It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare threatens to force thousands of volunteer fire departments to close

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If a fire department has more than 50 firefighters spending more than 32 hours a week each at "work" you don't have have a volunteer fire department. As a matter of fact, please by all means, point me to a department or five that fits this description.

More wing nut fear mongering fail.....

Please allow me to solve this huge problem for the dim bulbs out there.

From your fire chief. Effective immediately, no volunteer firefighter is to volunteer more than 32 hours every week. I imagine they would be quitting in droves, lol.....
edit on 9-12-2013 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

beezzer
"If you like your fire department, you can keep your fire department."

-beez

And when a remote IRS outpost office burns down...

They can all look at each other and say...

"We should have read it to find out what's in it"

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

teslahowitzer
reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beez, question, If you like your wanna-be dictator, can you keep your wanna-be dictator???

(laughs)

I don't think we have a choice with that one!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by beezzer

'Read My Lips! No New.....' Oh.. Wrong guy huh? Sorry...

Been a long long ride on this E-ticket train, hasn't it?

I'm getting somewhat motion sick.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

To volunteer is to be on call. Available 24/7 to supplement in many cases other real firefighters. Volunteers are also able to have health insurance. Over 65% of all firefighters in the US are volunteers. They are used to staff a fire department. Remembers these are also EMT's, etc...first responders....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

beezzer
"If you like your fire department, you can keep your fire department."

-beez

Wipe those tears off your face you crazy wabbit and jump In my skillet lol...

Yep more whining, fear mongering. Heck there is not even records for half guys who volunteer around here. Ah, it is unpaid volunteer with nothing to even give no sticking irs.

You want to know how many well show up for the football game and barby on Sunday, heck in between beers they might wash the machine.

Give it a rest, he only has couple years left, they will fly by, then what you gonna bitsh about, oh Yea hillary. Lol lol lol

The Bot

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

I live in PA...97 percent of the firefighters in the Commonwealth are volunteers. 97 percent! The PA Turnpike runs thru my community and emergencies on the Pike are covered by our Twp volunteers.

I don't think, given your statement, that you grasp how VFDs "work." The VOLUNTEERS all work (or go to school in case of jr ff) and LIVE in the community. They COMMIT to x number of hours "on call" per week. Communities in rural areas are spread out, so multiple VFDs are required to cover area as first responders. Not EVERY ff is available at all times so a "mutual aid concept" is applied. FF are dispatched in my area via Countywide 911.

The money that is donated for VFDS goes to the equipment; professional hazmat type training (again a major interstate is protected by our VFDs.

The insurance issue, more financial hurt brought about by not only the epic fail ObamaCare but by the Obama IRS WILL BE DEVASTATING if rural/suburban fire coverage is lost for even a few days while the profoundly inept in DC has this out. These are FIRST RESPONDERS.

Just like the EXISTING health insurance coverage that something like 85 percent of Americans were happy with pre ObamaCare, the VFD system works...but yet, in the words of Obama America must be "fundamentally change." Shutting down functioning first reaponder networks would be par for the Obama course.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The government wants to stick their nose in everything regardless of the implications.

From the article . . .

The U.S. Department of Labor takes the term 'volunteer' literally, but the IRS says volunteer firefighters are technically employees if they're on the job more than 30 hours per week, making them subject to Obamacare's employee-mandate rules

Common sense is that a "volunteer" receives no money for their service. Also, most volunteer service is performed for non-profit groups set up for the benefit of the community. If no money is involved, then the IRS should have zero to say about it. What the IRS is suggesting is that volunteer time is equivalent to money earned somehow.

What is next then?

Will they try to tax my tax deductions?
Will the IRS try to tax the time I take to look after one of my friends dogs while they are away?
Do they want to tax the time I use bringing mail to my neighbor's house?
Will the government try to force me into "volunteer" service and then tax me for my slave labor?

ETA: I bet they have no problem with people that volunteer for the federal government or for those with political power.

edit on 10-12-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last line

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

matafuchs

this has the potential to cause MAJOR issues in our country...why would you want to do that Mr Government? Why?

Just a suggestion: Wouldn't leaving many communities without the ability to help themselves in an emergency situation be a darn good reason to move in FEMA troops to "help us"?

That would also leave the government in a position to be prepared to handle any situation!

Coincidences don't just happen!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It won't happen in our Department or anywhere else in Connecticut.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

Wait and see how this plays out???

Are you *snipping* kidding me? The wait and see game is why we are in this mess! Wake up...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
To clarify, the IAFC or International Assoc of Fire Chiefs has been asking since September for more information. There is nothing to play out except the ruse of the PPACA.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Here is a video showing this is not fear mongering....

LINK TO VIDEO

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join