It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrested Because He Joked About Mandela

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I just came across this story and thought i would share it with you. I did a search but didn't find anything so apologies if this has already been posted.

A man was arrested in september for posting a joke in a forum about Nelson Mandela.

Neil Phillips, 44, insists he meant 'no harm' when he posted the jokes online

A sandwich shop owner endured eight hours of questioning by police and had his computer seized for three weeks – after making tasteless Nelson Mandela jokes on the internet.

Neil Phillips, who runs Crumbs in Rugeley, Staffordshire, says he was also finger-printed and DNA-swabbed after officers received complaints about what he insists were harmless gags.

In one online post, the 44-year-old wrote: 'My PC takes so long to shut down I’ve decided to call it Nelson Mandela.'

Mr Phillips was arrested at his home on September 10 and was taken to a police station where he was quizzed about the postings on the Rugeley Soap Box website.

They are jokes that I cut-and-pasted,' insisted Mr Phillips. 'I didn’t make them up and I didn’t put them on a public site.

'You have to sign-up and join. It’s turning into the thought police – you can’t do this, you can’t do that.

While the joke is tasteless, this is ridiculous.

Freedom of speech is slowly being eroded away right before our eyes

Here a link to the article.

Mods please move to the appropriate forum if this is the wrong forum

King

edit on 9/12/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Good grief... How absurd!

I joke about EVERYONE.. and everything. GUess I should just go wait on the porch for the SWAT team.. or maybe the secret service for the joke I just made on another thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
What do you mean slowly???

This shows there is NO FREEDOM in Speech.
Guilty until proven innocent is the status quo now.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Until we all stand up together and put a stop to this nonsense it will just continue to get worse, then when we decide we ought to do something it'll be too late.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
When the thread title said arrested for a joke about Mandela, I thought there would at least be clear racial overtones or something. That was just tacky and in poor taste but not especially offensive as I understand the term. Give it enough time from Mandela's death and it might even have been mildly humorous.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's the Daily Mail which is one of several "news" sources bent on convincing white people that they're being persecuted. I'll wait for info from another source.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This below is only meant for entertainment purposes .( I think).

Physical punishment is the only kind of punishment that will work against these animals that have wormed their way into positions of power over the people.

The people doing these things have never been punished except maybe a fine, or a promotion, but usually the latter..

My opinion is that they should be put on a list of freedom stealing oficials, and punished with severe beatings.. To break their grip you must first break their spirit.

All it would take would be a dedicated group of individuals to track habits and routines of target a-holes.

The only problem with this theory is that multiple LEO's would try to infiltrate such a group, so forming a group like this would be a professional and expert level challenge.,.

I think myself and coming up with schemes like this just shows I have read way too much fiction in my formative days.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
say hello to the new freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kingears

Sounds like they gave him the "Full Nelson".......

(Get off the stage)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

I wouldn't use any of those rags to sneeze on...

I'm not saying it didn't happen or couldn't in this day and age, just waiting for a better source.
edit on 12/9/2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by RoScoLaz

I wouldn't use any of those rags to sneeze on...

I'm not saying it didn't happen or couldn't in this day and age, just waiting for a better source.
edit on 12/9/2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

Ok so what is a credible source according to your standards?

King

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

It's bad to have standards?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Not at all, but to disregard a story purely on where its been reported seems silly. There must be some merit to it seeing as it was a local councillor who reported him. I know its the Daily "Fail" but that doesn't mean all their stories are rubbish.

I read a lot of stuff on BIN, even though i know its mainly questionable material posted by self proclaimed experts, but I like to see the whole picture and see what misinformation is being peddled around the internet.

King

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I'm not disregarding the story.
Disregarding would look like me not posting to the thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

So your not disregarding the story, yet the source(s) provided aren't credible enough for you. Isn't that rather contradictory

King

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Here's a good joke.

What's the difference between Nelson Mandela and a British police officer?

Nelson Mandela had a sense of humour.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So many brush things like this off as something casual, something fluke. What you are witnessing right before your eyes is the death of America, the death of free speech and the death of a Constitution that was supposed to stop things like this from happening.

It's very easy to do, some basic research about human perception, attention spans and manipulation will educate you just how easy it is to dupe people who have been trained since birth to accept what they are told and believe what is said by those on television.

The US has some of the best people in the world spewing propaganda on an epic scale to sell the American people on the thought that all of this Stallanistic, jack boot authoritarian action is for their own good because there are a bunch of crazy out of control Americans who still think that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights still hold water, those crazy bastards!

This is evidence, concrete evidence that the regime that used to be the US government has lost all respect for our Constitution and has committed themselves to unlawful behavior. What else could it be?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Didn't this occur in England?

England doesn't have the Bill of Rights or 1st amendment protection. Not that it means much in the US anymore either, but I assume they have different standards of 'free speech' in England and Europe.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Is Staffordshire in the US? Brits don't have a constitution protecting free speech like the US does.

CJ

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join