It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Butts Banned In Illinois: Minimum $1,500 Fine to Anyone Who Throws a Butt On the Ground

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by jhn7537

beezzer adding Illinois to the list of states he will never visit. . . . .

See, now my state has done it... They have gotten so extreme that Beezer won't come here now

I do question, yearly, why I've lived here my whole life... I know there's better places out there, but for some odd reason I stick it out here with all the BS my state constantly shells out..

link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Personally, I put my Cig's out and put them in the trash , if there is no ashtray. I don't know what is so hard about that. My partner, most of the time, just drops em and steps on em. I do not get it. There are also toxins in Cig's that you don't want to get into the storm drains. It is VERY rare for me to just drop, step, and walk away.

Here in LA county there are places like Glendale, where you can not even smoke in YOUR CAR and the sidewalks in town have No Smoking signs posted around every 75 feet. Some laws are too extreme. I am a respectful (and soon hopefully ex) smoker. I always make sure that I stand far away from people not smoking as possible.

edit on 9-12-2013 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

link   

the owlbear
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If you're dumb enough to get caught for the same thing 3 times...
I don't feel sorry. Everyone messes up. But three times isn't simple absent mindedness, it is idiocy.

Putting a man in a prison cell for a piece of paper and fiber filter, blowing across concrete...is idiocy. Dropping there in the first place is self centered and ignorant...but we have a nation of it, and always have to different degrees.

Ignorance didn't used to be punishable up to multiple years in a prison cell. It still isn't in most states..and most states, when they DO elevate a simple offense for multiple times? It's worded NO MORE than 1 year. This worded just the opposite, in what I don't often see for small crap like this one. "NO LESS THAN 1 year". Well... Nice of them to insure a Judge never lets a dangerous criminal like that walk with less.

** On the matter of "They'd never!..." ...The same thing was said about California's 3 Strike law. They'd never..it was said...bag someone for Life in Prison w/o Parole over a shoplifting charge or other relatively petty offense ...yet it has and DOES happen when that happened to be offense #3. I don't ever say..never..when they write it to be possible.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

Very nice to hear that you're considering quitting. I hope it works out for you and you're able to kick the habit for good!

The whole not being able to smoke in your car law by you is crazy. I figured, in your own property you should be all good, but I guess that's not the case.... Pretty crazy if you ask me

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I have to wonder, if this is happening in Illinois now, how long until all the other states follow? And I also wonder how the cigarette lobbyists on K-street allowed this to even pass. Maybe their pockets aren't as deep as they once were, because I'm seeing more and more anti-cigarette discussions popping up, from increased taxes, to this story. Maybe that day will be here sooner than later than bans cigarettes due to all the toxins within them and the death sentence they create if abused long enough...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

did you really mean to type that?

Litter is one thing, litter ON FIRE is somthing completely different!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

That is a good question on other states, and I don't mind seeing big tobacco become a wee bit smaller either. If it doesn't come by force of Government action (principle thing for me), then it won't break my heart to see those corps just blow away from lack of demand some day. Less people will die hard, to be sure.

I don't know how the tide has turned so strongly, Tobacco is basically on the run hard in our nation. I understand our tobacco companies are finding plenty of market share elsewhere in the world ..which is pretty despicable in my view, but that's for their nations to deal with allowing import of, I suppose.

You know what kinda gets me on things like this, isn't the penalties (short of jail..that is absurd any way it's sliced). It's the singling out of ONE kind of litter over another. Take a trip out to your interstate highway sometime if your an American. If you're along a busy one, stop on the side of the On-Ramp (or often, Off-Ramp side too), and park on the shoulder. Look over the edge of your exit ramp...close to home..and almost anywhere in this nation today.

See those plastic bottles full of....lemonade? It ain't lemonade. See those bags of fudge? It ain't fudge....and it's all over. That's the bathroom for rude pigs...many happen to drive trucks...when they can't bother dealing with it privately....

...and when I think of litter, and see penalties like this for a cigarette butt? I think of REAL litter..and REAL offense where that's concerned...and think we need to simply say *ALL* litter carries a devastating financial penalty. Period. Butt, pee bottle or junk mail flyer. Say..... $2,500. No escalation. Just $2,500...each PIECE...dropped.

