It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Political Powers In Secret Trade Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Obama sells out again

www.huffingtonpost.com...

“WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration appears to have almost no international support for controversial new trade standards that would grant radical new political powers to corporations, increase the cost of prescription medications and restrict bank regulation, according to two internal memos obtained by The Huffington Post.”

Obama, one of the biggest frauds and con-men of the modern political era, by his pretension of being “progressive” is AGAIN selling out to the corporate hogs of today who now will enjoy further exploitation of American workers and the middle class because of the “new trade standards that would grant radical new political powers to corporations, increase the cost of prescription medications and restrict bank regulation, according to two internal memos obtained by The Huffington Post.”

Previously leaked TPP documents have sparked alarm among global health experts, Internet freedom activists, environmentalists and organized labor, but are adamantly supported by American corporations and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The Obama administration has deemed negotiations to be classified information -- banning members of Congress from discussing the American negotiating position with the press or the public. Congressional staffers have been restricted from viewing the documents. One of the most controversial provisions in the talks includes new corporate empowerment language insisted upon by the U.S. government, which would allow foreign companies to challenge laws or regulations in a privately run international court. Under World Trade Organization treaties, this political power to contest government law is reserved for sovereign nations. The U.S. has endorsed some corporate political powers in prior trade agreements, including the North American Free Trade Agreement, but the scope of what laws can be challenged appears to be much broader in TPP negotiations.

Obama got elected lying to the people that he would fight for the common man, and now we see that he is just another corporate flunky who lives and breathes so the super-rich can build bigger golf courses, and erect more opulent mansions, and steal more money from the American middle class through legal but morally bankrupt banking practices that will inevitably crash the economy, as well aiding the mercenary pharmaceutical drug dealers.
What makes it so bad is again Obama is trying to hide what he is doing:

“The Obama administration has deemed negotiations to be classified information -- banning members of Congress from discussing the American negotiating position with the press or the public. Congressional staffers have been restricted from viewing the documents.”

I hope people see what is going on in the dead of night and as we stopped the attempt to start another war in the mideast, we stop the Obama administration from selling out the American people to the corporations again.
But I have very little hope in saving the sinking ship of the American middle class

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hmmm? Singapore is specifically mentioned in this article. Seems that country is a thorn in someone's side. Hey let's give them something to think about like a typhoon?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

I should be surprised and in such a state of shock that I am no longer able to think correctly and be angry. Unfortunately, nothing the Obama administration does any more surprises or shocks me.

I wonder what if anything he used to justify keeping this one a secret?

I sit here thinking about all of the past presidents who were impeached(or forced to resign) for so much less and wonder WTF!

Never mind I forgot they were all Caucasians. It would be racist to think of impeaching Mr. O
edit on 12/8/2013 by colddeadhands because: couldn't let the thought go!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

These global mega corporations care about people even less than the government (if that's even possible.) Their bottom line is money, plain and simple. The government bottom line is taxes and control.

As for the government they would rather collect the same or more taxes from low wage earners (the poor) than from an aware and active middle class. The poor are easier to control. Hence we have a nice tie in between expanding new corporate political power and "fixing US immigration policies."

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Before I reply to this, I am going to remove my post for being off topic, censor the language, chastise myself and finally ban myself.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Maybe Obama is trying to get impeached, but nobody will let it happen.

He keeps trying, and trying, but people defend the name Obama no matter what.

Doesnt suprise me though- corporations took over long ago. They are one in the same with the word government.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
So this is what Obama meant by transparency. It's not like he is the first puppet president.

I'm about ready to renounce my US citizenship. I would love to fight to save the US, I can't do it alone. While a lot of people talk big, the reality is we have become a nation of cowards and idiots who will continue to let the corporations and big bank steal from us.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I read this article earlier this evening. I found it especially interesting as the source (The Huffington Post) is quite a left-leaning site. For them to be this up-front and clear in their critique and reporting on the story is indicative of how bad it really is. IMHO, of course.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Common Good

Doesnt suprise me though- corporations took over long ago. They are one in the same with the word government.

