It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanists seek spot on Oklahoma Statehouse steps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think that there are a fair number of people who might think this is a good thing...

"In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse steps."

...But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.

Apparently one design involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children.

Maybe I'm too conservative rejecting this, but if this proposal is accepted and built, will people continue to acquiesce to whatever is thrown at them?

Link:
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AwrTWfwKQ6VSBhkAGB3QtDMD

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pandersway

Greaves said one potential design involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children. He said he expects the monument, if approved by Oklahoma officials, would cost about $20,000.

A pentagram is NOT a satanic symbol.

I think this is a good thing. People need to think twice about putting granite monuments up to lay religious territorial claim. The 10 Commandments doesn't belong in front of the court house any more than a Satanic monument or a monument to Sharia Law. It's all the same thing.

Maybe every courthouse should have "religious/non-religious garden" where everyone can erect granite monuments, one to L Ron Hubbard, another one for the atheists, and lets not forget the Wiccan and all the other religions not listed.

edit on 8-12-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

nor is St Peter's Cross...

when I see the pentagram my mind always goes back to Pythagoras, those were the days.

satanism gotz no originality... weak sheeet!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

That's fine if everyone seezs it your way

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

satanism gotz no originality... weak sheeet!

^^Ditto the 10 Commandments......weak sheeet!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I think this is more of a statement than anything. It won't pass, though. Politicians don't know enough about satanism and the conservative ones will just flip sheet over it. Never should've put up the 10 commandments to begin with. Separation of church and state!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

Yeah I find it really weird that this sort activity is even happening let alone being reported.... It's the fact that satanists want to be publicly recognized that doesn't sit well with me. I guess I'm just too old-fashioned. Hopefully nothing will come of it.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

non-compete clause... they always lose!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

The 10 Commandments doesn't belong in front of the court house any more than a Satanic monument or a monument to Sharia Law. It's all the same thing.

Exactly.

It's about time we followed through with the whole 'separation of Church and State'.

Or if that's not how it was intended to be applied in our Nation, then we shouldn't discriminate against a particular one (Satanism in this case?). OP be honest. You're fine with Christian stuff there but you'd take qualm with other religions having a spot next to yours.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Article summation:

Republican-controlled legislature privately funded Christian monuments to be put on Capitol grounds.

Legal experts questioned its constitutionality.

Satanists took notice and plan to donate their own monument on Capitol grounds.

Christians are upset.

Legal experts say boo hoo.

"We would prefer to see Oklahoma's government officials work to faithfully serve our communities and improve the lives of Oklahomans instead of erecting granite monuments to show us all how righteous they are," Henderson said. "But if the Ten Commandments, with its overtly Christian message, is allowed to stay at the Capitol, the Satanic Temple's proposed monument cannot be rejected because of its different religious viewpoint."

edit on 9-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I agree with you. That's not even supposed to be there, it's not fair to other religions. Satanists are trying to make a point, either allow any religious display or allow none, that is the only way to be Fair.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

It's about time we followed through with the whole 'separation of Church and State'.

Or, it's about time they put up a monument to whom the lawmakers really pay homage!

Could it be.............

The Devil is in the details!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

pandersway
I think that there are a fair number of people who might think this is a good thing...

"In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse steps."

...But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.

Apparently one design involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children.

Maybe I'm too conservative rejecting this, but if this proposal is accepted and built, will people continue to acquiesce to whatever is thrown at them?

Link:
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AwrTWfwKQ6VSBhkAGB3QtDMD

And where is the Freedom From Religion Foundation?

Oh wait it is not a Christian or a Christian organization what was I thinking.

edit on 9-12-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Actually, it's about time we understood the whole 'separation of Church and State'.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Putting up a "Ten Commandments" monument does not establish a religion, nor does it prohibit the free exercise of religion. In Van Orden v. Perry, 545 U.S. 677 (2005), the US Supreme Court upheld the right of a government (Texas, in that case) to put up a "Ten Commandments" monument, because of the secular nature of that monument (historical significance) prevented the conclusion that it was a purely religious symbol. As there is clear legal precedent, I presume that the Oklahoma situation is similar, and that the Satanists will need to similarly demonstrate a secular interest in their monument in order for it to stand.

I have nothing against the Satanists putting up their monument, so long as it works within US legal guidelines, though I find it ironic and hypocritical that those who are against religious monuments that are Christian in nature are rubbing their hands together in glee over this -- if you're against one religion putting up monuments, you should against all of them doing so.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yes, I'm all about separation of law and state! How dare they put up a monument to the law at a state building!

This always gets made into a religious issue. Why, then, don't we order the SCOTUS to chip the 10 commandments off the frieze on their building? Oh, because it's part of a monument to the law.

I'd be far more sympathetic to the idiotic Satanists if they wanted to erect a monument to Hammurabi.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

How dare they put up a monument to the law at a state building!

What law? The 10 Commandments aren't law.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by ketsuko

How dare they put up a monument to the law at a state building!

What law? The 10 Commandments aren't law.

At least for anyone but Israel.

Mal 4:4 ¶ Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

At least for anyone but Israel.

Do you mean the Nation of Israel? LOL, even they don't follow the 10 Commandments.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I could say quite a bit about this issue, but don't feel like getting into a "peeing match" with anyone. However, I will share a few thoughts:

The Ten Commandments are about honoring, morality, decency, etc...all things that laws should portray. While I don't pretend to be an aficionado concerning Satanism, it IS my understanding that it is NOT about anything decent...so I am wondering why anyone would want to associate Satanism to law! IMO, having a statue dedicated to Satanism at the State House WOULD BE associating Satanism to law.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

if you're against one religion putting up monuments, you should against all of them doing so.

Which I am.

As I read it these Satanists are in fact proposing the monument under the same 'guidelines' the Christian monument used as legal precedent. You talked about the hypocrisy. Let's acknowledge all of it shall we.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join