It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Thailand Lay Down Weapons and Join with Protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
For anyone who doesn't know what has been going down in Thailand as of late, there has been a string of mass protests against the current government, accusing them of corruption.

"Our only goal is that there must be no Thaksin regime in Thailand anymore," the protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban said, rejecting the prime minister’s call for talks, while a lawmaker from the ruling Puea party said that "the government will not instigate a violent situation because that is exactly what Suthep wants... we will not be provoked."

Link

These protests have been remarkably successful and protesters have stormed major military and political buildings. The newest information to come out of Thailand is that the police have given up firing teargas and have JOINED IN!

Earlier this week in Thailand, a shocking turn of events took place. Ordered to harass and block protestors , policemen instead yielded to the peaceful riot by laying down their barricades and helmets as a sign of solidarity

The current PM, Yingluck Shinawatra, is the sister of the previous PM, Thakskin Shinawatra. Thakskin was accused of deceit and corruption and his sister is considered a puppet of her brother.

I remember my time in Thailand seeing the face of Thakskin everywhere, you were not allowed to publicly offend him and it felt quite oppressive. I am not 100% familiar with how well this new PM (the first female PM of Thailand) is doing but she seems to have her haters.

My question to you ATS, is do you think this will be a huge step for reform in Thailand? Or will we see another Egypt style revolution that would turn the country into turmoil, thoughts?

Article

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Thailand is a weird little place that would give a Social Science pro an endless migraine headache in one area. Their Government.

I'm happy to see the cops flip sides to help unseat the PM...but what cooks my noodle to ponder? The same cops stomping up and down and being pissed off about a Prime Minister will turn in horror if you call their King a flaming idiot and arrest you for it. The locals will likely react well to see it done, by what I understand of it, too. So totally and deeply the concept of Monarchy seems to be ingrained there.

I understand the concept of modern monarchy not being at the direct reins of power and daily control, the way it has historically been...but they are still the same Government. How can one hate the smaller guy and look at the guy above in reverent awe, with no mental connection between the tolerance of one allowing for the existence of the other?

I'm feeling a headache already... Here is hoping the Thai people work it back into a happy state, however that has to come. They're a good people with a rich and beautiful nation.

(Even the story reads so differently, I had to check my facts to be positive. Yup.. Constitutional Monarchy, that's Thailand. King Phumiphon Adunyadet presiding)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ah, I didn't know about the monarch when I ventured there! Perhaps that was who's profile I saw adorned everywhere!

So do you think this is a positive move by the Thai population? The current PM still has a lot of support.

Even though it is a beautiful country and a very rich culture, poverty is insane out there. I remember paying one of the Tuk-Tuk drivers the equivalent of £10 and he was blessing us for feeding his family for the month!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Can see your 'headache'. However the only way of looking at this is that perhaps if the Monarch is corrupt or encouraging corruption in any way, he will have to change as any new government won't want to go down the removal road a second time.

I was heartened to read this simply from the perspective that perhaps Police forces all over the world will remember that they are not fighting crime, but being used as pawns to protect corrupt politicians and corrupt establishments - that have no respect or concern for the welfarfe of the police any more that their citizens.

I hate reports on tv of the well armoured cops swinging their sticks and wounding people ,who are trying to demonstrate that they are sick of being ripped off and want corruption gone and a freedom of choice brought back into their countries. They are protesting against criminals the police should be arresting.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Great!!!! Im off to Thailand for a few weeks on Tuesday. Hat Yai, Phuket then Bangkok

If its still going down Ill get in amongst it and report back for yall
edit on 8/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Just watch things and be careful! Thailand is the most stable and safe bastion of civilization in South Asia (historically speaking, I mean literally in terms of stable and unbroken for peaceful society)...but it can always depart the norms and make a new chapter in Thai history too. Just don't get in the middle of something to find that's the day history decided a more 'interesting' chapter needed to start.

I'm thinking of Bangkok more than anything... Enjoy Phuket. I've only seen it in reference to the past disaster for focus, but it looks beautiful! I'd love to go some time myself.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Don't forget to go see the pink buffalos of Koh Samui. And stay away from women with adams apples.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I just returned from a 7 month trip to Thailand and Myanmar. I guess everything boils down to the Buddhistic way of life. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, and showing anger or other vengeful feelings, you find other ways of protesting. To really understand their way of life you need to study Buddhism. You cannot use your western or Christian standards wheb you try to understand what they do and why they do something.

top topics

join