It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washing machine drama!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Our washing machine thought in its wisdom would stop working in that the drum wouldn't spin at all. We thought to get someone in to look at it but once paying for a call out plus parts, we thought it best just to get a new one instead.
Guy came today and fitted and plumbed in the new one and as he was taking the old one out, I noticed the belt for the drum on the floor! Turns out it had expanded and just needed a new one which costs hardly anything! If I had only checked we could have saved ourselves a small fortune! We really thought it was beyond repair as we had one many years ago when the drum was completely broken.
Too late to get them to to take the new one away but you live and learn I suppose.
Wife nagging me now for not checking first but I can't win, at least she has a new one which she can work this time!
Will just need to belt up and hold my tongue I suppose if you pardon the pun

edit on 9-12-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
yip life's a bitch davy stick a new belt on it and sell it on gumtree or demand your 7 day money back guarantee from where you bought it another bill you did not need at this time of year

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Or you colul'd do what this guy did and get a laugh out of it www.wimp.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Naaargh! That's annoying! Once the belt goes once though, it usually starts pinging off all the time.
At least you've saved yourself the bother of endless repairmen.

Ouch though, this near Christmas x

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Your experience is typical today. The days of the shade tree mechanic have been eliminated by autos too complicated to mess with without a computer being hooked up to them to ascertain the problem. The same with appliances. Nobody repairs a microwave anymore, it is not cost effective. You pitch the old one and buy a new one. Anything that has an electronic board installed in it these days is going to be very expensive to fix if that board or the DC motor goes out, and there are few ways to give even a general diagnosis in order to make a decision about to fix or buy.

However, there are simple steps to take on any of these common appliances that can save hundreds of dollars. The most common problems with washers is that the (inexpensive) water valve leaks water into the unit, or the machine motor runs and nothing is moving which may denote a (inexpensive) belt problem. the same with a clothes dryer (usually a belt). A microwave has a two-dollar fuse that can blow and make it completely dead.

Probably, the best advice for the inept household fixer is to run to the internet and spend some time searching out the particular problem with your faulty unit. The old days of having a buddy over to check out or even fix your problem are long gone. But somebody out there can help. Basically, use your new resources, the internet.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

guy took old machine away and plumbed it in for no charge. could have done without this at this time of year though....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Hi Davy...Arrrrgggg don't worry about it. If you had replaced the belt and it would have blown up, You would have got the blame
...At least you have clean underpants now

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Honestly, YOUTUBE is awesome. My partner and I have fixed our dryer 2x using Youtube, That saved us allot of money. Though our Washer went out the day before Thanksgiving and we ended up having to get a new one because it was the Clutch on the washer Which we found out using Youtube. The new washer is GREAT, we got a Black Friday deal.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

very true. jusd had my 4th wash on lol wife not went near it yet. but shes doing all the ironing or im going on strike

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Always check for the simple things first.

Then call someone who knows more

if all else fails buy a new one.

I give people a filter conversion for their Vick's Filter free Cool Mist Humidifier along with other instructions.

edit on 9-12-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

Or you colul'd do what this guy did and get a laugh out of it www.wimp.com...

I gotta try that.
WMD

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

That is the first thing you should check if there is a little knock or if it doesn't spin. Most machines have easy belts to change, but I have heard of a couple that are hard to change. It usually takes about a half hour but most of that is taking loose the washer and reattaching it to the plumbing. Good time to put new screens in the hoses also.

Isn't it surprising how much junk under the washer when you move it

edit on 9-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

we had a washing machine many years ago and i found a wire kept burning out every so often and kept replacing it. my late mother had a top of the range one that cost a small fortune and the electronics in it gave up the ghost and it would have been cheaper to buy another but she paid to get it sorted.
i couldnt lift mine because i have a weak arm due to something yet to be diagnosed so might have found it was just the belt.
still. you live and learn i suppose. these days if something breaks down. its usually the case just to replace it than sort it but i could have sorted it myself thats annoying me...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The new appliances are designed to last about seven years. Ask any salesman in the store how long they last. They aren't lying, they want people to know how long they last so the customers will return to the store. It doesn't seem to be tied to price either, the salesman said expensive ones die about the same time...buy cheap they told me. I know some of these people so they tell me the truth. The others tell you the truth about the life expectancies also IF YOU ASK.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

scotsdavy1
at least she has a new one which she can work this time!

Hmmm. So she COULDN'T work the old one, but she CAN work the new one. Seems to me this is a win for your side, buddy.

I use a similar technique on shop tools. My wife says we have to do a certain project, so I say, "OK, but that will require a router, dear."

So I get a new router! :-)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

well the guys delivering it removed all the packaging, plumbed it in, then lifted it to take out then i noticed the belt on the floor. couldnt just tell them to not take away old one etc as it was all paid for. annoying things dont last like they used to do these days. most times you dont even get a warning before something goes. our micro wave just stopped working last year for no reason so had to buy a new one. read about a qualified guy who tried to sort one and died because he forgot to unplug it first. dead as a door nail....

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

yes but she cant work my remote for the tv, sat etc so win win for me

nice one with the router

edit on 10-12-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Our microwave died about three or so years ago. It smoked up the kitchen. It was about six years old. My brother bought the same super microwave about a month after we did and his smoked his kitchen up about two months after ours did. That is pretty good death dating. He bought a new one and it lasted two weeks before catching on fire. The one he got as a replacement seems to work all right. We didn't get a new microwave, we opted out of that technology. We used the microwave too much, that is not good. We were out of control with sensibility on it, it was my wifes decision.

My brother was using an ion meter to test things. His microwave filled the kitchen with positive ions. The strange thing is that I was giving off ions for some reason. Nobody else was. I was somehow collecting ions from the environment. I have no idea why that was. I must be a big capacitor

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well we don't know if all we needed was a belt. The wachine machine made a high whining noise, so I thought maybe belt. But it was a pair from my grandmother's estate, maybe 14 years old, and had been moved 3 times. The dryer went first, maybe 6 weeks ago. Now if I'd been smart I would have just gotten a set...but alas cheapskate, so a couple weeks after the dryer, the washer goes. Lucky for us, there is a used and new appliance store 30 minutes from us with free deliver to our small town and 6 month warrantees on their rebuilt items, so they were under 300 each. So they delivered both the dryer and the washer close together, and they prefer to sell in sets too. I should have just done the math and realized it was time. But I'm a cheapskate about these things.
edit on 10-12-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
now, if i can only get my wife to do the ironing i would be happy

new topics

top topics

join