It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a doco about Atlantis/Lemuria!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Ramcheck
I'm looking for any serious documentaries on Aquaman, if anyone can help. Thanks.

Very funny... I bet in school you used to bully anyone who you did not agree with...

Just for you, they made whole series....

animal.discovery.com...

Enjoy...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

SuperFrog

Ramcheck
I'm looking for any serious documentaries on Aquaman, if anyone can help. Thanks.

Very funny... I bet in school you used to bully anyone who you did not agree with...

Just for you, they made whole series....

animal.discovery.com...

Enjoy...

Not at School no, I was happy then. Only in adult life when I realised how stupid people were, it made me feel better as a person.

Mermaids and Atlantis are folklore, why are they in an Ancient Civilizations forum?

Who is in the wrong here? Your or me?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Probably you for not following that it is possible that origin of that folklore was civilization destroyed by Thera eruption 3.6 thousands year ago, and that there are many ruins still uncovered, language that needs to be decoded and many magnificent artifacts including architecture that was way ahead of its time.

So, yes, it is Ancient AND lost civilization that might be behind story that was somewhat changed into legend of today... and it should be on this forum.

Your aquaman and mermaids - not so. Same goes for your response... including label 'stupid'... Thank you btw.
edit on 19-12-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

SuperFrog
Probably you for not following that it is possible that origin of that folklore was civilization destroyed by Thera eruption 3.6 thousands year ago, and that there are many ruins still uncovered, language that needs to be decoded and many magnificent artifacts including architecture that was way ahead of its time.

So, yes, it is Ancient AND lost civilization that might be behind story that was somewhat changed into legend of today... and it should be on this forum.

Your aquaman and mermaids - not so. Same goes for your response... including label 'stupid'... Thank you btw.
edit on 19-12-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

High horse etc..

It might be a good time to suggest a Folklore forum for ATS. Just to seperate fact from fiction.
edit on 19/12/13 by Ramcheck because: ooh

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Ramcheck
High horse etc..

It might be a good time to suggest a Folklore forum for ATS. Just to seperate fact from fiction.
edit on 19/12/13 by Ramcheck because: ooh

Very interesting, please help me grasp what you are saying...

Are you calling ruins of Minonian empire folklore and fiction?

What those archeologist and geologist that proved that Thera eruption was equal to explosion of around 100 atomic bombs, that there was about 60 square kilometers ashes that was released in atmosphere, as well earthquake that started huge tsunami that destroyed surrounding islands and most of Minonian culture which was trading with cities on coast, are trying to do is to separate facts from folklore.

There is high probability that legend was formed on real event, and you have to be very ignorant not to see it.

And as for folklore and fiction, we have that sub-forum - it's called religion.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

SuperFrog
There is high probability that legend was formed on real event, and you have to be very ignorant not to see it.

Actually, you have to be ignorant to refer to the story of Atlantis as a "legend" in the first place.

There is no legend or myth of Atlantis. There is the single use of a fictional society in an allegorical tale by one philosopher expounding on the deplorable state of his culture in his own time.

Harte
edit on 12/20/2013 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Harte, I come from country where oral tradition still existed when I was kid and large amount of older folks were illiterate. Still I was told nice stories about king who ruled the country in first half of 11th century. It is about 800 years of stories of prosper, kind and just king that was told through generations and it is still told to young ones, except, I could check facts and find that king really existed and that there are documents about his rain that seems to prove those stories true.

I don't even speak the same language like those people many centuries ago, and there was about 500 years of ottoman rule, but story survived.

I doubt that similar could not happen in given times between ~1600BC and ~590BC when Solon visited Egypt. There are documents that show ties between Minonians and Egyptians, like London Medical Papyrus.

Don't you think that strange story of a civilization that was destroyed by tsunami and thera eruption wouldn't be nice story to share with Solon when he visited Egypt?

Why not explore possibility that those 2 events are connected and that there might be reasonable explanation behind exaggerate story of Atlantis made by Plato many years later?

And one more thing about oral tradition in place where my ancestors are from - it was largely done in group work either with simple story telling, or by singing of epic songs. The same story were told many times, kids would learn them and later tell the same story to their kids. We still have parts of world with this tradition.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

There is no legend or myth of Atlantis. There is the single use of a fictional society in an allegorical tale by one philosopher expounding on the deplorable state of his culture in his own time.

I will refute that claim

There is much evidence showing a 'prior man' with an intelligence
beyond todays capabilities.

The bible also tells the tale of 'the Tower of Babel' which is likened
to that of an Atlantean "TYPE" civilization.

From my own research, I believe that there was no one island or
continent named Atlantis, but our planet shared a name in synonamous
relation to the name Atlantis.

This can be proven by the misunderstood ancient monuments strewn
across our planet and verified through mathematics.

Whom ever left these monuments knew that language through our societies
changes with time such as we don't speak the same as Shakespeare did nor did
he speak the same as the Roman's did and the Roman's didn't use the same language
as the Sumerian's and so on..

They knew as humans we understand math and use it for everything, as they did,
so they encoded their message to us in monuments integrated with math.

Once this is understood and verified, then the code can be broken

proving a prior intelligent human species and the basis for Platos' s story.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

I strongly urge you to check out Slayer69's threads, if you do not see what you are looking for shoot him a message and he can point you in the right direction.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

HumAnnunaki

I will refute that claim

There is much evidence showing a 'prior man' with an intelligence
beyond todays capabilities.

"Much?'

If you mean "none," then you'd be right.

The bible also tells the tale of 'the Tower of Babel' which is likened
to that of an Atlantean "TYPE" civilization.

"Likened" by who? You?

