It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recent, new, and future warships the world is making

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Danish Command & Support Vessel :

ABSALON:

The command & support ships can perform a number of national and inter-national task, including transportation of personal and material, command platform for land, air and sea operations. The ship also has a mine laying capacity. It also has the capacity to carry out humanitarian operations as a hospital ship.

The ship is fitted with a 900 square meter flexible deck to perform in different operations and has a roll-on-roll-off (RO/RO) capacity aft.

Launched: February 25, 2004

Complement: 100 men, cabins for 169 men.
Total lodging capacity up til 300 men.

Propulsion: 2 ea MTU 8000 M70 engines at 8.200 kW each
2 ea Propellers
1 ea Bow thruster (15 tons pressure)

Range: 9,000 nautical miles

Armament:
1 ea 127 mm Gun M/02 LvSa (5” Mk 45 Mod 4)

From 2005:

4 stk. Harpoon SSM (2x2)
1 stk. Sea Sparrow VLS Mk. 48 Launcher (1x6)
7 stk. 12.7 mm Heavy Machine Gun M/01 LvSa

2 ea 35 mm Close-In-Weapon-Systems
? ea Stinger SAM
? ea SEAGNAT/SBROC Mk. 36
? ea MU90 323 mm Anti submarine torpedoes
? ea Mines

Additional space for:

2 ea Landing Crafts of the LCP Class
2 ea Augusta-Westland EH-101 Helicopters

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The Eilat class Sa'ar 5 corvette became part of the Israeli Navy after the Israeli Navy contracted with Northrop Gruman Ship Systems to supply three ships. Israel launched the first Eilat class ship in February 1993, followed by the second in August 1993, and the third in March 1994. The three Eilat class corvettes currently in service are the INS Eilat, the INS Lahav, and the INS Hanit.

Weapon Systems
The Eilat class corvette is equipped with three types of missile systems: Barak, Harpoon, and Gabriel II. The Barak missile system was developed by Israeli Air Industries and Rafael, and has both anti-air and anti-surface capability. The Barak missile is vertically launched from two cells in the ship's bow and has a maximum range of 10 km.

The Eilat class corvette can be equipped with either an OTO Melara 3 76 mm main gun, a Bofors 57 mm gun, or a Vulcan Phalanx Mk 15 25 mm CIWS weapon system. The Eilat class corvette contains six 324 mm torpedo tubes mounted midway along the length of the ship, each tube can hold one Alliant Techsystems Mark 46 torpedo. The ship can also has one helicopter hanger capable of holding an H-665 Dauphin, a Kaman SH-2F, or a Sikorsky S-76N.

source

Wow looks really advanced, I wonder what ship its based on. It looks like its based on the Visby, but that would be weird since the Visby came out only a couple of years ago. And this warship came before it. I'll try and find some info on the visby program guys.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The Horizon Common New Generation Frigate (CNGF) is a multi-nationial collaboration to produce a new generation of anti-air warfare frigates. It is named Orizzonte in Italian and Horizon in French.

France, Italy and the UK issued a joint requirement in 1992 after the failure of the NATO Frigate Replacement (NFR-90) project. The resulting CNGF program consisted of the Horizon frigate and its Principle Anti Air Missile System (PAAMS.)
source

Wow the PAAMS missile system is suppose to be one of the best! I can't wait till this ship comes out. Right now only Italy, and France are acutally buying these ships, two for each country so far.
Wow all these defense projects have connections to others, I'll try and find some more info later. Here is the specs for the ship

Displacement: 5600 tons (6635 tons full load)
Length: 152,87 m
Beam: 20,3 m
Draught: 5,4 m
Propulsion: 2 x 31280 HP GE/Fiat Avio LM2500+ gas turbines
2 x 5875 HP SEMT Pielstick 12 PA6 STC diesels
1 bean propulsor
2 x 4-blade propellers

Speed: 29 knots (18 on diesel)
Range: 7000 nm at 18 knts, 3500 nm at 25 knots
Complement: 26 officers
110 petty officers
38 sailors
32 passengers or admirals (optional)

Armament: 8 MM40 Block 3
1 NGDS system(2 decoy launchers, REM, RIR, LAD)
1 radar jammer
1 communication jammer
1 Contralto system (2 acoustic decoy launchers).
PAAMS Principal Anti-Air Missile System (48 Aster 15 or 30 missiles in Sylver A50 vertical launchers, EMPAR multifonction radar on G band.)
2 × Otobreda 76 mm super rapid guns

Planes 1 NH90 helicopter (radar ENR, sonar Flash, LADT 11, Marte missiles or MU90 Impact torpedoes)

Some pics...

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEAL Trident

Originally posted by Kenshin
Currently the worlds largest military ship, excluding carriers and support vessels. The Kirov is also the best lookling out of all the other military craft in the world

Didn't they get scraped because the Russians couldn't afford 2 keep em running? I luved it 2. [runs off crying, and punches dog]

The Kirov cruiser represents exactly what I have said about the Soviets/Russians;
-equipment looks good, scary, even beautiful, but in reality it is impractical, and not battle worthy. I will explain; this behelmoth is a beauty with racing yaught lines, and supersonic sea skimming missiles, and about every other naval weapon the Russians could think of that would fit on her hull. She (Kirov class) has a huge radar signature (unlike the stealth DDX in the USN), requires off board targeting to get to use her wonderful fast missiles, is detectable from hundreds of miles away and thousands by satellite, as much as a carrier, but has no long range air defense like the carrier, other than missiles. And her "SA-6/10 Grumble" missiles don't have the range of the US SM-2 block 3/4, or SM-3 ABM, not to mention the lack of any sort of phased array radar. She is a beautiful, powerful looking ship that any 10th grader could have thought up, with no clear mission or real capability. Better to spend the money on reproducing a Nimitz Class carrier. Russian Kirov has no usable capability, is costly, has limited mission capability and no mission flexibility, but darn if it doesn't look good, and real scary to the uneducated in naval warfare. (Unless, I suppose, you think this thing is going to approach a Nimitz class carrier unharmed to get within missile range,which is unrealistic at best. I would imagine several hundred attacks could be made starting with a coupld dozen HARMs, coordinated with Harpoons, Maverics, Standard ARMs, JDAMs, JASSMs, Tommahawks from Subs, and then to finish her off, laser guided bombs) This thing is nothing but a target that would be easy to find. I am sure the leaders of most third world countries would be impressed. Now a REAL warship would be the RN Type-45, or the USN DDX, both of which are breaking new ground and will revolutionize naval warfare for the next two decades at least. That is the future and what will dominate the oceans.

[edit on 25-1-2006 by Sandman11]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join