It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Butts Banned In Illinois: Minimum $1,500 Fine to Anyone Who Throws a Butt On the Ground

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Well, if they made the fines small, smokers would just ignore them..

And to be honest with you, I don't appreciate the crap that's in cigarettes being discarded all over the place..

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco, and other places they are found:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Naphthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

It's not like they're throwing a apple core on the ground...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

jhn7537
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well, I don't want to be voted out of the union. Don't judge the citizens because we have a smaller scale of our US Govt. within the state of Illinois...

You know the slogan, "Too big too fail"

Well we have one here in Illinois "To effffed to fix"

The citizens voted that system in.
Who else DO we blame?

Same as in America. When I look around and see it screwed up, i blame everyone who voted for a D or an R in the last 30 years. That is who I blame.

Hey, I live in a blue state, I vote red (majority of time), I constantly lose.... So its not me voting in Pat Quinn or jokers like that

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Yeah, because apple cores contain cyanide.

Can't have that stuff getting loose in nature!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

Ok, how about orange peels?? I'm sure we will find something soon if we run down the list of fruits and veggies

Apple seeds do contain a small amount of cyanide, which is a lethal poison, but you are protected from the toxin by the hard seed coating. If you eat whole apple seeds, they pass through your digestive system relatively untouched. If you chew the seeds thoroughly, you will be exposed to the chemicals inside the seeds, but the dose of toxins in an apple is small enough that your body can easily detoxify it.
edit on 9-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

jhn7537

bigfatfurrytexan

jhn7537

Well, I don't want to be voted out of the union. Don't judge the citizens because we have a smaller scale of our US Govt. within the state of Illinois...

The citizens voted that system in.
Who else DO we blame?

Same as in America. When I look around and see it screwed up, i blame everyone who voted for a D or an R in the last 30 years. That is who I blame.

Hey, I live in a blue state, I vote red (majority of time), I constantly lose.... So its not me voting in Pat Quinn or jokers like that

The downside of being a conservative in Illinios is that your area is the majority of the landmass of the state, but the denizens of Chicago have more voters.

That sucks for you guys.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

Can the rest of the US just vote Illinois out of the union?

If there is a law that can be made to raise revenue focusing on irrelevant and unneccessary BS, you will find Illinios, NY, and California fighting over who gets to enact it first.

What happened to real American values? If you don't like someone flicking out their butts, then tell them. Punch them in the nose if need be. But this pansy assed, passive aggressive nonsense of passing laws has got to be the most embarrassing aspect of modern civilization.

Grow some balls America. Talk to each other. And quit writing goddamned laws.
edit on 9-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

If we catch people stealing, can we cut off their hands?
If we suspect our womenfolk are cheating, how about a good old fashioned public stoning! Bring the family and your own rocks...
I'll bet you are a big proponant of the death penalty as well...or state sponsored killing.
Whatever happened to "state's rights
" to pass their own laws?
Personally, I like the idea of less fire. And...punching a random stranger is known as assault kn all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Wouldnt advise that

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It really does suck and is extremely frustrating.. My county is primarily republican, well, the majority around chicago is... I remember when the first election for Obama was happening in my state I overheard numerous minorities state that they were voting for Obama because he was black. Not because of policy or anything like that......sigh...

Voter cards should be revoked if you don't understand what you're voting for... Just my two cents

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

jhn7537

ROFL!! Too Effed to fix. Beautiful.. and appropriate.
Being a "foreigner" to Illinois.. never lived here before now, its really easy to see what a truly fubar this place is. From city level upward. Its as if criminality and corruption are accepted here. I felt I couldnt be a part of it all in good conscience. Things that people simply wouldnt believe me concerning actually happen here. Not joking, Ill take a hit on my investments to leave this place. Ive joked before on ATS that if you want to know whats beng done in Washington, look at Illinois. What happens here is like a forewarning to the whole damned country of whats coming on a federal level.

This state is dysfunctional in the truest sense of the word. So you all keep praising all of the nitpicking laws you want... makes my head spin at the idea that we NEED more laws and more financial penalties for everything to fund this ravenous beast of a govt in Illinois. I happen to be able to function in daily life without having my every move legislated...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

Now that is just silly...
It's too Hard to light an apple on fire and then toss it out of a moving car for it to be added to the list. We should punch it instead like good American values dictate and make it into pie.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

you think thats bad, wait for Hillary!

shes got lady boobs!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by jhn7537

shes got lady boobs!

I'm going to take an 8-year ambien.... Please wake me up once it's all over...

And it's funny how the democrats are trying to end term-limits for President's... Such a scary concept if you ask me...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

You are right, but really, what difference can it possibly make anyway?

Corps control america, it really doesnt matter whos name is on the presidential door at the time.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

the owlbear

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

It's too Hard to light an apple on fire and then toss it out of a moving car for it to be added to the list. We should punch it instead like good American values dictate and make it into pie.

You need a bigger torch.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by jhn7537

shes got lady boobs!

