It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lousy, profiteering, no-good, swindling and unethical textbook company swine and their rigged exams!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So, there I was, minding my own business, under the respectable awning of a library, cheerfully clicking and clacking away at an essay for Communications. Fine. I can do that. I like writing, really.

I finish it up, and move on to a computerized multiple choice exam for speech. Now, I consider myself to be a decent orator, someone who can write well, and understand the concepts. I've been paying attention in class...

I do the exam, most of the questions are answerable, but some of them, there's two answers that both fit the question asked. Now, they don't accept both answers. Nope! They only accept the one in the book that they wrote and designed the test for. My professor's good, but we don't really learn from the book, and not in the specific wording that they wrote it in.

I ended up getting a 72. I worked for three hours the day before working on an optional essay to raise my grade up from the LAST RIGGED ESSAY THESE CHEATING, MAMMON WORSHIPPING, PRICE GOUGING AND WORTHLESS TEXTBOOK SALESMEN DREAMED UP.

Karma will get them though. Those student exploiting corporate swine-os who wrote the book and test ought to go swimming with some cement flippers on, and a life jacket filled with lead sinkers...

God, I am just furious right now.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I am right there with you buddy. Same thing too, speech class and speech book. I also really enjoy paying 89 bucks for a textbook that isn't even bound and just comes in a plastic wrap. Meaning you have to purchase a binder (no biggie) but...BUT.. you cannot sell it back to the store. I guess printing unbound books makes it cheaper for them as well as easier to change to a new book more often. Eventually all books will be purchases via appstores or from websites as a digital form. I think the textbook companies know this and know that they will eventually have to lower their prices so they are getting as much from the students while they still can.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

I have a question? (I feel your pain...I just got my whole hell week ...finals..rearranged and learned less than an hour ago, due to the snow this weekend)

You say Professor...so it's University? Are the tests from a text book or are they made by the school? I'm just surprised because everything where I'm at is generated by the school itself for testing. The books are followed to different levels (some fanatically) depending on the course...but tests are always generated by Faculty or Department process? The Finals, in fact, are constantly redone and redesigned (Faculty isn't shy about voicing their thoughts on that..lol)

In fact, one of the courses I took was specifically for how to approach, study for and take modern college tests. (College Studies..they call it..but it's a 'how to out-think the process and win' primer)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just a quick question about finals in the USA..are they all multiple choice?
Anyhow good luck dude, don't get too mad about it and remember to relax

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by myartisstrong

Well, I couldn't afford the book, and when I could, the material in the class wasn't much to do with it!

The final speech has nothing to do with it...

The class is cool, we learn things from the teacher and various historical speeches... Along with this exam, we have a final group speech about the death penalty. Ha-HA-HAh-HAArdy HAR, the speech is due on my birthday.

The exam was due on the same day, but it's an online one, so you could take it any time from like, last month to now.

So, this exam, is it about what we learn in the class?! NO! IT'S JUST THE BOOK.

IT'S JUST ALL BASED OFF THE BOOK! And the book is shoddy, not all that informative or charismatically written for a BOOK SUPPOSED TO SPEAK TEACHINGF CLASS.

Just, some textbook company owners deserve to eat broken glass. That's all I'm not saying someone should make them do it. They should do it as the Japanese of olden days used to commit hari-kari.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Just a quick question about finals in the USA..are they all multiple choice?
Anyhow good luck dude, don't get too mad about it and remember to relax

They vary on mine. When I was in GDT, the Final was literally drawing a picture for one course. In conventional classes? It's a real mix on this.... My history final is 6 short answer (1-2 paragraph answers) questions. My Advanced Excel course is 50 multi-choicers and no hands on work (every other test had projects to build with full function to pass..not the final). Math isn't even funny and they just sell their sense of humor before joining the Dept or something...they enjoy our pain. Anthro ...well...I'll find out when I get there Wednesday...and I'll leave that there. (grumble)

So it's always different..past semesters, same thing. Depends on the course and the instructor. Some departments give discretion for that and some give none where I attend.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
some career fields require you to take exams following training or as a result of possible raises due to seniority, and they have psychologists write the tests to make them as hard to answer as possible. you end up having to perform algebraic equations on them, just to determine if they want a positive or negative response lol

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's all been speeches. Various speeches, persuasive, informative, commemorative, things like that. And I've done pretty good on them. Screwed up the citation, but I acknowledge that as my fault.

BUT THIS LOUSY GODLESS TEXTBOOK COMPANY CREATED TEST IS just some repugnant profit-mongering mandatory thing that goes along with the text in the class textbook.

I can't half thing straight, I'm so hopping mad. I worked so hard trying to bring my grade up from the lack of MLA citations and the last exam's rigged garbage. THREE HOURS WRITING A SPEECH ABOUT KENNEDY, NOT COUNTING RESEARCH TIME...

And it's pointless. Might as well not have done it. Except it's a really good speech about Jack Kennedy, so there's that. BUT I HAD TO TURN IT IN AT THE "TURNITIN" website and now THEY own it.

I realize, I am typing like a crazy person. I acknowledge that. But this is so infuriating.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

And furthermore, why should an online company own my essays and speeches in order to "prevent plagiarism"? I'm a writer, not an unethical type like those book manufacturers. I shouldn't have to sign a policy agreement that they now own what I've written because I turned it in as part of a mandatory plagiarism check, which by the way, came up negative. I wrote that thing in my own words like a work of art. It took me hours. Now, that grade, completely cancelled out. Can't even share the speech with you folks, because then, it'd turn up positive for plagiarism because turnitin scans the entire web.

This whole scholastic industry is becoming increasingly unethical.

new topics

top topics

join