I'd pity the fools who dropped a bag full of fast food out the window ....or... an ashtray of butts at once. (evil laugh) they'd be paying that fine into retirement, as young people. It'd serve them right too.....and applied equally? Not singling out for petty publicity points on a new law? I'd have no problem with it either.

edit on 9-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I spend a few months a year in central Illinois with family, but the laws there are fast changing to rake in state revenue. Fines, taxes, licensing fees, etc, etc.... all skyrocketing over the last 12 years. The law completely ignores the offenses of state officials. It's a DC mini me.
Beautiful country there but I keep my home state as Texas.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

the owlbear

If you're dumb enough to get caught for the same thing 3 times...
I don't feel sorry. Everyone messes up. But three times isn't simple absent mindedness, it is idiocy.

Putting a man in a prison cell for a piece of paper and fiber filter, blowing across concrete...is idiocy. Dropping there in the first place is self centered and ignorant...but we have a nation of it, and always have to different degrees.

Ignorance didn't used to be punishable up to multiple years in a prison cell. It still isn't in most states..and most states, when they DO elevate a simple offense for multiple times? It's worded NO MORE than 1 year. This worded just the opposite, in what I don't often see for small crap like this one. "NO LESS THAN 1 year". Well... Nice of them to insure a Judge never lets a dangerous criminal like that walk with less.

** On the matter of "They'd never!..." ...The same thing was said about California's 3 Strike law. They'd never..it was said...bag someone for Life in Prison w/o Parole over a shoplifting charge or other relatively petty offense ...yet it has and DOES happen when that happened to be offense #3. I don't ever say..never..when they write it to be possible.

Had to move to this godforsaken state due to work ( Mil base) and leaving as soon as possible. The husband will drive an hour from Missouri just to get out of Illinois. I quit working at the PAs office due to the insanity. Reading about the laws and crap they do here is one thing, living it is another thing. They DOUBLE tax us for road maintenance, they require occupancy permits which gives them the right to walk in the house without notice, gotta have a FOID card if you have ANY firearm in your home, ammo purchase tracking, you name it.. Illinois does it. NEVER say "they'd never".. they DO. They HAVE. They WILL.

Then again, as soon as they keep the judges in my county off Heroin, Ill feel more comfortable with them handing our sentences. Just recently we had a judge overdose on the heroin he got from a probie officer.. and this guy was handing out drug sentences! Think theyd comb through his cases? Nahhhhh... theyd NEVER do that.

Illinois is a complete failure on every level. Every law they enact, you better look at and consider the worst possible insane case.. cause thats what WILL happen.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

jhn7537
A law was recently passed in Illinois that I can get behind.

The new law states:

CHICAGO - Starting next year, Illinois law enforcement will not only be ticketing you for failure to wear a seatbelt or illegal use of a cell phone while driving, they'll also be stopping motorists who flick cigarette butts out their windows.

With former Democrat State Rep. Deb Mell's bill HB 3243 now law, flicking butts will cost you. A first time conviction is a class B misdemeanor with a fine not exceeding $1,500. A second conviction is a class A misdemeanor with a fine not exceeding $1,500.

Third or subsequent convictions will be a class 4 felony, punishable by a fine of $25,000 and imprisonment not less than one year and not more than three years.

According to the national lobbying organization Americans for Nonsmokers Rights, cigarette butts are "the most commonly discarded pieces of waste worldwide," with an estimated 1.69 billion pounds of butts ending up as toxic waste every year. The new amendment to Illinois's Litter Control Act, HB 3243, advocates that cigarette butts are a dangerous form of litter for the environment.

Some believe this is just another Govt. ploy to help increase fines. I'll say this, if they follow through with giving out fines to offenders this could be a cash cow...

As a non smoker I can get behind this law. It honestly bothers me seeing the amount of cigarette butts you find on the ground today. I throw out my trash always, why can't smokers do the same thing instead of throwing them on the ground? Cigarettes are nasty things that are filled with known toxins, littering them around has to have some affect on the land. I know smokers are bothered with the increased taxes on cigarettes and that they're not allowed to smoke in commercial buildings like bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. and now they need to worry about huge fines for one cigarette butt, but ultimately this is a good thing and hopefully more people quit putting those toxins in their body...

