual harassment on them. It's a sick world.

Bottom line, this little kid is not a sexual predator. We need to stop making excuses for schools with "policies" like this, because there aren't any. Personally, I think people need to start seriously considering pulling their kids out of the Public School Prisons.
edit on 11-12-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The mother of a girl involved in the case of a 6-year-old Cañon City school boy being suspended for a second violation of giving a classmate unwanted kisses said she feels the school district has done a "great job" in protecting her daughter "from sexual harassment."

Makes a little more sense with that full article, but this paragraph is overkill.

Makes it sound like the six year old boy is a rapist.

Sounds like a small social issue to me, not something that ought to be blown out of whack like this. Just like Russel Brand supposedly saying Justin Beiber "should take heroine."

Media hype.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I can't help but wonder what, if anything, would have been said or done if he had kissed another boy. Would that qualify as "harassment" or "just be cute"?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

teamcommander
reply to post by Wookiep

I can't help but wonder what, if anything, would have been said or done if he had kissed another boy. Would that qualify as "harassment" or "just be cute"?

I have no idea, but it shouldn't be sexual harassment in any case with any 6 year old.. Good question though, and on the other hand, if it was a girl kissing a boy what would have happened?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

teamcommander
reply to post by Wookiep

Considering this boy has been preventing the girl from playing with her friends and the advances were unwelcome and he was disciplined and talked to about this obsession/bullying repeatedly and suspended twice...I think it would not be considered "cute" boy or girl.

The mom had to have a talk with her 6 year old girl about what to do when someone touches her without permission.

I think this little girls life must have been hell having a boy bullying her on a daily basis and follow her around making advances all the time.

Best this boy learn early what is OK, but seeing as a dozen interventions, talking with family and now two suspensions haven't stopped it, and him having a mother that thinks it is OK...I am not optimistic he will get the guidance he deserves.
edit on 11-12-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
All right guys - first a disclaimer, I'm not doing very well at the moment so I apologize if my arguments aren't as scientific as they should be - I'm taking a new medicine that affects my memory.

So let me start out by explaining something. At 6 years old, someone is not old enough to know what sexual harassment is. I know this from being a psychology major. In fact, sexual exploration is entirely normal for younger children and even between guys who are not gay around the age of 13 or so.

I'll go ahead and continue the argument. It was consensual, and I'm willing to bet that some adult decided it was sexual harassment (as they have the right to do) but if the girl doesn't have the ability to know what sexual harassment is, I doubt the guy the same age as her does.

It could have been a poor choice in wording on the part of the school district. "Sexual harassment" is one of those words like "terrorist" that has the ability to take away people's constitutional rights regardless of how ridiculous the circumstances are or not.

My opinion might be unpopular, but it is scientifically valid as far as I know. What happened really seems innocent if you read the news article.

-----

When I was in Kindergarten, there were girls who wanted to "show me yours and I'll show you mine" that kind of thing. I've always been chased for the most part. At least when I do "chase" someone it turns out awkward.

I don't know if that makes anyone feel any better or not. But there was one time when I was playing inside of this structure on the playground, it may have even been in pre-school, and a girl who liked me came in there and I think we even kissed.

Well, hopefully this blows over fast! Because a little embarrassment is okay, but taking it out of proportion could be an issue. I do happen to remember after that girl kissed me in pre-school I did feel a bit embarrassed.

Also, when someone is only 6 years old, this could potentially, in the worst case scenario, blossom into some 18-year therapy session that just reinforces something that would have been better off left to fading memories.

edit on 11pmWed, 11 Dec 2013 14:36:48 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 11pmWed, 11 Dec 2013 14:37:21 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Hmm... well thanks for the extra information, I didn't read that in the article.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Wookiep
need to stop making excuses for schools with "policies" like this, because there aren't any. Personally, I think people need to start seriously considering pulling their kids out of the Public School Prisons.

This is the main issue I agree with, here. A lot of policies that infringe on our freedoms are often tested first on the Public School System because students traditionally have less rights than adults, especially when it comes to psychological programming for some reason, even though that goes against all ethical reasoning that I'm aware of.

Even when it doesn't come down to totalitarianism, look at how the Public Schools were used as a vehicle for liberalism in the past. Now, many of them are apparently a vehicle for conservative totalitarianism.

-----

Once again, I remember when I was in high school (2000-2002), they started installing video cameras and the security guards were able to search lockers and backpacks as they saw fit. It caused some controversy among the students. Then, metal detectors showed up.

Prior to Columbine, a lot of kids in my middle-school (late 90's) would draw "violent" pictures and whatnot and we used to program "violent" games during lunch, none of this meant that we were going to do anything violent, there was a clear difference between the two.

After Columbine, though, a lot of students got suspended that year for the same thing. After I graduated from high school, Homeland Security had been set up across the U.S., airport security checkpoints were going overboard...

The basic idea here is that the idea of a criminal has changed to someone who might offend in the future from someone who has been charged and found guilty in a court of law.

I hope I don't live to see book burning, witch-hunting and the like happen in this country on a massive scale. I really hate those time periods.
edit on 11pmWed, 11 Dec 2013 14:56:30 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Slander? lol, a 6 year old has no name to slander.

You can't just charge someone with Slander beause they said something about you. You need to prove that what they said caused you to lose money.

Maybe if the kid was older and he was a babysitter, and then no one wanted to hire him because of this. Or if he was older and had a paper route, which he then lost because of this.