Hitlery....pfffeh.
Don't like Barry?
You're a racist.
Don't like Hitlery?
You're a sexist.
Then again if you like them, you're an idiot so it's lose-lose.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Do you think this could fall under the 8th amendment for "Cruel and Unusual Punishment"?

I'm a few credits shy of my law degree
so I don't know if this could fall under that, but I'm sure the first person charged with a felony for cigarette butts will likely appeal it all the way up to the Illinois Supreme Court...

You know.. I got to thinking about this a bit. It's not like they are really going to be out busting Jon Q and getting excited to see it's his 4th pop for a felony. That's not realistic, even in Illinois. They do have some real work to do, I'm sure.

So..I got to thinking..When would this absurd thing be used...WHY write it in? Then it hit me, given some past experiences in life..

Let's say you're a Chicago cop during something like the NATO Summit and those Occupy people just piss you off. Well... 1 ciggie...(ticket and a smile)... 2 ciggie (bigger ticket..bigger smile) ..(Occupy is wondering what the smiles are about by now).. 3rd ciggie tossed over a matter of days.. Well, now the cops act like they're about to inherit the Hughes fortune or something...

...4th ciggie to get tossed by the Occupy protester they picked to be the first example? 'Welcome to Cook County, Mr. Inmate! You've just won...don't throw that butt!...here, let me help you with the shiny new bracelets you didn't even know you were earning'.

Oh yeah.. I can see how the extremes of this could be wickedly useful to some departments and units where "proper" ...is what other people do.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

the owlbear

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

You need a bigger torch.

Woke up on the wrong side of the tire swing today?
I was just ribbing you earlier...it is a shame we have to pass laws, but I am afraid that is due to de-evolution of independent thought brought to you by the advertising companies who found that simple minds are easily swayed into believing the absurd as long as they are reassured they are "right".
Ah...too early for deep thoughts...and too sober.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Interesting theory.
It certainly would give the long (somewhat gimpy) arm of the law even greater latitude when curtailing the rights of the citizenry who speak out against The State.
I'm sure the revenue generation doesn't hurt but to be solely a money grab scheme seems a bit short sighted for TPTB. Their normal solutions are mutli-tiered and always strike on more than one front. Most people will only see the $1500 fine and not be able to see past the punative measure to the very core of it's reason for legislation.
You've inspired me to look into this curiosity with greater diligence.

-Peace-
edit on 9-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Altered Sentiment

edit on 9-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 9-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

jhn7537

Do you think this could fall under the 8th amendment for "Cruel and Unusual Punishment"?

I'm a few credits shy of my law degree
so I don't know if this could fall under that, but I'm sure the first person charged with a felony for cigarette butts will likely appeal it all the way up to the Illinois Supreme Court...

You know.. I got to thinking about this a bit. It's not like they are really going to be out busting Jon Q and getting excited to see it's his 4th pop for a felony. That's not realistic, even in Illinois. They do have some real work to do, I'm sure.

So..I got to thinking..When would this absurd thing be used...WHY write it in? Then it hit me, given some past experiences in life..

Let's say you're a Chicago cop during something like the NATO Summit and those Occupy people just piss you off. Well... 1 ciggie...(ticket and a smile)... 2 ciggie (bigger ticket..bigger smile) ..(Occupy is wondering what the smiles are about by now).. 3rd ciggie tossed over a matter of days.. Well, now the cops act like they're about to inherit the Hughes fortune or something...

...4th ciggie to get tossed by the Occupy protester they picked to be the first example? 'Welcome to Cook County, Mr. Inmate! You've just won...don't throw that butt!...here, let me help you with the shiny new bracelets you didn't even know you were earning'.

Oh yeah.. I can see how the extremes of this could be wickedly useful to some departments and units where "proper" ...is what other people do.

The Occupy protester would have to be sitting in their car throwing them out the window...the bill is targeting MOTORISTS (sorry for the caps, man, forgive me). If this were about people walking around...yeah, I'd be on your side in saying this is extreme and probably a way to get homeless people away from parks.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

the owlbear

bigfatfurrytexan

the owlbear

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by jhn7537

You need a bigger torch.

Woke up on the wrong side of the tire swing today?
I was just ribbing you earlier...it is a shame we have to pass laws, but I am afraid that is due to de-evolution of independent thought brought to you by the advertising companies who found that simple minds are easily swayed into believing the absurd as long as they are reassured they are "right".
Ah...too early for deep thoughts...and too sober.

Well, i tried levity. It didn't work on you, though.
I had thought about talking about punching an owl and a bear, but thought you might see that as aggressive. LOL

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

jhn7537

It really does suck and is extremely frustrating.. My county is primarily republican, well, the majority around chicago is... I remember when the first election for Obama was happening in my state I overheard numerous minorities state that they were voting for Obama because he was black. Not because of policy or anything like that......sigh...

Voter cards should be revoked if you don't understand what you're voting for... Just my two cents

I overheard caucasian appearing people say they were NOT voting for Obama for the same reason. Funny, eh? Biggs is right. The only thing that changes is the furniture in the White House...the banks and corps run the show outwardly and unabashedly now.
Loving the healthy exchange here...good show of manners and decorum. I think I will hand out some more stars...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join