It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare threatens to force thousands of volunteer fire departments to close

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
'A public safety disaster': Obamacare could force THOUSANDS of volunteer fire departments to close

- The Affordable Care Act forces companies with more than 50 workers to buy them all health insurance or pay hefty fines
- The IRS says volunteer firefighters are 'employees,' even though the Department of Labor says they're 'volunteers'
- Out of more than 1 million fire departments in the U.S., 87 per cent are staffed entirely or mostly by life-saving volunteers
- Members of Congress are weighing in, but the Obama administration hasn't taken any action yet to carve out a fire-fighting exception

So, why are volunteers counted as employees and how are we tracking that 30 hours? The US department of Labor says that they are literally volunteers but not the IRS. They say that if they are volunteering more than 30 hours per week that they are subject to the laws of the PPACA or Obamacare. How can this BE?

1000's of volunteer companies around the country are comprised of groups of more than 50. A fine after the first 30 of 2000 for someone who 'volunteers'.

So, not only are they coming after our tax returns but now they are going after one of the last vestiges of hope in a crisis.

LINK TO STORY

Nationally, the Federal Emergency Management Agency reports that volunteer fire departments make up 71 per cent of America's 1 million firehouses. Another 16 per cent are 'mostly volunteer.'
It's unclear how many of those department involve at least 50 people, making the potential impact of the Affordable Care Act's latest unintended consequence difficult to calculate.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

this has the potential to cause MAJOR issues in our country...why would you want to do that Mr Government? Why?

edit on 12pm31pmf0000002013-12-09T19:49:21-06:000721 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Maybe it is just me but when I see something like this the only thing that flashes in my mind is, "let the insanity continue until the public actually wakes up and wants meaningful change".

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Maybe this was done on purpose, one swift way to close up
shop on very skillfully trained men and women who save
lives every day on a volunteer basis.

I can see it now, replaced somehow with folks trained to follow
the militarized protocol; like the local police departments
used to be there to protect and to serve.

This has far reaching not good at all implications.

edit on 9-12-2013 by burntheships because: format

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Exactly....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How come you didn't put obamacare in the headline? Gets the attention faster. I know a lot of volunteer firefighters. Sharing this on FB.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

Sorry so used to calling it that at work it sticks...been changed!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It gets even more complicated.

In some counties there are 10 to 30 small towns with volunteer fire departments in each under a county volunteer fire department coordinator. This coordinator helps the departments obtain equipment and training
Under Obamacare this is now a county volunteer fire system with a combined force of all the towns firefighters as county firefighters. This is because there is mutual aid agreements between most fire departments in the local area
This is even though none of town departments have over 50 volunteers.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
...And if you think thats all that will be effected in MAJOR ways, think some more, use your mind, look at every person in amerikka, every one, then the next few million that will scurry across the border upon implementation. This massive train wreck will SCREW every person with a job, and benefit the lazy, non working, and lawful victim. there are people whom really need it, but why is it my place to fund their healthcare, NO ONE HAS EVER GAVE ME ANYTHING!! EVER! Now, what happens to the government employed firemen? what do they do in this??? this is just the very begining, and it sucks now!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

You got it...this is a very serious problem.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Utter nonsense & scaremongering by the anti Obamacare factions.

Even if this were true (Volunteer departments caught in an IRS loophole) there's no way the administration or the congress wouldn't fix this to exempt them.

C'mon folks...let's use some common sense.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Riffrafter

Even if this were true (Volunteer departments caught in an IRS loophole) there's no way the administration or the congress wouldn't fix this to exempt them.

Well, so far your wrong, as The Fire Chiefs have have run up against
the IRS on this, and the IRS is not budging so far.

The organization representing the fire chiefs has been working on the issue with the IRS and White House for months.

“It could be a huge deal,” said U.S. Rep. Lou Barletta, R-11, Hazleton, who is seeking clarification from the IRS. “In Pennsylvania, 97 percent of fire departments are fully or mostly volunteer firefighters. It’s the fourth highest amount in the country.”

So far, the IRS hasn’t decided what to do.

Efforts to reach spokesmen for the IRS were unsuccessful.
pjmedia.com...

edit on 9-12-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

Thats the freaking problem here dude, there is no common sense in this massive screwup, and it has just started.....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Are you denying it exists? This is real not fear mongering. Fear mongering is creating what is not there to cause reaction or sway influence. I am simply posting what PPACA is creating.

What is your interpretation?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The only thing honest and truthful about the Affordable Care Act has been the word, "Act".

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

burntheships

Well, so far your wrong, as The Fire Chiefs have have run up against
the IRS on this, and the IRS is not budging.

I'm sure you're right re: IRS classification as those ass clowns are ridiculous, but I don't believe there's a remote chance of forcing volunteer fire companies to provide heath insurance to their volunteer members via Obamacare.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

....which in fact will lead to a massive civil war and the destruction of the free world.... major changes cause major changes, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction..........call it trickle down disaster!
edit on 9-12-2013 by teslahowitzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

No one 'thought' they were losing their health coverage either.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
"If you like your fire department, you can keep your fire department."

-beez

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beez, question, If you like your wanna-be dictator, can you keep your wanna-be dictator???

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

'Read My Lips! No New.....' Oh.. Wrong guy huh? Sorry...

Been a long long ride on this E-ticket train, hasn't it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join