Putting a note on a record that means nothing is not slander and there is zero chance you would win in court.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MCJustJ

I think it all depends on how permanent the label and the record are. If the other kids think the guy is a sex offender, they could treat him like one, and especially if he is in the same peer group through high school, it might not entirely go away -

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Im2keul
reply to post by Wookiep

Yet another story about morons running our schools.
Damn good thing I went to school when I did, I'd be expelled with all the BS rules they have now.

You and me both, sir. But instead, I was able to graduate college with a decent set of degrees and no criminal record. It really just goes to show how much our education system is an indoctrination system more than an education system, in a lot of cases.
edit on 11pmWed, 11 Dec 2013 14:59:11 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Well what needs to happen in schools nowadays, to avoid all conflict, is that boys and girls should be segregated into their own sides of the school. Then we break those groups down by race, then religion, then sexuality. I mean really. You do not want a gay, white, male, Jew hitting on a straight, black, Christian male. Or a straight Chinese, female Muslim hitting on a lesbian, atheist Hispanic. Think of the consequences. All these different cultural, religions, ethic kids being around each other from day to day? Dang it might breed tolerance and understanding. Heaven forbid we have that!

(yes this is sarcasm!)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

The irony in this is if the parents didn't make such a big deal abotu this, no one would even know what he got suspended for.

Granted 6 year olds probably aren't going to be reading news on the Internet to see this and put the pieces together.

But the fact is no one knows what he got suspended for besides the school and his parents. And now anyone who reads this article. They made the information available. Schools don't go around telling other students why certain students were suspended.

And even if it sticks with him to High School. That is not how slander works. In order to sue someone for slander you have to be able to prove a loss of wages due to what the person said.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

MCJustJ
reply to post by darkbake

The irony in this is if the parents didn't make such a big deal abotu this, no one would even know what he got suspended for.

Granted 6 year olds probably aren't going to be reading news on the Internet to see this and put the pieces together.

But the fact is no one knows what he got suspended for besides the school and his parents. And now anyone who reads this article. They made the information available. Schools don't go around telling other students why certain students were suspended.

For the current generation of kids...Google and Facebook are FOREVER...My generation didn't have to worry about such things as an eternal running record of cell phone pics of the crazy and stupid things we did when we were teenagers.

The mom didn't do her son any service by making this national news. The school says that they expunge records when kids move on to 7th grade, but the internet is forever.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
If anyone wants to see what direction our school systems are going, I would encourage you to watch this documentary. It's been out for a little while now, and I'm sure things are even worse now, but it points out how extreme things have become. It doesn't even touch on the sexual harassment, I'm not even sure schools were using that term for elementary school kids 2 years ago.

WARNING - This video WILL piss you off (well, any sane person) in the first 10 minutes.

edit on 11-12-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Talk about overreacting to harmless affection!
This is nothing new! I've heard of children as young
getting suspended for pointing at their friend with
their hand as a pistol and saying bang your dead!
This zero tolerance has to end!
I have no tolerance for zero tolerance!
I believe this is all about brain washing our progeny
to mindlessly follow irrational rules! They are children
and should not have to stress whether or not they are
living up to the standards set by a corrupt
and mindless bureaucracy!
I can 't imagine being scolded or punished for some of these
things our children are!
Here are some examples of an overbearing board of uneducation!

1. 6-year old suspended for bringing clear plastic toy gun to show and tell.

2. 5 year-old suspended for making Lego Gun.

3. 5-year old talks — yes talks — about Bubble Gun.

4. First Grader talks — yes talks — about Nerf Guns.

Maybe this is off topic and from what I've read about
this kid that was suspended for kissing this girl that he was repeatedly
told to stop by the victim! He was also repeatedly told to stop by the teacher!
I would not call it sexual harassment though! Maybe just harassment!
What does any 6 year olds know about sex!
The most this child knows is that kissing is a sign of
affection!

Here are my sources: legalinsurrection.com...

news.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

Star for you. I agree that innocence of things of a sexual nature should be left that way. 6 year old children have better things to do and think about than the twisted imaginings of paranoid adults. LEGOs for example. Or Barbie.

I think zero tolerance is high buffoonery, but I do wish our society didn't glorify violence so much. Boys have always been into weapons and stuff, and that will never change. We live in a world of commercialized death, and it's everywhere from TV, video games, children's cartoons, the news, etc. I wonder how the zero tolerance policy would have worked in Athens, circa 300BC. Kid comes in with his new longbow for show and tell, and gets 20 lashes? Seriously. Boys (and men) are just wired more for rough-housing, boogers, farting, guns, etc. The main disaster with zero tolerance is that children never learn about context or alternatives. Just punishment.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Suspension has been dropped. School drops 'sexual harassment’ claim after suspending 6yo kid for kiss

Hopefully the problems there are resolved. In any case, I think it has been an overreach of political correctness. These kinds of stories are too frequent.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

TwoTonTommy
Suspension has been dropped. School drops 'sexual harassment’ claim after suspending 6yo kid for kiss

Hopefully the problems there are resolved. In any case, I think it has been an overreach of political correctness. These kinds of stories are too frequent.

Excellent! I guarantee it was because there was so much outrage over it. Hopefully people with common sense keep speaking out and victories like this will continue. We can't let these psychopaths win with nonsense like this story. Thanks for sharing that!

edit on 12-12-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join