Would other ATS members welcome this new law to their state? If you're a smoker do you find this excessive?

Source

edit on 9-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

Good! I'm a smoker, and throwing cigarette butts on the ground is littering, lazy and irresponsible. I'd hazard a guess that smokers have ashtrays in thier home, and don't throw thier butts on thier floor at home. It's not difficult to butt the cigarette under your shoe and discard the organic end, and keep the filter end for disposal in a bin. Cash cow?...fine for laziness, irresponsibility and littering, I say. Don't wanna get fined...don't lazily, irresponsibly throw your cigarette butts on the ground.

Å99

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Afternoon,

Great.
So what do we do now?
Start extinguishing butts on the homeless?
Screw Illinois.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Thanks for responding! It's great getting that perspective from a smoker. Great to hear that there are smokers actually okay with this law. I figured the majority would be pissed about it.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by the owlbear

did you really mean to type that?

Litter is one thing, litter ON FIRE is somthing completely different!

Yeah, I did. And you're right, litter ON FIRE is different than its nonburning counterpart.
Hence, I see nothing wrong with larger fines for butts which may or may not be extinguished when casually tossed to the wayside. Fire, bad...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Eryiedes
Afternoon,

Great.
So what do we do now?
Screw Illinois.

-Peace-

Uh-oh...I hope the teenage ATS set haven't just heard the greatest fad to come along since the knockout game...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

the owlbear

Eryiedes
Afternoon,

Great.
So what do we do now?
Screw Illinois.

-Peace-

Uh-oh...I hope the teenage ATS set haven't just heard the greatest fad to come along since the knockout game...

Instead of the knock out game...it's the butt out game.
Ask someone for the time and when they check their watch, put the thing out on the person's fore....then pray they don't have a gun.

-Peace-
edit on 9-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Sarcasm

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Can the rest of the US just vote Illinois out of the union?

If there is a law that can be made to raise revenue focusing on irrelevant and unneccessary BS, you will find Illinios, NY, and California fighting over who gets to enact it first.

What happened to real American values? If you don't like someone flicking out their butts, then tell them. Punch them in the nose if need be. But this pansy assed, passive aggressive nonsense of passing laws has got to be the most embarrassing aspect of modern civilization.

Grow some balls America. Talk to each other. And quit writing goddamned laws.
edit on 9-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

If you were to potentially cause a roadside or forest fire THREE TIMES it isn't cause for a more extreme action? This is about throwing butts out of vehicles. On fire or not (most of the ones I see tossed are, night is a great time to tell if something is on fire), it is irresponsible and a potential threat. Mother Nature might do her share with lightning...but that doesn't mean people need to help in burning stuff just so they can keep their vehicle one butt less dirty. Getting caught three times. Maybe people will think twice before doing it ONCE.
Smokey always said "Only you can prevent forest fires". And yes, sorry to all of you kind folk trapped in the cesspool we know as Illinois. New Jersey of the Midwest!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I too agree that the fines are a little excessive

A little excessive? A little? Wow what do you guys do to a shoplifter, put them in a gas chamber?

This is a ridiculous fine for the offense. Just another way for the state to make money, label people criminals and even keep the prison industrial complex running.

BTW I don't smoke cigarettes and now will never pass through that state. I'll drive around it, thanks for the .s up.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well, I don't want to be voted out of the union. Don't judge the citizens because we have a smaller scale of our US Govt. within the state of Illinois...

You know the slogan, "Too big too fail"

Well we have one here in Illinois "To effffed to fix"

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well, I don't want to be voted out of the union. Don't judge the citizens because we have a smaller scale of our US Govt. within the state of Illinois...

You know the slogan, "Too big too fail"

Well we have one here in Illinois "To effffed to fix"

The citizens voted that system in.
Who else DO we blame?

Same as in America. When I look around and see it screwed up, i blame everyone who voted for a D or an R in the last 30 years. That is who I blame.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join