Obama is a communist puppet.. Quit focusing on the puppet. The Patriot Act was the lethal wound, America just took awhile to bleed out.

If there was a group of communists pulling strings, then the ELites got exactly what they want. All the wealth. And now, that they have it all, the gears of the machine are effectively clogged..

Give the greedy all the wealth then they can extract no more blood from the stone.. Turnips, that is all the ELites have today, green federal reserve turnips..

Checkmate by the Commies.. the Greed of the ELites have picked the fields clean, eaten all the food AND seed.

Cut open the Golden Goose... the AMERICAN FACTORY MACHINE.. to get the Golden Eggs.. the Wealth of the Middle Class..

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I consider the US to be a corporate oligarchy. With all the domestic spying and propaganda encourage citizens to 'call the authorities if you see you neighbor doing something suspicious' we do have some alarming parallels to the German Nazis.

The republican vs democrat, liberal vs conservative divide is nothing but a facade. Elected Democrats and Republicans serve the same corporate oligarchy. The facade is in place so the people can blame each other, a distraction from what is really going wrong.

I have lost my faith in voting. Rigged elections are easy to pull off(the US has been doing it for decades in Central and South America), however most of the time it is not necessary when both front runners will play to the corporate oligarchy and the majority will not vote third party because they have been conditioned that voting that way is a waste of a vote.

The US is a sinking ship, no doubt about it. The real questioned is can she be saved?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

HanzHenry

Common Good

Obama is a communist puppet.. Quit focusing on the puppet. The Patriot Act was the lethal wound, America just took awhile to bleed out.

If there was a group of communists pulling strings, then the ELites got exactly what they want. All the wealth. And now, that they have it all, the gears of the machine are effectively clogged..

Give the greedy all the wealth then they can extract no more blood from the stone.. Turnips, that is all the ELites have today, green federal reserve turnips..

Checkmate by the Commies.. the Greed of the ELites have picked the fields clean, eaten all the food AND seed.

Cut open the Golden Goose... the AMERICAN FACTORY MACHINE.. to get the Golden Eggs.. the Wealth of the Middle Class..

I really dont know how to respond to this.

I cant argue with it, and I can not contest it.

What do you propose? Stick our butts up in the air and grab our ankles?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

What an unsurprise . . . The globalist Destroyer-in-Chief; narcissist-in-chief; pathological liar-in-chief . . . oligarchy stooge

STRIKES AGAIN . . . at the freedoms, health, culture, of America and of her middle class.

The noose and straight jacket of tyranny spreads further and tightens . . . the serfs and slaves are further enslaved . . .

The skies darken yet more . . . the rush toward chaos and hell speeds up yet again.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

STOP VOTING... IMMEDIATELY..

by voting in the SHAM system, people are giving their "ok, I'll play" to the game.

When election day comes, and only crickets chirp.. THEN there will be the needed paradigm people need.

then, by not voting, there is justification to do the ICELAND "pots and pans."

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Bilk22
Hmmm? Singapore is specifically mentioned in this article. Seems that country is a thorn in someone's side. Hey let's give them something to think about like a typhoon?

Yes and you are aware of the massive rioting, there at the moment by workers. But apparently not related ( cough )-

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Good. It seems the only way we're going to avoid this nightmare of a trade deal is for other nation's to back out of it. Congressional aides are saying that the House and Senate are close to reaching a deal to fast track it.

House and Senate negotiators are closing in on a deal to "fast-track" the Trans-Pacific Partnership, according to congressional aides who spoke to The New York Times.

Approval of trade promotion authority for the TPP would effectively insulate the trade agreement from legislative obstacles in Congress, like filibusters and poison-pill amendments. Granting fast-track status to potential U.S. trade agreements has become standard practice in recent years.

On Capitol Hill, the negotiations have been led by Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus of Montana, a Democrat, and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp of Michigan, a Republican. Both men lead the powerful tax-writing committees in their respective chambers.

Aides told the Times that lawmakers were aiming to have a deal together by the end of the legislative session in two weeks, although they were skeptical that any final approval would be voted on before the New Year.

Huffington Post

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
One word...
Impeachment.

-Peace-

new topics

top topics

join