It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

(Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin tightened his control over Russia's media on Monday by dissolving the main state news agency and replacing it with an organization that is to promote Moscow's image abroad.

The move to abolish RIA Novosti and create a news agency to be known as Rossiya Segodnya is the second in two weeks strengthening Putin's hold on the media as he tries to reassert his authority after protests against his rule.

Most Russian media outlets are already loyal to Putin, and opponents get little air time, but the shake-up underlined their importance to Putin keeping power and the Kremlin's concern about the president's ratings and image.

Putin dissolves state news agency

It appears that Russian leader Putin has dissolved the state news agency.

It almost looks like this was a message to the other Russian news agencies that unwavering support of Putin is a requirement to stay in business. I am not sure what is happening here, but it seems to me that Russia is devolving as a free country.

(Then again, it also seems that America is devolving as a free country...)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

Why is there a "State News Agency" anyway? Isn't that like saying that in England people should get their news from the "10 Downing Street News Agency"?

Russia is in need of a new revival. It's been almost 25 years since the last mostly-peaceful full-scale change in Russia, and with the positive media attention Putin has gotten for some of his international moves, I'd hope he'd move more in that direction in his own country.

Apparently RT is being left alone, but maybe that has changed in the time since this has been written. From the OP's source:

The Kremlin already funds an English-language TV channel called RT which was initially known as Russia Today. It is not clear whether the two will operate separately and RT's head, Margarita Simonyan, said she had been unaware of the move.

edit on 9-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
And apparently I am the only one who finds this concerning?

This marks a return to cold-war like activities that former Presidents had helped to all but eradicate.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

For all intents and purposes, the people in England do get their news spoon fed to them from the government - the BBC =

The BBC is a semi-autonomous public service broadcaster that operates under a Royal Charter and a Licence and Agreement from the Home Secretary. Within the United Kingdom its work is funded principally by an annual television licence fee, which is charged to all British households, companies and organisations using any type of equipment to receive live television broadcasts; the level of the fee is set annually by the British Government and agreed by Parliament.

The BBC is like PBS on steroids.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
And apparently I am the only one who finds this concerning?

This marks a return to cold-war like activities that former Presidents had helped to all but eradicate.

No, it is concerning. But to be honest, it doesn't feel as draconian as it would if the internet and other media haven't made their way into Russian society. If Putin or any strongman wants to control the media they will probably find it's not as easy as it would have been 25 years ago. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press are hard critters to keep at bay in a technological world. That said, I hope that the people of Russia - at least its young people - carry their society into the future with those freedoms taking precedence over the thoughts of the few in control.

And basically, maybe this is an immediate action to what's happening in the Ukraine, which has to have Putin biting his nails and taking some of his celebrated swims to work off the tension.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I don't find that at all, I find them quite critical of our government sometimes.
Although I get my news on ATS mostly I do read the BBC site because it is a lot better than most Major news sites. (You know the Murdoch owned owns).
The licence is a double edged sword...no ads but recently they put ads for BBC stuff.
edit on 9-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I think any state-run propaganda machine is bad news - just look at msnbc! lol

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Not to worry. Ed Snowden’s keeping a watchful eye on all this...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
The BBC is like PBS on steroids.

Spot on!
I wont allow their claptrap into my life anymore, not even their radio.
Anyone remember what they (bbc and gubment) did to radio caroline and the free stations we used to have?
First they labeled them as "Pirate" stations.
Then they broadcast an annoying whistle on the same frequencies as the "pirate" stations.
Then they physicaly attacked the pirate stations.
Then they CHANGED THE LAWS so that they could tow them away!!

And it wasn't because the "Pirates" were broadcasting anything bad, well, actually they did, they promoted Peace and Love!!!! [sarcasm]
The real problem was that the British public weren't receiving their daily dose of bbc propaganda because they were all listening to the peace and love stations. That WAS the problem!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

boymonkey74

I don't find that at all, I find them quite critical of our government sometimes.

If they were never critical their bias would be obvious, its all part of the deception. Are they digging really deep into the allegations of child abuse by seniors within government?? Nope!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

netbound
Not to worry. Ed Snowden’s keeping a watchful eye on all this...

Not sure Mr. Leaky will be able to help on this one.

Though I did hear that only 10% of his stuff was actually published... I wonder what the other 90 is!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So now Russia is at it and joined 'The Club'.........ho hum....or have I misunderstood....it's late
Rainbows
Jane
edit on 9-12-2013 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Do they try and put parties into power? sorry I will take the BBC over any Murdoch run newspaper,news channel.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by VoidHawk

Do they try and put parties into power? sorry I will take the BBC over any Murdoch run newspaper,news channel.

On that I will agree.

The America propaganda machine is pathetic because they don't have the Cahones to actually admit to what they are doing on the news channels.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Plus the BBC doesn't hack the phones of a murdered girls parents (Milly Dowler).
Back to the OP Putin is up to something, maybe it is to do with what is happening in the Ukraine I dunno.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well in Russia the government goes and does it in the face of everybody to show how much they are still in control.

Rather than in the US that our news media are owned by those that controls the corporate dictatorship and spoon feed news accordingly to agendas, after all people forgot that Fox have middle eastern ownership all over, due to who owns the most stocks in the company, just like any other big monopoly news media, Americas news are not really owned by Americans anymore, even when those companies behind them call themselves American.

The irony.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
In Russia, Media owns and lies to you. In America, Media lies to you and tries to sell you crap.

So, where are all the bleeding hearts over sensorship yadda yadda blah blah blah?

Sips his coffee.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Fox news is mostly owned by an Aussie Murdoch.
But some prince is the second major shareholder.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes you are right,

Who Owns The Media? Industry Giants, Saudi Princes and Australian Robber Barons.

Here is a breakdown of the "Liberal" media ownership By Corporations. Next Read Who Owns the "Conservative Media".

www.whoownsthenews.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

SLAYER69
In Russia, Media owns and lies to you. In America, Media lies to you and tries to sell you crap.

So, where are all the bleeding hearts over sensorship yadda yadda blah blah blah?

Sips his coffee.

In America people own media... In Soviet Russia, media own people! (In best Yakoff Smirnoff voice).

I do have to admire that under this president we have, we have seen personal freedoms grow in Russia and relationships improve significantly between our two countries... Wait a minute, whoops... Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join