It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Bar goes too far?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Krakatoa

Bisman
yeah how dare we not remain mad. the plan isnt going to work if we just turn the other cheek and move on.

It has nothing to do with being mad at all....but everything to do with respecting those that lost their lives that fateful day. I guess respect is a thing that some folks just don't understand, shame really.

My wife and I discuss this kind of thing quite often. It is "words" vs "intent". She is a big "words" person. Where I am more about "intent". Thus, you could walk in and say, "I hate you you fat freaking slob" and I likely would only be angry if you intended it to be hurtful. If you were my best friend, i might reply with, "Yeah, well try to make it to your car without sniffing some old ladies wheeelchair" or some other such nonsense.

Words vs intent really does matter. It allows you to understand that people say stupid things, but don't really mean anything by it. And it is refreshing, because once you have that viewpoint you suddenly find that you are no longer insulted by things in everyday life. Because, truly, people are more often just stupid rather than insulting.

So i tend to take the viewpoint of, if my words weren't intended to insult, then any insult isn't my problem but rather the problem of the person who feels insulted. The intent wasn't there until they put it there. It is there intent to deal with.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I think its funny. What I also find funny is all the people that got pissed!
Have we lost our sense of humor? I can bet you a hundred dollars, that most of the vets that seen that had a chuckle. Furthermore they probably went in and had some!

See they come from an era where jokes were jokes, and not some platform for some p@ssy to cry about

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Tylerdurden1
I think its funny. What I also find funny is all the people that got pissed!
Have we lost our sense of humor? I can bet you a hundred dollars, that most of the vets that seen that had a chuckle. Furthermore they probably went in and had some!

See they come from an era where jokes were jokes, and not some platform for some p@ssy to cry about

I guess you proved my point that some folks just do not understand respect anymore. Too bad really, I feel sorry for you and your family that had to live with such a disrespectful person all their lives.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Dont feel sorry for me, I still have my b@lls attached. I feel sorry for you as well, running around raising your blood pressure, about a war you never fought in....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Tylerdurden1

Tyler- If a bar promoted a 911 special w/Bin Laden-named shots would you find that funny too? Or what if they called the tall 24oz beers "Towers" and buy 1 get 1 free so you can throw down "twin towers" drinks. Would that be cool?

Just curious if you share that same sentiment with other national tragedies of the past...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Sure why not? Its the past, why do I care anymore. At the time I was just as pissed as everyone else about it, I was sad as well. Now that its in the past, I still remember, but I wont let it dictate my life!

You guys have every right to be mad about it, Im not saying dont, what I am saying is that everyone needs to lighten the hell up.

So you two can raise your blood pressure, I will sit back, remember the fallen and hope that history will stop repeating its self. Sorry if I dont react the way you want me to, thats just not me.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

jhn7537

Tyler- If a bar promoted a 911 special w/Bin Laden-named shots would you find that funny too? Or what if they called the tall 24oz beers "Towers" and buy 1 get 1 free so you can throw down "twin towers" drinks. Would that be cool?

Just curious if you share that same sentiment with other national tragedies of the past...

Bah. Nationalism.

I live thousands of miles away from NY. Its effect on me was only ancillary, mostly related to air travel nationwide.

It doesn't matter what nation is happened in. It was horrible for those folks.

I make for a poor Christian. But I believe the lesson to be learned in the "judge not lest ye be judged" is to not worry about what others are doing. It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. A lot of folks on ATS rant and rave about freedom and liberty. But they then line up to judge people for being free.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I'm not a person who is losing sleep over this. I find myself smack dab in the middle of this discussion, where I can understand both sides, but I wouldn't say I favor one way over the other. I do believe we live in a ultra PC world today where every thing that's said or written is scrutinized, but I also think national tragedies may always be off-limits...

Example, what if a Boston bar next year during the marathon writes "Come get bombed in here today and celebrate"... I get that the Boston bombing is in the past, but I do believe in that instance it would be too soon...
edit on 9-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Thats their right. Its a touchy subject, and they know they will get some negitive feed back. Its insensitive. But talking about Pearl Harbor, after this many years is fine to me. Its just another war, in countless others.

You are correct about EVERYTHING becoming so PC, that soon all we will be doing is grunting and standing in a corner, until that offends somebody.
edit on 9-12-2013 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Tylerdurden1
reply to post by jhn7537

...soon all we will be doing is grunting and standing in a corner, until that offends somebody.

Don't you do that already??

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I cannot BELIEVE that Geico commercial. Making light of the Boston Tea Party. That is a national event, and it is just too soon to be making light of it!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
I cannot BELIEVE that Geico commercial. Making light of the Boston Tea Party. That is a national event, and it is just too soon to be making light of it!!!

There's a pretty big difference there, where nobody died from that historic event. Wouldn't you agree?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Oh how cute. You have to attack me, because you dont have anything intelligent to say.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Quite ingenious. Quite incorrect too. There were no Kamikazes at Pearl Harbor. That came much later as a last ditch effort. Kamikazes might actually be a compliment. The US had forced them so far that Divine Wind was the only option they had left.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Celebrate with bombs and kamikazes??? Why was this place NOT raided by the feds?? They are clearly inciting domestic terrorism.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Krakatoa

bigfatfurrytexan

There's a pretty big difference there, where nobody died from that historic event. Wouldn't you agree?

There will always be a difference where one is wanted.

ETA: look at what these sunsabitches did!!! Making light of our brave soldiers attempts to defeat the Nazis!!!

www.imdb.com...
edit on 9-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

groingrinder
Celebrate with bombs and kamikazes??? Why was this place NOT raided by the feds?? They are clearly inciting domestic terrorism.

Well, I wouldn't state that they're 'clearly inciting domestic terrorism', but I will say their post was a little insensitive..

For those of you who don't drink shots like this.

Kamikaze shot is:

1.25 oz Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka
0.25 oz triple sec
0.25 oz lime juice

And a "bomb" shot is any shot of alcohol you drop into a pint glass filled half-way with energy drink (Monster, Red Bull, etc.)...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Tylerdurden1

Oh how cute. You have to attack me, because you don't have anything intelligent to say.

Just trying to speak at your level, since it seems you can't comprehend the idea of respecting someone, anyone. You are right, I stooped to your level....I feel so ashamed. < rolls eyes >

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

LOL, get off your high horse. You arent any better than anyone else here. You think because you have outrage, and your grand daddy was there you are better?

Not once did I attack you. You felt the need because you cant contribute to the conversation any longer, and nothing of merit to say except for "my grand daddy was there Im so angry!".

So personal attacks aside, pull your b@lls out of your wifes/girlfriends/boyfriends purse.

Oh and at leste I have a valid discussion point on the topic and have the guts to stand by it, instead of cowering in this neo fascist PC way of thinking.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So, back on-topic.

Considering this instance, are there any instances that should be considered too sensitive a subject to avoid in this manner? Is any marketing copy, of any type, truly acceptable at all times? Or is there a limit, one that is not controlled by legal means in the United States?

edit on 12/9/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

<< 1    3 >>

join