Harte

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

I believe the Atlantis Plato talked about is the Minoan civilisation that was destroyed by a giant volcanic eruption in the Mediterranean. Google video search for "atlantis minoan civilization"

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim
I believe the Atlantis Plato talked about is the Minoan civilisation that was destroyed by a giant volcanic eruption in the Mediterranean.

I realize that it's a reasonable thing to speculate about, but Plato was quite clear as to the location of Atlantis - outside the Med. directly in front of Gibraltar.

There are lots of dreamers who want to claim that the "Straits of Herakles" mentioned by Plato could be somewhere else, and that is true.

But they weren't somewhere else in Plato's time.

The fringers try to counter this fact with the idea that Plato's story is based on some older version written when the mentioned straits were some other geographic location and I'd admit that this could be true.

However, there is no evidence whatsoever that the story predates Plato.

The fringe responds to this with the usual about how "Troy was once considered mythical" etc...

But at least we actually have a myth of Troy that runs through all of Ancient Greek culture. There is no such Atlantis myth.

I'd like for Atlantis to be Crete or Thera too. But, again, there's no evidence that Plato knew anything about what happened at either place.

So, in the end, there's no conclusion to be made, other than the entire story was fabricated by Plato - far and away the likeliest thing about the whole affair.

Harte

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

I tend to agree. What if the whole Atlantis myth is about knowledge, and that knowledge being our Earth is as round as the Sun and the Moon. How if you sail across the Atlantic the continent you're leaving appears to drop below the ocean and the horizon, as you sail away from it, and ahead a new world will appear to rise up from the ocean. Atlantis literally means "The Atlantic".

A fun experiment: Lie down on a beach at sunset and see the Sun set, then when the last rays dissapear, rise up quickly to see the Sun set once again.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim
reply to post by Harte

I tend to agree. What if the whole Atlantis myth is about knowledge, and that knowledge being our Earth is as round as the Sun and the Moon. How if you sail across the Atlantic the continent you're leaving appears to drop below the ocean and the horizon, as you sail away from it, and ahead a new world will appear to rise up from the ocean. Atlantis literally means "The Atlantic"

A fun experiment: Lie down on a beach at sunset and see the Sun set, then when the last rays dissapear, rise up quickly to see the Sun set once again.

Almost. Atlantis actually means "Sea of Atlas". But more to Harte's point Herodotus placed his Atlanteans in Northwest Africa while Plato placed his Atlantis just outside of and directly in front of the Straits of Gibraltar. Close enough that it's alleged destruction caused access to and from the Mediterranean to cease. And nowhere does Plato mention a volcano being involved which negates any claim to Thera's destruction being the origin for the Atlantis story as some would like to believe.

cormac

edit on 5-1-2014 by cormac mac airt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Harte
However, there is no evidence whatsoever that the story predates Plato.

I guess you have evidence it does not predates Plato? Would love to see it.

As for not mentioning of Vulcan eruption by cormac, how would you expect people surrounding event to call it - just imagine, all cities close to sea wiped out by Tsunami, close to eruption - similar to 100 nuclear explosions. Those lucky to survive first impact, most likely died from tsunami that followed and/or ash fallout (about 60 KM^3).

Just imagine stories about destruction by those who survived. I am sure that horror of events might be passed generations later in stories.
edit on 5-1-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
People like you in 500 years: America didn't exist it's just a hoax. China is fake.

To OP: Start with Spirit Science

www.youtube.com... (The Rise of Atlantis)

www.youtube.com... (The Atlantean Catastrophe)

The guy in the video supposedly channels a Nacaal (race of beings who inhabited Atlantis) who lived in Atlantis at that time.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

samuel1990
reply to post by Awen24

Thanks for the reply! Interesting you post about Santorini! We watched a 40 min youtube vid that was saying that Atlantis was in Santorini, and to be honest I told my partner this was a #e doco and rolled a smoke haha.
My partner loved it, he said it was great. But I was looking for something a little more..... in depth? I don't know lol.

Just didn't hit the spot! Cheers again for the reply!

Had you listened correctly the documentary did not imply Atlantis was just Santorini but i gather its hard for you to follow this deeply.

Look for the description on my tin and watch that documentary in full again without the rolling busyness and you might get a bite of things indeed.

Don t expect much beyond a bite though because you will need a lot of work for anything more.

When you get a mouthfull you might as well get an invitation to watch the wonders by yourself.

Respectfully,
George.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Try actually paying attention to what Plato says in Timaeus concerning Atlantis. Particularly as he places it outside the Straits of Gibraltar/Pillars of Hercules and says its destruction was due to earthquakes and floods, while not mentioning any volcano. Secondly that he places it in a timeframe of 9000 years before Solon, which makes Thera irrelevant. Thirdly, that he says nothing of Atlantis' destruction as a city but describes Atlantis as an island and it's the entire island that is submerged/destroyed. And that, per his claimed measurements, the island of Atlantis is in the neighborhood of 290 miles X 290 miles minimum. None of these refer to Thera at any point in history.

Twisting or manipulating what Plato says about Atlantis won't make ones pet theory Atlantis. It only makes it what one wants it to be. There IS a difference.

cormac

edit on 5-1-2014 by cormac mac airt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Cormac,

all of those can be product of Plato hearing story as kid, and not even from first hand.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Considering that there is no evidence of the Atlantis story that predates Plato's first mention of it, as well as what one of the characters in Timaeus is alleged to have said concerning the Athens of Atlantis' time, there is no reason to believe it was ever real to begin with. As stated from the Timaeus:

"The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians."

Edit to add: One can play "Let's Pretend" all they want, but that won't make Atlantis real.

cormac

edit on 6-1-2014 by cormac mac airt because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join